Why become a member? ×

Bass dissertation

Sub_Drop

[quote name='silddx' post='1247713' date='May 27 2011, 11:18 PM']Personally speaking, and probably because I've been around for a while, I would be a bit disgusted at this approach and would be demanding the tutors and governors demonstrate for 45 minutes, their approach to teaching bassists.[/quote]

You wouldn't have to makes such demands at the place I went.

I had an hour lesson every week with a fantastic bass player and ALL of my recitals were marked by my bass tutor, the second bass tutor (who I didn't have lesson with) and a third member of staff who was a drummer.

Never questioned that once, as I knew MY bass tutor alone was good enough to outplay and correctly judge me as a bassist. The other two were just there to ensure he wasn't marking due to any bias, i think.

Edited by skej21

[quote name='risingson' post='1247724' date='May 27 2011, 11:24 PM']If it is other people's music you are to be playing (and if I were you) I would put together a good set of tunes that James Jamerson performed on and make sure to include a good coverage of songs from the simple but effective ('My Girl', 'Higher and Higher' etc.) to the rhythmically and harmonically complex ('For Once In My Life', 'What's Goin On'), and then go on to showcase a few other tunes where the bass lines and bass players have been very obviously affected by Jamerson's bass lines. You can choose a whole world of music by doing this.[/quote]

+5