Why become a member? ×

tonight with jools holland 24th may 2011

skidder652003

Im sorry but was it me or as per usual, was every band bass player on the show tonight slinging a precision or a jazz WTF? Dont get me wrong, i love em but FFS whats that saying about every young bass player in a commercially successful band, sheep or what? Or does the "evil" empire of Leo have the industry's balls in a vice like grip of kudos and commercial nounce? - Discuss....

[quote name='skidder652003' post='1243601' date='May 24 2011, 10:38 PM']Im sorry but was it me or as per usual, was every band bass player on the show tonight slinging a precision or a jazz WTF? Dont get me wrong, i love em but FFS whats that saying about every young bass player in a commercially successful band, sheep or what? Or does the "evil" empire of Leo have the industry's balls in a vice like grip of kudos and commercial nounce? - Discuss....[/quote]
Maybe they just like them.

Image is a powerful thing. I love the look of those slab sided 51 reissues but I bet they sound like pants with that little single coil pickup.When bassists go on Jools show they know it just wouldn't look cool with a blue metallic 5 string Ibanez around their neck (even though they may have recorded the album with it). So they get the old Fender from under the bed to satisfy their stylist.

Edited by gjones

who didnt start off wanting a fender of some sort? some of us changed our minds, some confirmed our lourve!!

I changed my mind, but stand to be corrected....never gonna buy a precision again (soz not my thing) though... A Jazz? could be tempted but a precision? naa.
everyone loves a strat....bassplayer, or no..

school book covers full of Fender scrawled logos? I'm not alone.

[quote name='skidder652003' post='1243601' date='May 24 2011, 10:38 PM']Dont get me wrong, i love em but FFS whats that saying about every young bass player in a commercially successful band, sheep or what?[/quote]

Why should it be so surprising that there are so many of them in use? :)
Fender have been knocking these out for over 50 years now and will probably still be knocking them out long after many other manufacturers have disappeared.

It's not about their customers being sheep, it's about supplying what their customers will buy.

[quote name='skidder652003' post='1243601' date='May 24 2011, 10:38 PM']Im sorry but was it me or as per usual, was every band bass player on the show tonight slinging a precision or a jazz WTF? Dont get me wrong, i love em but FFS whats that saying about every young bass player in a commercially successful band, sheep or what? Or does the "evil" empire of Leo have the industry's balls in a vice like grip of kudos and commercial nounce? - Discuss....[/quote]

Why is Leo's empire "evil"???

Why is the supplier always blamed for a prevalence in sales of its products rather than the consumer? Its a buyers market and always has been....no customers, no suppliers.

As has been said above, many people choose Leos products because they are right for them or look good for them, Leo has no ones balls in a vice, its down to choice. Its for this reason that cigarette companies get blamed for people getting ill through smoking, same with breweries. The customer has the final choice wether to buy or not.

Yes, there are better basses out there in some respects, but none satisfy everything required by most players.

[quote name='gjones' post='1243639' date='May 24 2011, 11:01 PM']Image is a powerful thing. I love the look of those slab sided 51 reissues but I bet they sound like pants with that little single coil pickup.When bassists go on Jools show they know it just wouldn't look cool with a blue metallic 5 string Ibanez around their neck (even though they may have recorded the album with it). So they get the old Fender from under the bed to satisfy their stylist.[/quote]
Those slab sided 51 reissues actually sound great. You should try one.

Because they can sound good and look good..both of which would be very important to the artists on that show.

And it may well be that the band stylist has told them what to where and what to pair it with.
It is the same reason you see a lot of Ampegs onstage.. it may well fit the image and it's TV.

[quote name='JTUK' post='1243804' date='May 25 2011, 07:44 AM']Because they can sound good and look good..both of which would be very important to the artists on that show.

And it may well be that the band stylist has told them what to where and what to pair it with.
It is the same reason you see a lot of Ampegs onstage.. it may well fit the image and it's TV.[/quote]
If I'd ever been in a band with a stylist who'd told me what bass to wear, I'd have told him where to insert it and how to do it.

I must say that a Leo bass would probably be the last thing I'd take onto a show like Later, but it is all down to personal preference (stylists notwithstanding). If some people prefer a Leo, I'm not going to criticise them for it.

The Guitarist in Yuck was playing a Gibbo?

Every band I go and watch these days comprises:

Lead Guitar: Strat
Bass: Precision/Jazz

Fenders have the 'image' I guess but are also gigging workhorses.

Leo got it right first time, and like BMW, the product has evolved 'slooowly' and hasn't lost it's essential mojo.

LC

[quote name='Mr Fudge' post='1243869' date='May 25 2011, 08:54 AM']Interestingly I thought a lot of the basses on the show last night soun ded great. More to the point they could be heard. Whoever did the sound mix to come through my TV should be commended. The 50's P bass sounded exceptionally good IMO[/quote]

+1

Great sounds from Yuck.

[quote name='witterth' post='1243703' date='May 24 2011, 11:56 PM']who didnt start off wanting a fender of some sort?[/quote]
Me.

When I was a beginner and relatively uninformed I would have chosen a Rickenbacker 4001 (or more likely a John Birch custom copy) or a Les Paul Triumph.

By the time I actually knew something and had the benefit of actually playing the instruments I would have picked an Aria Pro II SB1000.

[quote name='neilb' post='1243793' date='May 25 2011, 07:08 AM']Why is Leo's empire "evil"??? ...[/quote]
Besides the ratio of Leo era basses to contemporary mass produced "copies" (ok they bought the patent and trade mark) on that or any show will be minimal.
Leo wasn't part of any evil world domination plan.... quite the opposite.

[quote name='Sercet' post='1243801' date='May 25 2011, 07:41 AM']Those slab sided 51 reissues actually sound great. You should try one.[/quote]

Yeah man, you tell them fools like it is!!

Nothing wrong with Fender and no evil empire either, Leo, God bless his soul should rest in peace for ever, he sold his company and moved on to other ground breaking projects. Give him respect.