Why become a member? ×

Importing Guitars

Dood

[quote name='ped' post='2868' date='May 20 2007, 01:20 PM']I LOVE ishibashi, brilliant to deal with - my bass was in the UK in under 24 hours!!

:) :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh:[/quote]

Sexay that is Ped.. sexay!

[quote name='Darcy' post='2866' date='May 20 2007, 01:16 PM']Very dangrous site, lots of things sparking GAS attack

[attachment=153:Telebass.jpg]

Never seen one of these before.....interesting :huh: Semi Telebass 70's neckbucker and jazz at bridge, wonder what that sounds like?[/quote]

Wow. :)

That's just lovely.

Alas, no reply on the strings thread. Here's a more appropriate place.

[quote name='paul, the' post='11057' date='Jun 2 2007, 03:24 PM']Oh, quick question for anyone:
What's the lower limit on importing from outside the EU?
A set of strings costing £29 (that's with postage) from America, would they charge duty/customs/whatever?
Cheers,

Paul.[/quote]

Thank you,

paul.

Edited by paul, the

There's another way of importing a Japanese Fender which is more fun...go there & get it yourself!

I live in Ibiza & I'm learning the bass. I went to visit a friend in Tokyo last month. I went window shopping & found that all the guitar shops are in the same area... & there are lots. I just couldn't resist the temptation & bought a Jazz in sunburst to replace my cheapo Chinese-made Shine.

In round figures it cost 250 euros. Getting it into Spain cost another 50 euros...16% IVA (VAT) & small admin fee, 300 euros in total. That's about 200 quid.

The guys in the shop were very helpful & threw in a fender gig bag, a stand & a tuner.

The bass weighs 5 kilos & my belt & braces packaging weighed another 2.5. It survived the baggage throwers without a mark. I had to throw away a few clothes to keep within the 20k allowance but it was worth it. Air France would have charged me 30 euros per kilo excess.

I can't take it back to the dealer if there's a problem but one of my friends here is a 1st class tech.

Now's a good time to visit Japan. The Yen's very low & the Japan railpass is a real bargain. Food & accommodation needn't be expensive. Enjoy the trip & bring back a souvenir.

Now I've just got to practice!

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='paul, the' post='11443' date='Jun 3 2007, 04:04 PM']Alas, no reply on the strings thread. Here's a more appropriate place.
Thank you,

paul.[/quote]

Paul, I've not been charged yet for strings. Normally buy 2 or threes sets at at time and they are sent in an envelope. Try to keep the value under abut $50 and they dont normally bother.... IME.

My new bass was shipped today so will be with me soon. Aki at bacchus is the necest bloke ever, he sent it before the payment has cleared (it takes barclays 5 bleedin days!) all he wanted to see was the signed invoice and payment slip. What a legend.

+1 for going to Japan and buying one there.

Just make sure that what ever you buy is unavailable/very difficult to get in your home country. I've picked up guitars (a Tokai Talbo Jr and a Yamaha EZEG) on my last two visits, and was able to bring both home as carry on luggage and no duty either! Japan is a wonderful place to visit and if you know what you're doing it needed be very expensive at all. It helps if you have contacts in Japan to help you around as occasionally some things become too difficult for foreigners...

I'm off to look at some Japanese custom builders on my next trip (hopefully in 2008)

Got hold of my new bass today, although it had been sitting in the depot for a few days (damn customs charges). Still, it's a bass (issue) i've never seen in a shop in this country. It's US too, so it's done a round the world trip: California --> Japan --> UK. I'll post a thread and pics once i get it home etc

Here's a quick tip -

Once you have been given your EMS tracking number (E*****************JP) enter it on te parcel force website for a more detailed breakdown of the process. As soon as the parcel is said to be 'sorting at depot' just go and get it yourself - in my experience they tend to send you a letter saying they want you to come and get it about 2/3 days after this.

[quote name='ped' post='30221' date='Jul 11 2007, 11:48 AM']Here's a quick tip -

Once you have been given your EMS tracking number (E*****************JP) enter it on te parcel force website for a more detailed breakdown of the process. As soon as the parcel is said to be 'sorting at depot' just go and get it yourself - in my experience they tend to send you a letter saying they want you to come and get it about 2/3 days after this.[/quote]

That's exactly what I did. As soon as it hit my local depot I simply turned up with the tracking number and some personal ID, paid the customs charge and went home VERY satisfied! :)

Have Fender Japan ever done a RI Jazz (Bootsy Style) - with three-tone sunburst, tort pg, block inlays and binding?

Do they sell them with ashtrays...case?

Akin to:

Cheers,

paul.

[quote name='The Burpster' post='26007' date='Jul 2 2007, 01:33 PM']Paul, I've not been charged yet for strings. Normally buy 2 or threes sets at at time and they are sent in an envelope. Try to keep the value under abut $50 and they dont normally bother.... IME.[/quote]

Thanks Bob, I keep forgetting that upper limit.

Edited by paul, the

[quote name='paul, the' post='30381' date='Jul 11 2007, 06:19 PM']Have Fender Japan ever done a RI Jazz (Bootsy Style) - with three-tone sunburst, tort pg, block inlays and binding?

Do they sell them with ashtrays...case?
Akin to:[/quote]

i dunno but i do have a japaneese bass that used to look exactly like that, but then some idiot lost the neck p/u cover and an even bigger idiot decided it would look better in DAYGLO green :)

• ped unpinned this topic