Why become a member? ×

Long Or Short Scale Basses

gsgbass

[quote name='famstd' post='1257253' date='Jun 5 2011, 01:25 PM']Hi folks. Just wondering if other players with small hands and fingers prefer, and play a long scale bass over a short scale bass. I myself seem to get my fingers a bit tangled up on the fretboard, with the short scale. I found the extra area on the fretboard of the long scale, spreads my fingers about right.[/quote]
It just depends on what you're used to. I like playing both and I think you just need a slightly different approach to each instrument - play them each in a different way. My hands aren't huge but I don't have any trouble going from 30.5" to 42". (scale length that is :) )

I agree, I prefer long scale, but you are supposed to move your hand to place your fingers over the note so small hands aren’t an excuse for not being able to reach a note. Esperanza Spalding has smaller hands than most here and easily plays the double bass!!

It wasnt until I joined basschat that I found out these things were any different, I just bought the one that played and sounded good in the best colour they had in the shop ,Now I find out about string type and gauge, action, releif, spacing, maple or rosewood etc Its a minefield.

Edited by stingrayPete1977

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1257490' date='Jun 5 2011, 05:19 PM']....It wasnt until I joined basschat that I found out these things were any different, I just bought the one that played and sounded good in the best colour they had in the shop ,Now I find out about string type and gauge, action, releif, spacing, maple or rosewood etc Its a minefield....[/quote]
You were right before!

Where exactly does short scale end and long scale begin ? . . .

I mostly play fender Jazz's . . . but to be honest I expect there are a lot of people on the forum like me who arnt up to speed with "terminology" and wouldn't know if if a fender Jazz is a long scale or a short scale . . . I think it must be long scale but I'm not sure and wouldn't wanna have to bet my guitar collection on it ! ! ! ? . . . I guess this may be because I probably haven’t tried out that many different types of basses over the years ?

I look forward to being technically enlightened and lifted out of my ignorance ! !

:D :lol: :) :)

It used to be fairly straight forward. Short scale basses were 29½-30½", Medium scale was 32" and long scale was 34".

Then came the extra long scale basses from makers like Overwater which were 36".

However nowadays you can get basses with all sorts of different scale lengths. Birdsong basses are 31" and they class them as short scale. There's plenty of manufacturers making 35" scale instruments (usually with 5 strings) and there are at least a couple of BassChatters with 33" scale bass. And then there are companies like Knuckle Guitar Works who build 39.55" scale length instruments.

These days I find it easier to ignore the old labels and simply refer to the actual measurement.

• 3 weeks later...

When I was bass hunting, I was able to compare 3 basses (Maruszczyk's) that were exactly the same, except for their scale.

A 34", a 32" and 30" one.

Ended up buying the 32", because for me it was the best compromise. The 30" just felt to flubby to me. A bit lacking in definition.
And although I always played 34" basses, I felt immediately at home on the 32" one.
Did not hear/feel that much difference in definition, so I went for that one (well, I actually bought two of them)

Strung them with the thickest Thomastik's I could get, though... (individual strings ordered from Schneidermusic.de)
Gauges: 0.106 > 0.072 > 0.57 > 0.044

After playing 34" scale for over twenty years, moving to 30" short scale was the best thing I ever did. I personally find it a lot more comfortable, it feels more natural, especially over longer sets. I get along fine with long scale, I just prefer it shorter. Hey, I play upright bass okay, so it's whatever suits you :)

[quote name='BigRedX' post='1257584' date='Jun 5 2011, 06:48 PM']It used to be fairly straight forward. Short scale basses were 29½-30½", Medium scale was 32" and long scale was 34".

Then came the extra long scale basses from makers like Overwater which were 36".

However nowadays you can get basses with all sorts of different scale lengths. Birdsong basses are 31" and they class them as short scale. There's plenty of manufacturers making 35" scale instruments (usually with 5 strings) and there are at least a couple of BassChatters with 33" scale bass. And then there are companies like Knuckle Guitar Works who build 39.55" scale length instruments.

These days I find it easier to ignore the old labels and simply refer to the actual measurement.[/quote]

And then there's Rickenbacker....

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1281754' date='Jun 25 2011, 01:04 AM']What size is a Ric 4001 BigRedX? I have never given it much thought when playing them really.[/quote]
The 4001 scale length is 33¼".

Your comment sums up exactly why I think that some players get too hung up on the numbers instead of treating the bass as a whole. I went from playing a 29½" scale Burns in the 80s to a 36" scale Overwater in the 90s. The basses had little in common other than they suited the music I was playing at the time. In fact I didn't even realise that the Overwater was longer than 34" scale until I bought my first set of (normal "long scale") strings for it and then wondered why they didn't fit properly!

Edited by BigRedX

[quote name='BigRedX' post='1281883' date='Jun 25 2011, 09:49 AM']The 4001 scale length is 33¼".

Your comment sums up exactly why I think that some players get too hung up on the numbers instead of treating the bass as a whole. I went from playing a 29½" scale Burns in the 80s to a 36" scale Overwater in the 90s. The basses had little in common other than they suited the music I was playing at the time. In fact I didn't even realise that the Overwater was longer than 34" scale until I bought my first set of (normal "long scale") strings for it and then wondered why they didn't fit properly![/quote]

Thats very true my earlier post was partly troll but mainly true, I used to look at them first to see if I liked it, then the price tag, then play it if there was a chance of buying it. The only others would be ones for the hell of it in musical exchanges just to see what the fuss was about with the expensive ones, I probably never noticed scale length or number of frets, just did it feel like I could use it for world domination as a rock star! Never happened so I must of bought the wrong ones :)

• 1 year later...

I play a 31" most of the time. Easier down the bottom end. Strung with heavy gauge 110-50 to compensate for less tension. Treble pickup is closer to the bridge so it picks up plenty of low mids.

Short scale can be Bassier, muddier, floppier so use these tricks to compensate.

Edited by Spoombung

I started off learning bass on a short scale Jedson and then went on to long scale cheapy basses which was all I could afford at the time. My first 'proper' bass was a Fender Mustang. It was short scale and I loved it, both the action and the tone. I upgraded from that to a MusicMan Stingray. In those days, I had to sell a bass if I wanted to buy one. However, in hindsight I wish I'd been able to keep my Mustang as well! Since then I've always used 34" scale. Though I have smallish hands and a short scale would be more comfortable, I prefer the tone of long scale basses. I also have a Pangborn which has a 36" scale which is a beast to play but sounds wonderful!