Why become a member? ×

THIS. IS. BEAUTIFUL!

davebass66

Sorry If this has already been posted but...

I have just seen the 60th anniversary P bass...it's a stunner (there is also one in the Gallery right now) :)

[url="http://www.fender.com/products/60th-pbass/models.php?prodNo=0196002"]http://www.fender.com/products/60th-pbass/...?prodNo=0196002[/url]

It has given me instant gas....

However I'm not sure I understand why they've made the 60th Anniversary P bass but put the later P bass pickups in it?

Looking forward to trying it out, thats for sure!
What do you guys think?

It's not like it's branded as a re-issue or anything....I think they're just taking some of the best bits of the P bass over the years and making something 'new'.....well as new as a P bass could be I guess!....

Each to their own and all that... :)

[quote name='davebass66' post='1244951' date='May 25 2011, 11:04 PM']It's not like it's branded as a re-issue or anything....I think they're just taking some of the best bits of the P bass over the years and making something 'new'.....well as new as a P bass could be I guess!....

Each to their own and all that... :)[/quote]
I think that's a fair assessment of what it is and it does look nice - but, as you say, each to their own. I certainly wouldn't refuse to play it.

[quote name='davebass66' post='1244951' date='May 25 2011, 11:04 PM']It's not like it's branded as a re-issue or anything....I think they're just taking some of the best bits of the P bass over the years and making something 'new'.....well as new as a P bass could be I guess!....

Each to their own and all that... :)[/quote]

Absolutely, I'm not mad on the look of the split P as opposed to the usual single coil, but different strokes.

Personally I think it needs a '51 headstock, that one just looks out of place. And I may have looked to modify the scratchplate in order that it 'met' up with the pups.

Otherwise I like it. Probably wouldn't buy one though.

I saw one of these a few weeks ago and although it's quite nice,it just seems......wrong,somehow. Almost as if Fender couldn't decide if they should make a '51 style or a more modern style Precision,do they just lumped the two together.

I tried one of these and wasn't all that impressed if I'm honest... the grain of the wood wasn't exactly as attractive as the photo model for a (bad) start, and going on from there it just didn't feel its money to me. Highly subjective commentary with very little to substantiate it, I know, but all I can say is that I went along with money in pocket to get it and came out of the shop without, and that is very odd for me indeed!

I am a Fender nut and I like the look but not the price.

I just wish that Fender would have had the balls to bring out a brand new design to mark this anniversary. Something that says that was our history, this is our future. Take the best of the past and design a bass that other manufacturers would say, damn, wish we had thought of that, just like 60 years ago. I know it won't happen as Leo got it right first time round.

I like the look of it, though agree it`s not correct to any specific period, more of a mish-mash of the two main Precisions.

As a few have said, a Mike Dirnt with a modrn headstock - but I still like it anyway. Gets a very good write-up in the current edition of Guitarist.

[quote name='BB3000S' post='1245134' date='May 26 2011, 07:15 AM']Call me shallow, but [b]I don't really like the distance between the pickup and the pickguard[/b]. :)
I'm sure it's a right good P-bass though, and the blonde finish looks sweet![/quote]
I agree... to an extent.
I do love the overall look... but it is what it is. If you want a tele headstock, that option is available on other basses go buy one of them.
But it seems kind of cheap that have just raided the parts bins for a stock '51 p/g to shove on it. It wouldn't have been too hard to produce a more specific for the split P.... but then again Fender aren't really know for new innovations are they.

Perhaps something simpler like the one on my Shuker....

Oh and for the headstock fascists :)