Why become a member? ×

Markbass 4x10HR

Musicman20

I've got a 104HF, front ported version. It's essentially the same cabinet except the low end is projected forwards, and in my opinion a lot more efficiently, which I find fantastic for playing live. It's quite large for a 4x10, but due to the weight it's perfectly possible to carry it one handed... if a bit awkwardly! The sound is brilliant, Bags of low end, without it being muddy. Very clean, clear and articulate, with a lot of focus on the midrange. The horn is of top quality which produces very clear highs, and the attenuator is very handy if you want to turn it down/off.

I currently use it in a metal band with 2 guitarists, never once have I had a problem being heard. I cut through the mix without obnoxiously stealing all the sonic space. It's the highest quality piece of equipment i've ever used. It doesn't colour the sound at all. unfortunately for me, I've decided I like the tone to be coloured somewhat, and so I've decided to put it up for sale/trade. Interested? :)

I've got one. Only ever take it out for bigger gigs, but I specifically wanted it to be as small, light and easy to carry as humanly possible, so the HF didn't appeal. As for front vs rear porting, I just choose carefully where I put it on stage to get the projection I want, and I decided to get mine as a 4ohm so I get full power with it on its own, which helps. If it's any indication, my band plead with me to use it more often because "it sounds massive" :)

Edited by Ed_S

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1249586' date='May 29 2011, 08:11 PM']Thanks guys. Yeah, I was just having a look at them, but If I ever went down that route it would be the HR for the smaller size.[/quote]

I have a 104HR -absolutely love it. Very light and compact, nice punchy sound, doesn't seem lacking in bass, can't fault it. I think the side mounted tweeter dial is a genius idea that others should follow - tho TC's take on it (on the amp's controls instead) is clever too.

It seemed all the rage a couple of years ago to have a Markbass head with Bergie or other cabs - dunno why. To me their cabs are as innovative and attractive as their heads and not lacking in performance any way to my (uneducated) ears. Maybe it's the yellow speakers that aren't for everyone?

I had one and loved it - if it hadn't been nicked, I'd probably still have it. Tons of everything, and not too big. Mind you, I'd left it at our rehearsal studio (from where it was nicked) because it was a bit of a pain to get in and out of the car.

OTOH, my 1515L is better, lighter and smaller, so (as long as you're insured) every cloud, and all that...

I absolutely love mine - sounds so punchy, doesn't have an abundance of low end (when compared to a front ported cab), but it's very clear and tight on the bass. I've been using it on it's own, and it sounds fantastic. The tweeter is incredible too - very, very subtle! No horrible clickiness to it, just adds an extra bit of definition. (It's the first cab I've had where I actually turn the tweeter on, and it's always up full!)

It's also an easy one-man carry, and you can fit through a door with it! Hurrah! :)

I'm going to have to point out that the difference in sound between the HF and HR models is purely that the HR models are smaller (and may be tuned differently). If you put the HR's ports on the front or the HF's ports on the back the sound wouldn't change. But make the HR as big as the HF (and make the tuning frequency the same if it's currently different) and the two cabs would sound identical despite one being front ported and one rear ported.

[quote name='ray57' post='1251642' date='May 31 2011, 03:36 PM']I have always been a bit wary of cabs that squeeze the drivers into the smallest possible box. Ultimately they fart out before the bigger cabs IME. In the past the Markbass cabs have not been as good as the amps, which was why shops like Bass Direct sold the amps with Berg cabs. Now that the Berg AE' s have been discontinued thats no longer an option.[/quote]

The day my 1515L farts out, my inner ears will be hanging out on my shoulders like overdone spaghetti, and the drummer will have exploded. It's ridiculously loud.

[quote name='ray57' post='1251642' date='May 31 2011, 03:36 PM']In the past the Markbass cabs have not been as good as the amps, which was why shops like Bass Direct sold the amps with Berg cabs. Now that the Berg AE' s have been discontinued thats no longer an option.[/quote]

I cant really comment, as ive not experienced the cabs that much.

The quality of build with the MB is very high, and they are super light and durable.

No idea what now is classed as the 'best' lightweight option.

Unless the tuning frequency is inappropriate a smaller cab will take more power to fart out than a larger cab (with the same speakers in both!) The amount of bottom produced at the point of farting is pretty much the same for a given tuning frequency and complement of woofers but undersized cabs suffer from mid-bass boom. Make a cab smaller and you lose LF sensitivity on the one hand but gain LF power handling on the other, so one compensates for the other (within reason).

Edited by alexclaber

I have a 410 HR to. Excellent cabs, never 'farted' on me ever before, it can take an insane amount! Lovely clean sound with tonnes of bottom and stacks of mid and the highs pull out nicely resulting in an amazing all round sound. Definitely worth the punt! Im pleased I bought mine with out a single regret.
They're very reliable cabs to, I think they claim their fail rate to be something ridiculous like 0.6%! And they aim to get that lower.

Well worth the look into!

Dan

I haven't heard a HF, but I love the HR for it's tight sound, size and weight.

All musical instruments and equipment is highly subjective; even if something looks rubbish on paper, there are too many opinions, techniques, different acoustics, and so many other factors that mean that it might be adored in the real world.

Different strokes for different folks and all that... :)