Why become a member? ×

christian bass players

nomis

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1357686573' post='1926928']
I think it possibly can be one of the worst things about growing up in a church/around christians sometimes, and it doesn't sound fun for you. When I hit teenage years always remembered wanting to be away playing sunday league! But my point is, looking back - the good things of community as a kid outweighed the bad and... not all churches are like the one you went to. Though I understand where you're coming from! :)
[/quote]
Hi Luke! :hi: sorry for seemingly over-negative post...
Thanks for reading and your empathy.. a verse (for both of us?)

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=4][b] Numbers 6:24-26[/b]

[size=3]New International Version (NIV)[/size][/size][/font]

[indent=1][sup]24 [/sup]“‘“The Lord bless you
[font=monospace][size=1] [/size][/font]and keep you;
[sup]25 [/sup]the Lord make his face shine on you
[font=monospace][size=1] [/size][/font]and be gracious to you;
[sup]26 [/sup]the Lord turn his face toward you
[font=monospace][size=1] [/size][/font]and give you peace.”’[/indent]

Edited by SimonEdward

[quote name='radansey' timestamp='1307132605' post='1255961']
I often get the urge to play the 'Money' bass-line during the offertory hymn/song.
[/quote]

I play guitar or keys in church. I'm the only musician they've got, and most of them are pensioners who like "old boring stuff". However a little classical guitar technique works wonders with playing traditional SATB ... you play the melody with the bass line and just enough of the inside parts to make some kind of sense out of it and they love it.

They have an offering and I often use the intro to [i]Stairway to heaven[/i] (there's a lady who's sure all that glitters is gold, and she's buying a stairway to heaven). One or two people recognised the tune, but I'm sure nobody knows the words as I haven't been asked to stop playing it yet.

It's dull being the only one. I much prefer playing with other people, but if you set up a band in the chapel there wouldn't be much room for anyone else (even if you could find the musicians). Plus I'm sure if I played guitar in there the way I like to play it, I'd get excommunicated at least.

I also help to run an ensemble called Joyfull Noyse, drawn from a variety of churches around here. I used to be their bass player until we got someone in who treats it as his first instrument, so now I'm let loose on guitar.

[quote name='jimbobothy' timestamp='1321736673' post='1442675']
Hey folks, I play about once a month at a church in Huddersfield, one of 5 bassists on a rota!! Also do a bit of PA ( I can officialy roll up cables :) ). Contemporary stuff and occasionally I can actually slap and it fits the song, funnily enough I can't fit any in 'Father God I wonder' :lol:
[/quote]

Can't get slap into this but the Taurus bass pedals add a certain depth.

[quote name='Sean' timestamp='1358113872' post='1933454']
I'm not allowed to say negative things about iconic religious figures so I won't say anything.

I don't play christian or satanic music. Religiously.
[/quote]

One wonders why you bothered to post or even read this thread. After all, it's a thread about Christians who play bass not about religious figures Christian or otherwise. Also, satanic music has nothing to do with the thread. If you want to say that you play bass but are not a Christian then that's fine I suppose but ultimately I would wonder why you would feel pressed to say this. If you are a Christian but don't play Christian music then that 's also fine to say. Not very constructive but fine. All the best.

Edited by Hutton

[quote name='Sean' timestamp='1358113872' post='1933454']
I'm not allowed to say negative things about iconic religious figures so I won't say anything.

I don't play christian or satanic music. Religiously.
[/quote]

I don't play Christian music religiously, I play it Gracefully.
That's why we praise. :heart:

Guys, I haven't really spoken overtely to anyone about this, but after 20+ years away from the faith I have found back to salvation, which is a beautiful miracle really because I really, really felt like the lost son sleeping with the pigs and full of guilt. After a long, long time of travels and ardour I've returned to my native land, and I finally contacted a local priest and she prayed with me, since I found it's not been up to me at all, and finally all fell into place. I pray every day and I go to church every Sunday and it's great, so far not been in contact with any other believers (apart from the other service goers who see me and I guess wonder about who exactly I am) about this really yet and felt that I should, because luke 11:33 and so on so I hope that this little story of mine will bring some joy into somebody's heart. Thanks, Jesus, for your never ending love.

[quote name='Hutton' timestamp='1358243037' post='1935246']
C'mon folks. This has been a good thread enjoyed by those of us who play bass in church. Please let's keep it on track and stay away from posts which are not constructive to the discussion.
[/quote]

That's a good point. I'm not a christian, or even believe in religion, but i think this thread should stick to what it was intended for- Discussing being a bass player in a church. I don't think anybody should be airing views to either extreme on here (i.e. no faith or a strong faith) but rather about being a musician for a church, and what that means etc.

Just trying to keep everything fair and away from any serious discussing about religion.

[quote name='iceonaboy' timestamp='1358244610' post='1935283']
Calm down guys, it was meant as a joke, can you not see that? Dead in a church?....
[/quote]

Crap joke mate :)

I'm agnostic, almost athiest, however that's no reason for me to hijack a thread for christian bassists is it. Why don't you set one up for crap comedan bassists?

