Why become a member? ×

The holy grail - P Bass

Musicman20

No matter what I try to do, I end up knowing that I actually want more than one Precision, hence I am currently on the way of acquiring another American Standard.

Part of me thinks its time to start looking at a vintage P bass, because as much as I love my Stingrays, the simplicity of a P bass and the way it ALWAYS fits in a mix just seems to work for me.

Its almost like I can see myself just collecting P's, despite the fact they are all very similar.

I think ive approached this subject before, but apart from a true vintage P bass, what else is there that can trump a well made American Standard?

Ive tried a Lakland, and didnt like it.

Ive tried a few other basses with different P pickups, I didnt gel with them.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1251269' date='May 31 2011, 11:35 AM']what else is there that can trump a well made American Standard?[/quote]

A well made American Deluxe! :)

Heh, well.. doesn't really 'trump' it, but I found the P/J config (which I don't normally like, especially aesthetically, but found it in my way to forgive just this once) and active EQ gave me a few more subtle options in the studio whilst still fundamentally sounding like 'me playing a Precision'. Added bonus of the current 2010 model being that you can turn all the fancy active stuff off and roll the balance up to the neck, and you're right back to American Standard config.

If it's tone your after and not the aesthetic then.... G&L L-1000.
Serious competition (some say superior) to any Fender P.... that's why Leo built them - to improve on the design he came up with some 23 years prior.
The early '80-82 (original headstock) models have the best 'tronics.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1251269' date='May 31 2011, 12:35 PM']No matter what I try to do, I end up knowing that I actually want more than one Precision, hence I am currently on the way of acquiring another American Standard.

Part of me thinks its time to start looking at a vintage P bass, because as much as I love my Stingrays, the simplicity of a P bass and the way it ALWAYS fits in a mix just seems to work for me.

Its almost like I can see myself just collecting P's, despite the fact they are all very similar.[/quote]
American Standard, yes indeed. Don't accept cheap or expensive immitations!!!

By the way you can always justify another bass just by stringing it with different strings. For example you have your workaday P strung with Bass Centre stainless rounds, your 60's revival P strung with Rotosound TruBass nylons and obviously another bass strung with half rounds when neither full rounds or flats are quite right. That's 3 Precisions fully justified already without even getting into nickel rounds, metal wound flats........

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1251269' date='May 31 2011, 11:35 AM']what else is there that can trump a well made American Standard?[/quote]

A Squier CV or Matt Freeman of course (at least, in all the important area's) :)

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='lapolpora' post='1251384' date='May 31 2011, 12:56 PM']Ever tried a Sandberg?[/quote]

I have, and to be honest, they are very well made, but dont nail the P tone I have in my head. Unfortunately.

I also wouldnt want the active elecs or other pickups, although no doubt they do a normal P bass, with their spin on it.

Its the age old 'dont search for something that you probably cant find' without spending a fortune.

You know what Gareth, you're not wrong and I agree with you wholeheartedly ( however you spell that :) ) if you've found what's good for you in a Precision bass then there's no need to look for a better one, and the only other way is to make the one you have better by fitting a "boutique" pickup like a Fralin or Lollar, Wizard or anything that is better than stock, rather than to get a new bass, after all wood is wood and at the end of the day is the electronic that maketh the sound you get out of it, and a good amp of course.

See that bass in my avatar, well that middle pickup on it's own nails the bl00dy P sound down to a tee another reason why I love that old bass, it just rawks!

Edited by Grand Wazoo

Just about to head back to P bass ownership myself - for the very same reason - simplicity and placement in the mix. Gigged my Warwick Corvette at the weekend and although sounded great, i miss the P bass tone for the rock and 70's numbers.

Good stuff.

Ive got one VERY good American Standard at the moment, (probably my all time most comfy bass) thats a 2009, and have a cheap Sue Ryder P bass copy for around the house.

Ive just sorted a deal on a another American Standard but maple (and 2011 with the 60th anniverary neckplate like the 2011s have).

May as well have a bit of variety.

I did have this setup before and stupidly thought I didnt want two USA Ps, and sold one for incoming Musicmans.

Musicman basses are great, and I will always own more than a few, but I equally need good Fenders, and trying to tell myself I dont is a bad idea.

[quote name='henry norton' post='1251368' date='May 31 2011, 12:51 PM']American Standard, yes indeed. Don't accept cheap or expensive immitations!!!

By the way you can always justify another bass just by stringing it with different strings. For example you have your workaday P strung with Bass Centre stainless rounds, your 60's revival P strung with Rotosound TruBass nylons and obviously another bass strung with half rounds when neither full rounds or flats are quite right. That's 3 Precisions fully justified already without even getting into nickel rounds, metal wound flats........[/quote]

I justify five P-basses that way, and adding a fretless or two for flavour :)

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1251518' date='May 31 2011, 03:07 PM']Hmm, this could get silly.

1 rosewood - flats
1 maple - rounds (nickels)
1 rosewood - D'addario Chromes (inbetween!)[/quote]
Hmm, no number of Precisions can ever be deemed 'silly', unless you're John Entwistle of course :)