Why become a member? ×

Marshall vba 400 distorting- help needed.

thumperbob 2002

Hi

Ive had a marshall vba 400 valve amp for a few weeks- only used this on a couple of practices- the amp is coupled with the vbc 4 X 12 cab it was designed for.

After not using this for a week or two I set it up today for a low level practice- with the cab.

Played OK but after a while ( 5 minutes ) it started to really distort badly. As the amp is new I thought it might be my bass- swapped bases- still distorting. I thought I might have blown a speaker- swapped cabs- the other cab. a 2X10 was fine so I thought it must be the cab. I swapped to the marshall cab again and it sounded fine. After about 10 mins again it started to distort and then stopped and sounded fine. I then played for an hour and it was fine.

I wonder if I started to play the amp when the valves were not hot enough- there might have been some condensation ( amp kept in the house but it has been cold here ) in the amp.

Has anyone else experienced this- I remember in the 80s the valve amps I used were always a bit inconsistent in their workings- help much appreciated.

Cheers

Bob