Why become a member? ×

Has anyone tried the new SLIM C shape precision neck?

eParrot

I'm buying a Fender Precision.
That much I know.

I've played guitar for decades and am a recent convert to the joys of bass. Got myself a nice little Musicmaster to transition into the scale, had great fun lifting every Jamerson line within my means (haven't tried Bernadette yet) and now I just can wait no more. I need my precision.

I was quite certain that an American Standard would be my 'saving up for' target and would have considered a Mexican one at the right price. All necks are C shape and all fingerboards have a 9.5 radius these days but then I saw this 'American Special' thing with a 'unique feature' in the form of a new 'slim', fast action neck.

What is that all about? Is it really noticeable? Sounds interesting. Or is it just some go-fast-stripes marketing bull? Can you share any experiences?

Cheers!

Hi,

I'd assume it's just a take on one of their other neck profiles - maybe a flatter radius and more shallow neck profile. I have to admit that I'm not a huge fan of the big chunky necks and look for (what I believe is known as) A profile necks for 4 stringers. 70's P basses (and certainly the non-export CIJ/MIJ 70's RI's) have such a profile. It's far more like a Jazz bass neck, with a smaller nut width. Being on the skinny side, I find them faster to navigate.

I've no idea if it's any help, but I have a Jazz Bass Special which I understand has the profile of a 62 Jazz Bass neck and my 70's CIJ P bass feels very similar - maybe the 'american special' also has a jazz-a-like neck?

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='1251017' date='May 31 2011, 01:48 AM']

:) not sure how what would work :)[/quote]

Tell me about it! I've tried using slim fast as lube to speed things up a little but it just ended up smelling funny.

Fortunately my neighbour who incidently used to be my physics teacher lent me some...

And now my bike runs nice and smooth!

[quote name='bigsmokebass' post='1251035' date='May 31 2011, 06:04 AM']didnt feel like £800 worth to me[/quote]

Exactly what I thought. Loved the red/black/maple, and the neck was a bit better finished than a MIM (though ironically I didn't notice it being any slimmer), but I'd only have put down £600 absolute tops for it.

[quote name='eParrot' post='1250804' date='May 30 2011, 09:14 PM']..... all necks are C shape and all fingerboards have a 9.5 radius these days but then I saw this 'American Special' thing with a 'unique feature' in the form of a new 'slim', fast action neck.

What is that all about? Is it really noticeable? Sounds interesting. Or is it just some go-fast-stripes marketing bull? Can you share any experiences?[/quote]

The neck on the one I tried recently felt ever so slightly shallower than a normal P-neck. Probably a bit "squarer" if that makes sense. Have to admit though the (factory) set up didn't do it any favours.

+1 on the "not worth £800" comments

Edited by Fuzzbass2000

I had a Precision with a Jazz neck a while ago.....didn't get on with it.....something just wasn't quite right.
I love my Jazz's neck, I love my Precision's neck.....but mix them and it doesn't gel with me for some reason...odd

Si

[quote name='Sibob' post='1256532' date='Jun 4 2011, 03:07 PM']I had a Precision with a Jazz neck a while ago.....didn't get on with it.....something just wasn't quite right.
I love my Jazz's neck, I love my Precision's neck.....but mix them and it doesn't gel with me for some reason...odd

Si[/quote]

Its all down to personal preference isnt it ?

I love my J/P mongrel as listed below . . . .

what exactly is the model of this Precision with a slim C neck . . . at the moment I wouldn't know what to look out for . . . is it a specific model ?

[quote name='Nostromo' post='1256556' date='Jun 4 2011, 03:35 PM']Its all down to personal preference isnt it ?

I love my J/P mongrel as listed below . . . .

what exactly is the model of this Precision with a slim C neck . . . at the moment I wouldn't know what to look out for . . . is it a specific model ?[/quote]

Oh yeah of course, I dunno what it is, I suppose for me, the sound and vibe a Precision emits, fits well with the chunkier neck.....makes me think about things differently than my Jazz, which is what I aim for when switching basses.

Si