Why become a member? ×

Importing Guitars

Dood

[quote name='OldGit' post='135811' date='Feb 7 2008, 03:21 PM']FEG seems to only have used ones ... GE seem to be unaffected (according to their .. hummm, somewhat challenging website)
It bugs me that corperations can do that. Like Sam Ash and other US stores not being allowed to ship to the UK[/quote]

Yep, it's a right pain....The Big F has spoken!!

I spoke to a chap in Japan the other day about this and you are right, you old git. I will ask some more info or if he can post here. The basses in the U-Box should be OK though as they are used and therefore OK to export. There is a quite funny looking black Jazz bass with a reverse headstock on there at the moment...

And yes guzzibass I have had some basses from ishibashi and found them to be very easy and fast. There are some details in this thread about how best to approach them and order.

Cheers
ped

[quote name='Jase' post='135939' date='Feb 7 2008, 05:49 PM']Yep, it's a right pain....The Big F has spoken!![/quote]

Jase what was the final cost of yours, over and above the price of the bass?
Looking through the U-box hase stirred the odd pocket of GAS ... :)

[quote name='OldGit' post='136025' date='Feb 7 2008, 08:00 PM']Jase what was the final cost of yours, over and above the price of the bass?
Looking through the U-box hase stirred the odd pocket of GAS ... :)[/quote]

All together with shipping and insurance 82,000 yen 68 for the bass and 14 for shipping/insurance.

At the time the exchange was £380. Believe it or not, if I had ordered it the week or so before the rate was even lower less than £350...still all is good I had a good service, good price and a good bass.

Just to clarify it was new not U Box, so cheaper again for U Box I imagine.

Edited by Jase

I'm in the processes of trying to buy a used bass from Ishibashi's U-Box section (sad to say that the Atlansia was already sold, ped). You need to email them with the Order Code (that's the number immediately under the bass name on the detail page) and someone from Ishibashi will eventually get back to you with more details about the condition of the bass in question and a shipping price. Unfortunately as I've discovered twice now the time zone differences don't do us any favours when trying to buy a sought-after instrument.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='136148' date='Feb 7 2008, 10:58 PM']I'm in the processes of trying to buy a used bass from Ishibashi's U-Box section (sad to say that the Atlansia was already sold, ped). You need to email them with the Order Code (that's the number immediately under the bass name on the detail page) and someone from Ishibashi will eventually get back to you with more details about the condition of the bass in question and a shipping price. Unfortunately as I've discovered twice now the time zone differences don't do us any favours when trying to buy a sought-after instrument.[/quote]

Let us know how you get on - I'm looking at a few in the U-Box!!

[quote name='Jase' post='136042' date='Feb 7 2008, 08:26 PM']All together with shipping and insurance 82,000 yen 68 for the bass and 14 for shipping/insurance.

At the time the exchange was £380. Believe it or not, if I had ordered it the week or so before the rate was even lower less than £350...still all is good I had a good service, good price and a good bass.

Just to clarify it was new not U Box, so cheaper again for U Box I imagine.[/quote]

Sorry Jase, Can you go through that again please?
82,000 yen for the bass (£390 today)
But what is the 68 and 14?
Is that 68 quid for shipping and 14 quid for tax and VAT?

Cheers,

[quote name='OldGit' post='136178' date='Feb 7 2008, 11:31 PM']Sorry Jase, Can you go through that again please?
82,000 yen for the bass (£390 today)
But what is the 68 and 14?
Is that 68 quid for shipping and 14 quid for tax and VAT?

Cheers,[/quote]
I'd say it's 68K yen for the bass and 14K yen for S/H

[quote name='setekh' post='136181' date='Feb 7 2008, 11:38 PM']I'd say it's 68K yen for the bass and 14K yen for S/H[/quote]

Ah! Derrr
I didn't think of adding the numbers together :)
That makes sence now.
So did the 14K for S+H also include the import duty and VAT?

• 2 weeks later...

For those who are interested I received my bass from Ishibashi today.

Speed of delivery - very fast it spent more time sat in the UK waiting to be checked and charged by customs then it did in transit. Overall it took 10 days but that included a weekend where nothing really happens. Tracking numbers emailed as soon as the bass was in Transit and could be checked from both the Japanese and Parcel Force websites.

Packaging - Came in a massive heavy duty box more than big enough for the bass. From what I can tell and bass that does not come with it's own case gets an unbranded gig bag for shipping and very nice it is too. Much better than some of the branded gig bags that came with other basses I've bought. That will definitely be getting use in the future. The bass was wrapped in bubble wrap, then put in the gig bag which went in the box well padded out with more bubble wrap. I was a little concerned as I checked the progress of the bass, because on entering the UK there was a damage noted message on the tracking. However this consisted of two small dents in the box, one which had punctured through to expose some of the bubble wrap padding. Given how generous the size of the box was in relation to the bass this was negligible and had it not been flagged up on the tracking I would have thought nothing of it.

