Why become a member? ×

Advice Sought For Buying A New Bass Guitar

Mgmikeyg

[quote name='Mgmikeyg' post='1244809' date='May 25 2011, 09:20 PM']Hi I'm am 13 and am just starting to play bass, currently I have a Squire Precision Bass but it is much to big for me. What would be a good buy for a good short scale bass on a budget? Thanks in advance![/quote]

There's a thread on short scale basses [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=136811&hl=short+scale+bass"]here.[/url]

What kind of music are you hoping to play?

Welcome to the world of bass!
If you're into retro/rock sounds, a possibility is the [url="http://www.gak.co.uk/en/epiphone-eb-0-sg-style-bass-cherry/16580"]Epiphone EB0[/url]
If possible, whatever you go for, try it out before you buy to make sure it feels and sounds right for you

[quote name='Mgmikeyg' post='1244809' date='May 25 2011, 09:20 PM']Hi I'm am 13 and am just starting to play bass, currently I have a Squire Precision Bass but it is much to big for me. What would be a good buy for a good short scale bass on a budget? Thanks in advance![/quote]

Hi there :)

I remember my first bass guitar that I was bought when I was 12 (nearly ten years ago) was a P-Bass copy and it did seem very large at the time. However, you'll most likely find that the size of the instrument becomes less and less of a problem as you advance and get used to playing. Some players use smaller scale basses but you should give playing your current bass a bit more time. My opinion is that if you learn on a smaller scale bass you may well have issues when the day comes making the transition to a larger instrument. Stick with it... I'm positive the size will become less of an issue over time.

[quote name='risingson' post='1244893' date='May 25 2011, 10:20 PM']Hi there :)

I remember my first bass guitar that I was bought when I was 12 (nearly ten years ago) was a P-Bass copy and it did seem very large at the time. However, you'll most likely find that the size of the instrument becomes less and less of a problem as you advance and get used to playing. Some players use smaller scale basses but you should give playing your current bass a bit more time. My opinion is that if you learn on a smaller scale bass you may well have issues when the day comes making the transition to a larger instrument. Stick with it... I'm positive the size will become less of an issue over time.[/quote]

+1 !

I was 11 when i started bass (i'm 15 now) and was 5ft 5" at the time! I'm almost 6ft (half an inch shy) now, so the bass will seem less huge later on!

But playing more will really help, it could be your just taking a while to get used to the bass :)