Why become a member? ×

Your first bass.

chipmunk_jr

[quote name='chipmunk_jr' post='1244940' date='May 25 2011, 10:58 PM']Just reeding on here about peoples first bass's so was wondering what every body had. My first bass was my dads first bass. A Washburn B10.[/quote]

Mine was a Yamaha BBN4. Ive still got it - only its now got Basslines Pickups in it and a MM style scratchplate. It's ace actually.

The first bass I played was a very old Fender P-Bass. Being the age that I was, I was not aware that it was worth anything, and neither was my sister because she had it refinished by a friend in a really nasty silver colour. Based on memory I would have guessed it to be an early to mid 70's P.

The first real bass I owned was a P-Bass copy. I loved it :)

now here's a thing...

i was looking for a picture of my first bass (a hohner arbor mx bass) and i've actually found a pic of [i]my[/i] bass - i sold it to a very good friend of mine years ago.

what's even better is that i've been treying to track him down for years, and it seems i've found him

:)

Edited by ahpook

[quote name='ahpook' post='1244966' date='May 25 2011, 11:09 PM']now here's a thing...

i was looking for a picture of my first bass (a hohner arbor mx bass) and i've actually found a pic of [i]my[/i] bass - i sold it to a very good friend of mine years ago.

what's even better is that i've been treying to traxck him down for years, and it seems i've found him

:)[/quote]
Are you certain it's the same one :)

mine was a hohner short scale thing. It had a split p pickup and played really well. It cost me £70 from a local music shop. The decline started when i decided to sand it back to a natural wood finish. Alas, 'twas chipboard. :)

[quote name='risingson' post='1244962' date='May 25 2011, 11:08 PM']The first bass I played was a very old Fender P-Bass. Being the age that I was, I was not aware that it was worth anything, and neither was my sister because she had it refinished by a friend in a really nasty silver colour. Based on memory I would have guessed it to be an early to mid 70's P.

The first real bass I owned was a P-Bass copy. I loved it :lol:[/quote]
I have a similar story.
A neighbour heard that I played guitar (no bass back then) and asked if I wanted a couple of old bangers they had lying around for the princely sum of £12 (that was a good night out, with change for your taxi back in 1983 :D) turned out to be a Hayman Modular (and a bag of bits) and a sunburst Fender P. They were a bit scabby compared to my lovely Cimar Tele Custom :) so I fixed up the Hayman and let them go for not much more than I picked them up for... in fact I think I may have just given the Fender away - god knows what vintage it was but I remember there was some foam muting under the bridge cover that was old enough to have had deteriorated into dusty stuff though.
Ooh if only I knew back then what I know now. :)

edit : Oh and then my first proper bass as a bass player was a Gibby Ripper.... it got nicked. :P

Edited by Ou7shined

Crafter Cruiser MM copy, still have it, with a set of steve harris sig flats on it, not that it's been played in about 5 years. Heavy as anything, seriously, seriously heavy, no idea how I ever gigged with it when I was a tender 14.

[quote name='nottswarwick' post='1244945' date='May 25 2011, 11:00 PM']Mine was a Yamaha BBN4.[/quote]

Heh, so was mine! In yellow natural satin. I don't still have mine, but it sure was a cut above as an intro to the instrument. Hope it's still going strong somewhere... wouldn't shock me as it was like a tank :)

Hohner P Bass copy, red with a white scratchplate - possibly my least favourite combination. It was, oooking back, completely sh1te.
I swapped it for a 386 PC setup to do my school and college work on and the lad that got it sprayed it (badly) purple with green flames, it looked awful but i was glad i got rid.

Picked up a nice passive Dean for £90 afterwards which was a massive upgrade, sounded miles better. The bad thing is that P copy put me off Hohners for ages so i turned down the B2 Steiny bass i saw in a pawn shop for £80, even though it played really well.

Retro thread.

Avon EB0 copy. £35 mail order from Rose Morris. About £34 over priced. Hideous unplayable dead sounding firewood.

Kids today don't know how lucky they are. We couldn't afford shoes. We used to boot polish our feet and tie laces on to them, etc.....

[i]damn speeling[/i]

Edited by Low End Bee