Why become a member? ×

1952 fender Precision

Rick's Fine '52

[quote name='BB3000S' post='1247659' date='May 27 2011, 10:32 PM']Amazing, truly amazing collection - thank you so much for sharing! :)
Especially love the 58's (my gosh, three of them!) and the 52's are sooooo nice.[/quote]

Thanks, technically one is a '59, as the body is dated 3/59, although the neck/pots etc, are all dated late '58.

Sorry, i sense myself getting geeky....i tend to do that when talking about my vintage stuff. The 52's are very special.

Hopefully be a couple of new additions in the coming weeks, watch this space.

[quote name='RhysP' post='1247669' date='May 27 2011, 10:41 PM']Never mind, I'm sure you'll be able to afford a new bass one day. :)

Lovely collection you've got there.[/quote]

Thanks Rhys.

To be honest, new basses don't do it for me...as you can see. Even the new Fenders are just too tight, too responsive, too trebly, too bright.

the old ones are soft, and warm, and sooo smooth sounding, and the necks play like butter. They're like an old pair of jeans, or an old pair of Adidas Superstars, they just feel right...every time you wear 'em.

I've never played a new...ish bass, and thought "Oooh, that's nice". Actually that's not strictly true, i did play an Alembic Stanley Clarke which i could quite happily have taken home!

[quote name='Telebass' post='1253933' date='Jun 2 2011, 01:27 PM']Wow Rick, if Detlef Schmidt had known about your collection, you'd probably have featured rather prominently in his book on 51-54 Precisions! Wow!
Again, wow![/quote]

I didnt know about him, or his book, until 3 months after it was published, and even then only made contact by chance. I've since had lots of discussions with him since though, and he is hoping to a second issue, as he has had contact from another 30 owners, so would be far more comprehensive. Nice bloke is Detlef.

It's rare to find someone equally obsessed with pre-57 Precisions.

Oh, that would be great, a 2nd edition! In my way, I'm just as obsessed, just don't have the cash to go after it. However, not because the vintage stuff is in any way superior - it's not - but because this was the start of it all, bass-wise. On that score, vintage, especially the slabs, is great!

[quote name='Telebass' post='1256304' date='Jun 4 2011, 11:13 AM']Oh, that would be great, a 2nd edition! In my way, I'm just as obsessed, just don't have the cash to go after it. However, not because the vintage stuff is in any way superior - it's not - but because this was the start of it all, bass-wise. On that score, vintage, especially the slabs, is great![/quote]

I know these issues have been discussed to death, but in my experience, a good early P-Bass, is far superior to a good newer one. The 50's ones in particular are very special indeed, particularly from '55 to '59, the slim maple necks are just fantastic, and the warmth of tone, is just not something that has ever been reproduced by anyone since, even Fender.

the slabs are great, and as they were the first, will always be highly prized, and theres something very special about playing one, but the necks are thicker than later ones, and not everyones cup of tea. The blonde body/maple neck/blackguard combo is unbeatable in my book.

Tissues, get me the tissues!!!

Rick, just out of interest, how to your 56 CS basses compare to the originals?

Not sure i'll ever get my hands on the real deal, but I see a CS 55 Precision as my next purchase, my obsession is dangerous!

Andy

Edited by AndyTravis

[quote name='AndyTravis' post='1256908' date='Jun 4 2011, 10:27 PM']Tissues, get me the tissues!!!

Rick, just out of interest, how to your 56 CS basses compare to the originals?

Not sure i'll ever get my hands on the real deal, but I see a CS 55 Precision as my next purchase, my obsession is dangerous!

Andy[/quote]

They don't really compare to be truthful. The necks are much thicker than the originals, sound wise, the p'ups are much brighter, more trebly than the warm, soft tones of the originals. There's also too much lacquer on the necks, which i know would've been on the originals when they were knew, but the old necks are so smooth.
They are great guitars, don't get me wrong, and for around £1700, they are good value, and will hold their price well enough. You'd need to play it though first, before buying it, because it may not suit you.

For a cheaper alternative, you can buy a Sting reissue (£400), and a '51 reissue (£300), take the neck off the '51, put it on the Sting, add some covers, make a single screw thumbrest. Put the sting neck on the '51 and sell it on (£300+). That way, you have a great '55 reissue, for £400. Sand the back of the neck to how you like it, and its a great player. (I know because i did it 3 years ago, i relic'd it too). Here's some details on mine;

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=137594&st=20"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=137594&st=20[/url]

Good fun to make, and you dont spend nearly 2 grand in the process.

Thanks Rick, if you end up wanting to shift a CS version let me know, wish I could get my hands on the oldie you have for sale, but way out of my league!

Edit - or indeed the Sting bitsa!
Andy

Edited by AndyTravis

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' post='1256974' date='Jun 4 2011, 11:36 PM']Well, I'm not exactly gonna put my address on here, but if you ever fancy a gander at anything, PM me.

Cheers[/quote]

:) May have to take you up on that, certainly my kind of museum.

[quote name='AndyTravis' post='1256943' date='Jun 4 2011, 11:01 PM']Thanks Rick, if you end up wanting to shift a CS version let me know, wish I could get my hands on the oldie you have for sale, but way out of my league!

Edit - or indeed the Sting bitsa!
Andy[/quote]

By the way, the other half of my Sting bitsa, was sold at the time. Had no use for it, and hated the sting signature inlay on the 12th fret.

[quote name='chrisd24' post='1256980' date='Jun 4 2011, 11:46 PM']:) May have to take you up on that, certainly my kind of museum.[/quote]

The museum is quite small, opening hours are a bit eratic, poor disabled access. Admission price is at the Managers discretion. The bar facilities are particularly good though!! :)

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' post='1256985' date='Jun 4 2011, 11:59 PM']The museum is quite small, opening hours are a bit eratic, poor disabled access. Admission price is at the Managers discretion. The bar facilities are particularly good though!! :)[/quote]

HA!.....as i said "my kind of museum" :)

Your '52 has been on ebay for a while now, so I guess you're open to offers ?

[url="http://cgi.ebay.com/FENDER-1952-PRECISION-BASS-UNBELIEVABLE-VINTAGE-FENDER-/390320671969?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item5ae0eccce1#ht_757wt_907"]http://cgi.ebay.com/FENDER-1952-PRECISION-...e1#ht_757wt_907[/url]

[quote name='specialbass' post='1261619' date='Jun 8 2011, 06:57 PM']Your '52 has been on ebay for a while now, so I guess you're open to offers ?

[url="http://cgi.ebay.com/FENDER-1952-PRECISION-BASS-UNBELIEVABLE-VINTAGE-FENDER-/390320671969?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item5ae0eccce1#ht_757wt_907"]http://cgi.ebay.com/FENDER-1952-PRECISION-...e1#ht_757wt_907[/url][/quote]

I actually bought it 3 weeks ago, from the owner. He had it on consignment at New Kings Road for £18500, and Music Ground for £21000. I made the owner an offer he couldnt refuse. I'd been negotiating with him for 6 months, since i first became aware of it.

New Kings Road wanted it to stay on their website to generate interest in their other stock. I agreed to allow that for a bit. I know the guys down there quite well, having bought basses from them, so had no problem.

I'm certainly not looking to sell it, its the best example i've even seen, either in person or in any books/publications.

Having said that.....everything has it's price doesnt it, what did you have in mind???

Rick