Why become a member? ×

What to do ... ? Keep on waiting or sell and start again??

DanOwens

Hey guys.

Two years ago Warwickhunt sold off two of his Tech Soundsystems cabs and i got the neo 1x15. I bought it because I was gigging in a DnB band a lot and I thought I needed a 'sub' cab.

Problem is, I've been skint since then so haven't bought a head for it. Thankfully I'm earning enough again but I've now realise I'll also need another cab to be able to gig (I'm no longer just playing DnB, and I need some definition as well as sub).

I've also collected a Hartke MX 4x10 and Transporter 1x15 with upgraded speaker, and still have my old Marshall BassState150.

So now I'm waiting for a TechSoundsystems 1x10/2x10/1x12/2x12 and a second-hand Little Mark II to finally put this rig together but when I bought the 1x15 the market was full of these and now they're gone.

So what to do? Do I sell the Tech 1x15? Do I buy a head and use the Hartke cabs (I REALLY don't want to carry them!!!) and keep waiting??

Or do I sell the lot. EVERYTHING!! For whatever I can get for it and just buy my girlfriend a holiday. I'm totally exasperated!!!

How long do you have to wait for these things??

Dan

Edited by TheBrokenDoor

I'd never even thought of just using the 15". The online specs state it's a fullrange cab but on the back it actually says it range ends more around 4.5kHz. I take it this isn't too low?

I suppose I'd know if I had a head to try it through and I originally intended to just take the head out of the Marshall but after removing all the screws, it still wouldn't budge so in 2 years, I've actually never heard the cab.

Oh the embarrassment!!!

What do you reckon for the Hartke cabs? Not great nick, but the transporter with replaced speaker is nice? I also don't drive, so pickup is a must??

Thanks everyone!! Oh, and Ste, if you insist I'll take your tech cab off you ... for free? I couldn't .. have a chomp on me!!!

Dan

[quote name='TheBrokenDoor' post='144931' date='Feb 22 2008, 12:01 PM']I'd never even thought of just using the 15". The online specs state it's a fullrange cab but on the back it actually says it range ends more around 4.5kHz. I take it this isn't too low?[/quote]

4.5kHz on-axis sounds about right for a decent 15" - off-axis you'll find you stop getting useful response above about 1.5kHz, so be sure to point the speaker towards your ears if you want to hear the rest of your highs. There isn't a much amount of harmonic output from basses above 5kHz, it tends to just be percussive sounds (plucking attack, fret sounds, string squeak, etc). I'm strongly of the belief that a good 15" plus a good midrange speaker is the most practical solution for hearing the true sound of your bass from a loud and light package but even without a mid speaker a 15" on its own can be pretty nice.

Alex

Hey if you're struggling Dan I'll have the TECH back off you :)

When I had it with the 2x10 I tended to take the 2x10 on its own to rehearsals, on one occasion I took the 1x15 on its own and was very pleasantly surprised. As Alex says it works best when aimed right at you (tricky when it's such a small cab on the floor) but I put it on a table for rehearsals and it was fine as a monitor. Not sure that I'd want it as my sole cab for a gig with drummer but I've no idea of your band set-up or volume!

Alex - So you're suggesting a second mid-range cab, such as the ones I listed in my first post? That's what I thought as I'd reckoned i'd need the mids to actually hear the fundamentals, as opposed to just ball-shaking bass.

Warwick - I mainly play in reasonably low-volume groups but the DnB band play large stages with pretty rubbish monitoring and the drummer really hits the kit. That's the only one but it's also the one that I gig with most, at higher level of gigs (not just toilet circuit).

So it looks like I should hold out for the Little Mark II then the 1x10 or 1x12 after? This is what I've been doing, but how often to Tech NDs come up second hand? What a blag!!!

Anyone wanna part with theirs? Please? Pretty please?

Dan

[quote name='TheBrokenDoor' post='145103' date='Feb 22 2008, 03:09 PM']Alex - So you're suggesting a second mid-range cab, such as the ones I listed in my first post? That's what I thought as I'd reckoned i'd need the mids to actually hear the fundamentals, as opposed to just ball-shaking bass.[/quote]

No, I'm saying the 15" can do a decent job on its own but if you want more midrange/treble content, particularly off-axis, then a custom cab with a small midrange cone and built in crossover will work wonders. The problem with using a 10" or 12" to add higher frequency content is they're both still pretty hopeless at dispersing the highs in a useful manner instead of beaming the ice pick in the ear sound to whoever has the misfortune of moving exactly on-axis.

I'm gradually getting myself set up at home to build cabs so if I find it a pleasurable process as opposed to a task to be endured to get better sound for less money then I might make the odd design available.

Alex

[quote name='TheBrokenDoor' post='147080' date='Feb 26 2008, 08:30 AM']I'm on the hunt for a suitable head (gonna have a peak at the little giants). If that doesn't go well, I way let the cab go, so I'll keep you all posted!!

Dan[/quote]

Hey bud,
If the Little Giant ain't suitable and the regular Little Mark is a bit pricey, you should check out the Little Mark 250, can be had for less than £300.
I got one last year with an Aguilar GS112 and I'm loving it!
I know it's only putting out 150 Watts at 8 Ohms but it's more than replaced the 200W 15" Trace Combo I was using before and I know I can add another GS112 and get all the wattage out of it.
150 Watts with a decent speaker, which you've got already, is good enough for quiet(ish) gigs and for on stage monitoring when using a PA at bigger gigs.

Just my 2p.

Cheers,
Eude

Cheers Eude.

Its safe to say (at the moment) I'm never doing large gigs unmonitored. Problem is, if that changes I'd rather not have to go and buy another head because I didn't have to foresight or patience to wait for a LM2 500w. I'm struggling to afford one head as it is.

I had seriously considered the LM250, but if I'm gonna sacrifice anything it'll probably not be power (although having written that sentence, I realise it's utter tosh.)

Dan