Service from Ishibashi - outstanding. Given the time difference between Japan and the UK the only frustration is the amount of time that getting replies to emails takes means that sometimes a bass that appears on the site can be sold before you get a reply to your original enquiry. This was the third bass I'd tried to buy from them due to this problem. Big plus for the dedication of the Web Shop team at Ishibashi when my bass arrived for packaging (it was a second-hand one from their U-Box pages) they noticed a mark from a sticker which hadn't shown up on the original photos. I was sent extra photos showing the mark and expressing their concerns. As a result I managed to negotiate a reduction in price. It turns out on actual inspection of the bass that the photos made the mark much more noticeable than it really was, and to be honest again if this hadn't been flagged up, I wouldn't have been concerned when I received the bass - it was second hand after all.

Overall I would have no hesitation in buying from Ishibashi again. Excellent service as is standard in Japan. The only downside is the frustrating wait as emails go back and forth - allow 24 hours for each email exchange and then waiting again fro the bass to clear customs.

• 4 weeks later...

I felt Fleamail's thread the other day needed pasting here, for everyone thinking of trying to import from Japan:-

[quote name='fleamail' post='160702' date='Mar 20 2008, 11:04 AM']A friend of mine wanted to buy a Japanish Fender strat from Ishibashi but they refused to ship and replied with this email:

"Thank you for your inquiry and your patience. This is Midori from
Ishibashi WEB SHOP.

Unfortunately we are no longer able to supply new Fender Japan products
to customers outside of Japan. This is being strictly prohibited by
both Fender Japan and Fender USA. I apologize for this inconvenience.

If you are interested in any second-hand Fender Japan instruments,
though, You can browse/search our entire used inventory here:

[url="http://www.ishibashi.co.jp/u_box/"]http://www.ishibashi.co.jp/u_box/[/url]

I am sorry, but we do not accept Paypal.

If you have any further questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to
ask. Thank you for contacting Ishibashi WEB SHOP.

Warmest regards,
Midori Reid / International Sales Agent
Ishibashi WEB SHOP
Ishibashi Music Corporation
[url="http://www.ishibashi.co.jp/"]http://www.ishibashi.co.jp/[/url]
U-BOX - [url="http://www.ishibashi.co.jp/u_box/"]http://www.ishibashi.co.jp/u_box/[/url]
Telephone: 81-3-3291-7090
Fax: 81-3-3291-7099
===================================================

Then another guy from a Greek forum also tried to contact them asking for a Fender Japan guitar and he got almost the same quote:

"Thank you for your e-mail.This is Afia from Ishibashi WEB SHOP.
I am sorry we cannot sell new Fender Japan products to ouside of
Japan.This is because Fender Japan has restricted sales of its
merchandise to only inside Japan.

We appreciate your understanding.

However,we can ship USED Fender Japan merchandise to outside of Japan.If
you are interested,please feel free to visit our U-Box website and let
me know if you find anything you would like.
[url="http://ishibashi.co.jp/u_box/"]http://ishibashi.co.jp/u_box/[/url]

Looking forward to answering any questions you may have.
Thank you very much."

I know that Fender always prohibited the sale of their instruments outside Japan but ishibashi and a couple more japanish webshops like stringnet.co.jp used to ignore the limitation. I guess they will no longer do that![/quote]

• 1 month later...

[quote name='cetera' post='185308' date='Apr 25 2008, 02:14 PM']A [i]friend[/i] of mine just imported a bass from Japan.... 2 days door to door EMS(!!!) and no customs fees! :huh: :)

No better place to buy from...![/quote]

Wow Who from? and maybe the customs fees bill will follow (it does sometimes )

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I bought a lovely new USA 08 standard Fender Jazz in Boston last year.

It came back on the plane with me to Heathrow, then British Airheads (sorry, Airways)
managed to 'lose it' in Terminal 5, so it didn't get on the plane to Manchester with me.

I found this out when miserably standing jetlagged and semi-coherent by the baggage
carousel at Manchester Airport, watching for a bass case that never showed up.

The customs people called me over to say my bass case had 'missed the flight'.
It was on a long printoff of list baggage that somehow had not managed to turn
up at the gate at the right time.

They said that it would be arriving in 2 hours. I already had transport booked and waiting
to get me home and so they said that they would courier it to me later on.

They asked where I had flown from? I missed out the bit about buying the bass in the
USA and said [b]'London'[/b], as that's honestly where I'd flown from.

I told them that this bass was my oldest friend and asked couldn't they have misplaced
something else instead?

It arrived at 7.30 in the evening. I never paid a bean in duty.
Bargain.

The remainder of our adventures with BA on that return trip is on my blog at
[url="http://12rants.blogspot.com/2008/07/advantages-of-flying-club-class-with.html"]http://12rants.blogspot.com/2008/07/advant...class-with.html[/url]