Why become a member? ×

Accugroove Synergy Amp

Chopthebass

If there's one speaker company I'd consider to not have the technical ability to design their own amp, this is the one. Whose power amp module does it contain anyway? Look at that frequency response spec - +0dB -5dB. Frankly, that is rubbish and potentially means that their claim of 1000W into 2 ohms will be as little as 300W at some points of the response curve.

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='144815' date='Feb 22 2008, 08:04 AM']If there's one speaker company I'd consider to not have the technical ability to design their own amp, this is the one. Whose power amp module does it
Alex[/quote]

Alex,

You'd be surprised (or maybe not!) at how badly designed some of the 'big name' bass amplifiers are. In the case of Accugroove any technical information they provide is likely to be bullshit ...

[quote name='BB2000' post='144855' date='Feb 22 2008, 10:04 AM']You'd be surprised (or maybe not!) at how badly designed some of the 'big name' bass amplifiers are. In the case of Accugroove any technical information they provide is likely to be bullshit ...[/quote]

(Or not!) The thing that really bugs me about AccuGroove is the marketing is all like "hey buddy, I'm a bassist too and have made this amazing perfect amp that is like miles better than everything else you've been stuck with for the past decade and that's why it's so expensive, because it's made of super magic parts, you know I'm only doing it because I love you..."

I mean there is marketing bs and then there is AccuGroove's marketing bs. Has anyone else noticed that it seems like practically every other bassist playing through AccuGroove gear is an endorser?

I think Aguilar, Markbass, Euphonic Audio and Thunderfunk have done some really nice things with improving the quality of the bass amp head. Honourable mention to Peavey for consistently making really solid gear that does what it says on the tin and to Carvin for finally waking up and removing their undefeatable preshapes from their amps and also releasing a true beast in the shape of the B1500. But you can see from my signature what my own preference in amps is!

Alex

[quote name='steve-soar' post='145285' date='Feb 22 2008, 07:38 PM']Hi Alex, I don't know about how the amp will sound but I like what I hear from my cabs. I know what you mean about, "Hey buddy..." what do they say on the home page, Audio...on steroids, I love the sound from my cabs and they are dead light. :)[/quote]

I like the sound from Robbie's Whappo Jr too - I just don't think it's either 'audiophile on steroids' or anywhere close to meeting it's hilarious specs. And it's one thing to sell a cab for such a high price that is so poorly designed (it sounds good because it has some nice speakers in it, but put some monkeys in a warehouse full of nice speakers and different sized boxes and they'd create some nice sounding cabs too) but their trumped up design claims are just ridiculous. I note that they no longer have tons of 'patent pending' claims on their site - were they laughed at by the attorney or did they never have any pending?

A few years back in a response to questions about Acme vs AccuGroove, Mark said this:

"Originally posted by Whappo (on September 20):
Good questions. I’ve talked with Andy before & he’s a great guy & builds nice cabs.

“…it's not possible (due to physics) to have a driver that has extreme low-frequency response AND still have reasonably high sensitivity.”

The issue of sensitivity is multifaceted & not an easy one. The first drivers we had developed sounded great, but they were not very loud. Most of the time there is a trade off between sensitivity and the sound you are looking for. If you get one, you may have to compromise on the other. (In keeping with the quote above)

However, after testing 1,200 different drivers from 6 different countries, we finally got things nailed down where we were able to get the best of both worlds. It wasn’t easy. But if it was, everyone would be doing it. There are over 21 different parameters that can be changed like a Rubik’s Cube to make the driver do what you want. What a puzzle?

After worrying about the driver, it’s the cabinet design that also contributes. This includes volume, porting, tuning, material, etc. By the time you make many small changes to multiple items, it can add up.

The bottom line is that like us, Andy makes his cabinets unique & different compared to what everyone else does. We builders choose a path we think is best & hope that players tend to agree.

Are our specs correct? You bet your low B string!"

Charlatan, uneducated or a mix of the two? Whatever, I'd rather spend my money elsewhere.

Alex