Why become a member? ×

Bass dissertation

Sub_Drop

Hi Guys and Dolls,

I'm about to start my third year at uni in September and I need to do a 45 minute performance showcasing my playing.
I don't want it to become a bass solo, epic two handed tapping and slapping. I want something where the bass part shows a good sense of groove and feel underneath a well constructed song.

Any ideas of what might be a good idea to try. I've got a few ideas already but I'm sure some people on here would have some amazing ideas.

So far it seems my dissertation is funk, jazz and soul styles of music but I'm open to any genre.

Cheers.

[quote name='Sub_Drop' post='1247680' date='May 27 2011, 10:49 PM']Hi Guys and Dolls,

I'm about to start my third year at uni in September and I need to do a 45 minute performance showcasing my playing.
I don't want it to become a bass solo, epic two handed tapping and slapping. I want something where the bass part shows a good sense of groove and feel underneath a well constructed song.

Any ideas of what might be a good idea to try. I've got a few ideas already but I'm sure some people on here would have some amazing ideas.

So far it seems my dissertation is funk, jazz and soul styles of music but I'm open to any genre.

Cheers.[/quote]
I hope you take this in the way its intended, but if you are having difficulty with this, are you questioning what you have actually been taught, and if a 45 minute showcase is the right way of appraising a bass student's ability? Personally speaking, and probably because I've been around for a while, I would be a bit disgusted at this approach and would be demanding the tutors and governors demonstrate for 45 minutes, their approach to teaching bassists.

If it is other people's music you are to be playing (and if I were you) I would put together a good set of tunes that James Jamerson performed on and make sure to include a good coverage of songs from the simple but effective ('My Girl', 'Higher and Higher' etc.) to the rhythmically and harmonically complex ('For Once In My Life', 'What's Goin On'), and then go on to showcase a few other tunes where the bass lines and bass players have been very obviously affected by Jamerson's bass lines. You can choose a whole world of music by doing this.

[quote name='silddx' post='1247713' date='May 27 2011, 11:18 PM']I hope you take this in the way its intended, but if you are having difficulty with this, are you questioning what you have actually been taught, and if a 45 minute showcase is the right way of appraising a bass student's ability? Personally speaking, and probably because I've been around for a while, I would be a bit disgusted at this approach and would be demanding the tutors and governors demonstrate for 45 minutes, their approach to teaching bassists.[/quote]

I'm not having difficulty in choosing songs just thought i'd see if other bass players had other ideas. I understand where you are coming from though. Basically we are meant to perform a set list of material to which we can choose anything within reason and perform with a band, solo or both for 45 minutes and we get marked on our performance visually, our communication with the audience and the ability and authenticity to recreate the songs we are performing. It is a strange way to assess our musicianship as it leaves a lot of grey area in certain areas of performing but its what we need to do.

Edited by Sub_Drop

[quote name='Sub_Drop' post='1247748' date='May 27 2011, 11:44 PM']I'm not having difficulty in choosing songs just thought i'd see if other bass players had other ideas. I understand where you are coming from though. Basically we are meant to perform a set list of material to which we can choose anything within reason and perform with a band, solo or both for 45 minutes and we get marked on our performance visually, our communication with the audience and the ability and authenticity to recreate the songs we are performing. It is a strange way to assess our musicianship as it leaves a lot of grey area in certain areas of performing but its what we need to do.[/quote]
Ahh, I see, WITH a band, that's different.

Choose what you like playing. Feel and ability to make MUSIC is what's really important. I would do lots of simple stuff that requires great feel and listening skills, and only one or maybe two that are technically very demanding. But please don't take me too seriously, I have no idea what these people expect from you. I do know we've come across a few graduates while auditioning who simply can't gel with a band and do the things expected of a [i]musician[/i].

Try something like some Scott Thunes stuff from Zappa's band perhaps. Wonderfully musical, compositionally and harmonically intricate, and technically quite demanding bass lines. Dupree's Paradise, Zoot Allures, Alien Orifice - I can point you to a transcription of this, it's superb, but can your band play it?

[quote name='paul_5' post='1247882' date='May 28 2011, 07:44 AM']:) pretty much anything with james jamerson on bass should fit the bill.[/quote]

You mean Carol Kaye? :)

Have a look at alll the favourite bass player threads and choose from that.

The usual suspects would be Jack Bruce, Sting, Flea, John Deacon, Chris Squire, Bernard Edwards, John Paul Jones etc.

Only 15 minutes? That doesn't seem long enough to me but fair enough.
James Jamerson is always a good idea along with Chris Squire and John Deacon.

I was going to do YYZ but I have already played this for my second year performance, so I wanted to showcase something else.
I'm not sure whether it would be over the top for what my lecturers want but I'm attempting Stanley Clarke and Victor Wooten pieces as well.

I think I have most of my set list now but thanks for the ideas people.

[quote name='Sub_Drop' post='1247748' date='May 27 2011, 11:44 PM']we get marked on our performance visually, our communication with the audience and the ability and authenticity to recreate the songs we are performing. It is a strange way to assess our musicianship[/quote]
You ain't kidding. A strange way indeed. But you're looking for pointers so here goes:

* Visuals - Wear a flashing bow-tie. Bow-ties are cool.

* Audience communication - "Y'alriiiiiiiiiiiiiiight out there?!? OK. OK. Here's a slooooow one for the lay-dees..."

* Authentic recreation of song "Ya wanna listen to the original, f*** off home and put the CD on. [i]Pal[/i]."

No need to thank me. :)

[quote name='Truckstop' post='1248113' date='May 28 2011, 11:59 AM']Just get a keys player and a drummer and work though some motown/stax/northern soul like everyone else is playing.[/quote]
Fixed. :)

I wonder how many times the examiners will be listening to Bernadette this year.

If you wanted a pop song, how about Rio from Duran Duran. It is the bass which really bounces the song along. There is also plenty of space in the verses for your own grove, although the chorus you need to sit back in the mix obviously!

Maybe pick songs where the bass lines are not necesarily complex, but iconic. As you said - you don't want a two handed tapping adventure.

The Stranglers - Peaches

Queen - Under Pressure

These two spring to mind instantly - although they don't fit with your funk, soul and jazz direction.

[quote name='Thurbs' post='1253610' date='Jun 2 2011, 09:59 AM']If you wanted a pop song, how about Rio from Duran Duran. It is the bass which really bounces the song along. There is also plenty of space in the verses for your own grove, although the chorus you need to sit back in the mix obviously![/quote]

Good call - some nice bass lines from 80's pop.

Don't you mean Bass Recital... not Dissertation?

I had to do 25 minutes for mine as I did performance as a minor (only 20 credits) module.

I performed 4 pieces because they were all quite long and we had to talk and provide information to the audience in between pieces...
We had to provide the audience and examiners with the notation for each one of the pieces (making the medley a nightmare!) all in a short programme. If you don't have to, that might be a nice touch. The pieces I played were;

1) A performance of 'Teen Town' similar to the Michael Manring one, with looper pedal to create a backing

2) A self-composed bass piece

3) 'Chromatic Fantasy' by Bach/Jaco

4) A medley of pieces from the Charlie Park Omnibook (Bass Clef instruments)

I did quite well overall and they seemed to like the mix of groove/technique in the repertoire. Hope that helps and good luck! :)