Why become a member? ×

Squier Vintage Modified P bass

nottswarwick

[quote name='nottswarwick' post='1257523' date='Jun 5 2011, 05:46 PM']Hi

I've found the above bass used and local to me, but before I buy it, does anyone know how I can tell from the serial number that it is on fact a genuine vintage modified one and not just a boggo squire?[/quote]

There aren't many models of VM P-basses, I don't think it'd be hard to tell whether it's original or a made up one... and I don't imagine people are faking these at the moment :)
I have a VM Jazz and I can't find anything in the serial number that would tell you anything useful...

Edited by mcnach

[quote name='nottswarwick' post='1257523' date='Jun 5 2011, 05:46 PM']Hi

I've found the above bass used and local to me, but before I buy it, does anyone know how I can tell from the serial number that it is on fact a genuine vintage modified one and not just a boggo squire?[/quote]

Cant help you Im afraid - but a very good question you've posed ? . . . . . . I saw/played one of these in a shop a while ago and looked it over . . . . was struggling to tell what are the components on it that qualify it to be called "vintage modified" . . . . what exactly are the modified bits ? . . . . .

On the Jazz fretless I can sort of understand it . . . . er . . um . . . its got the scratchplate removed ! . . . . not exactly a mind blowing modification but something at least to qualify that model to have "modified" in its name ! . . . on the vintage Modified P Bass I couldn't work out what had been moified at all ?

Am I missing something here ? ?

By the way . . notwithstanding the above, that vintage Modified P Bass played very well . . . . squier certainly are turning out some good value for money basic instruments these days ?

As for your question . . . just try it out . . . and if you like it . . . and if it sounds good ? . . . feels good ? . . plays well ? . . . well maybe thats all that counts ? . . just buy it ?

Edited by Nostromo

[quote name='nottswarwick' post='1257562' date='Jun 5 2011, 06:22 PM']Thanks. It wasn't that I thought it a fake, just that they might be selling it as something it is not.[/quote]

Not trying to be argumentative but wouldn't that be a fake then? :)

Nah, I've just pulled my VM Precision out and I can't see much that'd help either. In fact, I don't even know from the serial who built this one.. apparently conventional wisdom is that at the start of the serial number:

ICxx is Indonesian, made by Cort in year xx
ISxx is Indonesian, made by Samick in year xx

Mine is ICS09xxxxxx, so... go figure :)

[quote name='Ed_S' post='1257687' date='Jun 5 2011, 08:03 PM']Nah, I've just pulled my VM Precision out and I can't see much that'd help either. In fact, I don't even know from the serial who built this one.. apparently conventional wisdom is that at the start of the serial number:

ICxx is Indonesian, made by Cort in year xx
ISxx is Indonesian, made by Samick in year xx

Mine is ICS09xxxxxx, so... go figure :)[/quote]

This one starts ics. It's only down the road so might see if I can get it at a good prIce. Are they any good?

[quote name='nottswarwick' post='1257696' date='Jun 5 2011, 08:09 PM']This one starts ics. It's only down the road so might see if I can get it at a good prIce. Are they any good?[/quote]

Not bad at all.. I bought mine to experiment with BEAD tuning, all the time thinking that if it worked I'd have to ditch the Squier and get another MIM Fender to convert for actual gigging purposes. As it happened, the VM felt much more solidly built than I expected and kept in tune so I just ran with it, and to date it's done a good few gigs and been absolutely fine.

Don't get me wrong, you get what you pay for, and I'll never say that it's "just as good as a MIM" because it quite simply isn't - it's not as well finished, it's not as pleasingly resonant a piece of wood and the tuning machines feel cheap, but since it was only ever gonna be used for 1 or 2 songs in a set every third gig, I decided I could live with that. I wouldn't worry unduly about its reliability if I had to gig with it as my main bass, but in terms of feel and tone the MIMs are an easily discernible cut above.

The VM Jazz I have, I am very pleased with. The pickups are a bit weak, to me, but the rest I'm happy without problems.
If the P is anything like it, they represent really good value and should be a decent bass for any gig.