Why become a member? ×

Ian Dury & The Blockheads tonight BBC4 at 10.50pm

thebrig

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1256972' date='Jun 4 2011, 11:31 PM']Wilko Johnson is ace![/quote]
Never knew he was in The Blockheads til I watched this. How on earth that passed me by, I just do not know!

[quote name='Lozz196' post='1257088' date='Jun 5 2011, 08:15 AM']Never knew he was in The Blockheads til I watched this. How on earth that passed me by, I just do not know![/quote]
According to Wikipedia he didn't join until 1980 which I think was the date in the credits of the OGWT concert.

I saw them a couple of times in the late 70s, early 80s, twice with Chas Jankel and once with Wilko. They were a combination of a brilliant band and a compelling, edgy front man. You couldn't take your eyes off Dury. He always gave off a slightly scary, unpredictable "What's he going to do next?" vibe.

Saw them again on his final tour, a few months before he died. He had to be helped on and off stage and spent the show leaning back against a large flight case.

On one level it was desperately sad, as it was clear he didn't have long. One another it was life-affirming. There he was, this frail figure, ravaged by cancer, aware he was dying but still on stage, singing his heart out, refusing to give in and go quietly.

There were a few tears in the audience I can tell you, along with roars of appreciation and affection.

Cheers

Graham

Thanks for spotting that! A really good watch, thoroughly enjoyed it.

They really are a phenomenally excellent band.Music is a better place with The Blockheads.

The first time I saw them play was a few years ago at Alnwick playhouse, they must have been 'getting back on their feet' since Ian's death as the place wasn't even half full! Sitting in the next row in front was a lad who must have been about 12. Give his parents a pat on the back!

A little something for you all;
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUx25280XIo"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUx25280XIo[/url]

Dan

[quote name='Graham56' post='1260748' date='Jun 8 2011, 09:11 AM']I saw them a couple of times in the late 70s, early 80s, twice with Chas Jankel and once with Wilko. They were a combination of a brilliant band and a compelling, edgy front man. You couldn't take your eyes off Dury. He always gave off a slightly scary, unpredictable "What's he going to do next?" vibe.

Saw them again on his final tour, a few months before he died. He had to be helped on and off stage and spent the show leaning back against a large flight case.

On one level it was desperately sad, as it was clear he didn't have long. One another it was life-affirming. There he was, this frail figure, ravaged by cancer, aware he was dying but still on stage, singing his heart out, refusing to give in and go quietly.

There were a few tears in the audience I can tell you, along with roars of appreciation and affection.

Cheers

Graham[/quote]

I was at the London Palladium for what was his last ever show in Feb 2000, and the atmosphere was exactly as you described it. The support act that night was Kirsty McColl...

I finally got around to watching this last night, having recorded it when it was broadcast.

It was indeed a great show. Dury and the band were fantastic. But I felt Wilko was out of place. I'm probably as much a Feelgoods fan as a Blockheads fan, but I felt that Wilko's stage presence worked much better in the Feelgoods - he got everybody's attention in a way that is bound to annoy the lead singer, and in the Feelgoods part of the act was the tension between Brilleaux and Wilko caused by this. But in the Blockheads the centre of attention always was, and had to be Dury. And he either ignored Wilko or looked like he was feeling sorry for this poor bloke who was trying to upstage him, but didn't stand a chance. So Wilko was left just looking like some upstart guitarist trying to distract attention away from the main star.

I guess, I just thought that Dury and Wilko shouldn't share a stage. Each had too big a personality.

Anybody feel the same, or am I just losing the plot?

I saw it too - the Blockheads are indeed tight as can be, but the set left a little baffled with relatively few hits and an awkward medley of some of the better-known numbers. Muuuuch better is the "Hang On To Your Structure" show from Hammersmith, which also pops up now and again on BBC4 or Sky Arts. Wilko pops up in that one as well, but not for the whole set.

(incidentally, NWR is in Wilko's touring band and they're well worth seeing. At their gig last year I got there towards the end of the support band - Mark Radcliffe's lot - and nabbed the last empty spot by the bar. NWR was right next to me and was very gracious in listening to the inane dribblings of the bassist who'd ended up next to him)

Am I watching the same concert as the rest of you?

This wasn't a patch on "Rock Goes College" gig from 1978. Too many lacklustre songs from the latest album (Laughter) and not enough of the stuff that people really want to hear (New Boots And Panties). We get a rather half-hearted "Sweet Gene Vincent" and "Billericay Dickey" plus half of "Blockheads" and just a verse of "Sex And Drugs And Rock n Roll" before the gig fades out.

No wonder that Chaz Jankel had left the band by then and while he's a great guitarist Wilco Johnson simply isn't right for Ian Dury, and not even the presence of Topper Headon and Don Cherry make any real impact.

Not good.

[quote name='bottlebassman' post='1263006' date='Jun 9 2011, 06:00 PM']Gotta agree with the above, I watched this and was pretty unmoved by it, compared to the earlier days with Chaz. A lot of the material IMO no where near as strong as on New Boots.[/quote]
Pains me to agree with you though i did like (most of) the "Do It Yourself" album. Dance of the Screamers is ace lyrically.

[quote name='mart' post='1262314' date='Jun 9 2011, 09:20 AM']I finally got around to watching this last night, having recorded it when it was broadcast.

It was indeed a great show. Dury and the band were fantastic. But I felt Wilko was out of place. I'm probably as much a Feelgoods fan as a Blockheads fan, but I felt that Wilko's stage presence worked much better in the Feelgoods - he got everybody's attention in a way that is bound to annoy the lead singer, and in the Feelgoods part of the act was the tension between Brilleaux and Wilko caused by this. But in the Blockheads the centre of attention always was, and had to be Dury. And he either ignored Wilko or looked like he was feeling sorry for this poor bloke who was trying to upstage him, but didn't stand a chance. So Wilko was left just looking like some upstart guitarist trying to distract attention away from the main star.

I guess, I just thought that Dury and Wilko shouldn't share a stage. Each had too big a personality.

Anybody feel the same, or am I just losing the plot?[/quote]
I agree totally, I am a massive Feelgood fan, and I have seen Wilko & NWR live and they were great,
but Wilko in the Blockheads just does not work for me.