[quote name='janmaat' timestamp='1358201539' post='1934904']
Guys, I haven't really spoken overtely to anyone about this, but after 20+ years away from the faith I have found back to salvation, which is a beautiful miracle really because I really, really felt like the lost son sleeping with the pigs and full of guilt. After a long, long time of travels and ardour I've returned to my native land, and I finally contacted a local priest and she prayed with me, since I found it's not been up to me at all, and finally all fell into place. I pray every day and I go to church every Sunday and it's great, so far not been in contact with any other believers (apart from the other service goers who see me and I guess wonder about who exactly I am) about this really yet and felt that I should, because luke 11:33 and so on so I hope that this little story of mine will bring some joy into somebody's heart. Thanks, Jesus, for your never ending love.
[/quote]

Amen. :)

I used to lay down the low end for The Lord, but I'm not able to go to that church anymore & struggling to find a new one. Not so much to play at, but just one that has a good worship & service combined. Got another to try this Sunday.

If you need some good worship songs to learn (even just for at home), we can post some on here.

[quote name='iceonaboy' timestamp='1358244610' post='1935283']
Calm down guys, it was meant as a joke, can you not see that? Dead in a church?....
[/quote]

I saw it, and i wasn't actually referring to that in my previous post. But just be careful you don't upset the apple cart, because the way i see it, it would be incredibly easy to get a warning or the thread locked here, and that wouldn't be fair.

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1358249752' post='1935409']
Amen. :)

I used to lay down the low end for The Lord, but I'm not able to go to that church anymore & struggling to find a new one. Not so much to play at, but just one that has a good worship & service combined. Got another to try this Sunday.

If you need some good worship songs to learn (even just for at home), we can post some on here.
[/quote] i know a good church in perth, they don't have an amzing amount of musicians at the mo, so much so that I once turned up with a band from Edinburgh to give them a week off.

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1358255668' post='1935626']
i know a good church in perth, they don't have an amzing amount of musicians at the mo, so much so that I once turned up with a band from Edinburgh to give them a week off.
[/quote]

Which one is that? I'll go have a look.

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1358268893' post='1936026']
Which one is that? I'll go have a look.
[/quote] seem to be called the kings house now. odd name. http://www.kingschurchperth.org - I know the fella who leads it, was at his daughter's wedding last month

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1358269485' post='1936043']
seem to be called the kings house now. odd name. http://www.kingschurchperth.org - I know the fella who leads it, was at his daughter's wedding last month
[/quote]

Cheers, I'll have a look after dinner.

• 2 weeks later...

Thinking about it, I've grown up playing bass at church. Starting playing the bass because there wasn't one in the worship band at the time and there were/are too many chords and stuff to learn on the guitar. Now play at the Community Church derby playing the modern songs on a regular basis.
I believe music & spirituallity are closely linked. Music is used in many religions for achieving a mind of worship / enlightenment and can express yourself using a separate language of music rather than words.

Having said that, one thing worth pointing out is that if you do 'play' at church it doesn't automatically make you talented. It still takes, practice & time to become talented and tasteful!
The last pub/covers band I was in all played at church in the worship band and this did help on Sunday mornings. Although there is an element of performance, just on Sunday's its not about 'me'

I play bass at church! Used to play at quite a big one before uni with some great players as well. 800ish on a sunday over 2 services. Great fun! Now play in a smaller church up near London :) We've just bought a big ol' steeldeck stage as well which gives us an excuse to turn up the bass nice 'n loud from now on!

Is anyone else sick of Standard Christian worship music? Seems like Newday are the only ones at least trying something slightly different.

[quote name='iamapirate' timestamp='1358994058' post='1948334']
Is anyone else sick of Standard Christian worship music? Seems like Newday are the only ones at least trying something slightly different.
[/quote]

We had 90's Worship sounding like U2, 00's worship sounding like Coldplay... what next?
Unfortunatley, most church music has to be easy to sing and easy to follow for congregations, its all a bit 'safe'.

[quote name='scannerman' timestamp='1359063261' post='1949422']
We had 90's Worship sounding like U2, 00's worship sounding like Coldplay... what next?
Unfortunatley, most church music has to be easy to sing and easy to follow for congregations, its all a bit 'safe'.
[/quote]

I don't go to church but how does British church bands' music compare with some of the ultra funky American stuff?

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1359063491' post='1949430']
I don't go to church but how does British church bands' music compare with some of the ultra funky American stuff?
[/quote]

As alluded to, it's generally 'safe' and middle-of-the-roadish. But, the point of the exercise is to serve and encourage the congregation. If, as I do, you play in a church that has a sizeable proportion of older, conservative people, the music should reflect that (while at the same time gently 'pushing the boundries' ;) ). There are large, succesful churces geared-up for younger people and their music reflects that. I think it's fair to say though, that US-Style funk is thin on the ground. (I'm very happy to be proven wrong though!).
As far as I'm concerned, traditional does not have to equal bad, or boring. And, as with any music in any context, if the musicians are not engaging with commitment and enthusiasm to it then it's a broken situation.
Once a month we have a real traditional service using the vast organ. But, the thing is, our keyboard player can't play the bass pedals. So, I get the job of playing the bass line. It's great fun. Some of those walking basslines in the old hymns are magnificent. It improves my reading and I can really let rip on the low end. :D

[quote name='scannerman' timestamp='1359067333' post='1949539']
for that you need some GOSPEL! [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pATcvr3zAhg[/media]
[/quote]

He's a bit good isn't he B) .

... anyhow the missus and I moved churches last year to a local New Frontiers church with a different style of worship band. Think cut back; a cajon or bodhran, guitar, bass and a few vocals. It has been more developed than that on occasion but it certainly makes me try to play more expressively as there is more space to do so :P