Why become a member? ×

christian bass players

nomis

I'm a Christian but have never had a chance to be in a Christian band or play at a church. In the last band I was in, the guitarist and I did write some songs which did seem somewhat like Christian rock, but that is the closest I've ever been to that. I did fill in on bass once for someone at a church, but I'm not really counting that. Those of you who are playing at church--at least some of you--are probably enjoying yourselves more than many people realize, though.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='1245693' date='May 26 2011, 02:53 PM']I'd never go near a church but it does interest me as to the way you do a church gig, it seems like there is A LOT of audience participation, does that put you off?[/quote]
Fair enough!

Yes, you'd be correct, there is a [i]lot[/i] of audience participation - I think it just adds to the enjoyment of playing for God in the first place. Doesn't put me off in the slightest; in fact if the audience / congregation were still seated or staring back in stony silence, I'd have thought I'd failed in my job to get everyone up and moving. In the church I'm a member of, we positively encourage participation, otherwise what's the point?

We're all in it to serve God as best we can - I just happen to have found a vocation in which I can let loose and make loud noises at the same time! Couple of weeks ago, when I had my big rig set up, our worship leader actually asked me to turn it [i]up[/i] a bit! :)

Happy days
Ian

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='1245693' date='May 26 2011, 02:53 PM']I'd never go near a church but it does interest me as to the way you do a church gig, it seems like there is A LOT of audience participation, does that put you off?[/quote]

by that do you mean people singing along etc? it doesnt bother me at all,

for me there is a bit more pressure because youre following the band leader but it makes you a heck of a lot better on your instrument because you have to get to a stage where you dont need to think so much about what you are playing and concentrate on where the band leader wants to be!

did that make sense?

[quote name='paul_5' post='1245674' date='May 26 2011, 02:39 PM']This took some doing at our gaff...

Great line to play.[/quote]
I'm looking forward to playing this song one day, but at present the guitarist (other than me) can only strum chords & plays a 12 string acoustic.
The bass solo is quality too.

Audience participation is really a big part of worship & only serves to make what is played more meaningful. It's all about worshiping God & not about the congregation or how good the band are, tho these things do help. :)
Funny you calling it a gig. I did too when I first got saved. :)

I don't attend church now, but I was brought up in that environment and started, playing, drums, guitar and then bass from 9. I tell ya, I learnt alot there. I was very fortunate, alot of those guys that I had the privilege to play with through my teens were either full-time or part-time pros, they played at a very high standard and were very humble... The music was anything from traditional hymns, to gospel, hill songs, to Delirious and DC Talk..

Yeah there's alot of good sound coming from church... You play with your heart

Just got my list for sunday night as an example, some good uptempo stuff, we'll be full band

Give thanks to the Lord
Hosanna (praise is rising)
Hallelujah (your love is amazing)
God of Wonders

(All who are thirsty)
Consuming Fire
How great thou art

Out of interest alot of top christian bands are playing the o2 on the 11th june, sadly can't make it due to already having a gig booked

This is an honest, questioning post, NOT trolling.

Why does there seem to be a need for being a "Christian ......." (insert whatever here). I have recently seen a "Christian Motorbike Club" (out on a Sunday BTW), and this morning pulled up in a car park next to a car plastered in Christian stickers, including "Christian Surfers". Now we have "Christian Bass Players". There doesn't seem to be the need for atheist, Jewish or Muslim versions of these groups, why the need to create this segregation?

[quote name='Mykesbass' post='1246173' date='May 26 2011, 08:11 PM']This is an honest, questioning post, NOT trolling.

Why does there seem to be a need for being a "Christian ......." (insert whatever here). I have recently seen a "Christian Motorbike Club" (out on a Sunday BTW), and this morning pulled up in a car park next to a car plastered in Christian stickers, including "Christian Surfers". Now we have "Christian Bass Players". There doesn't seem to be the need for atheist, Jewish or Muslim versions of these groups, why the need to create this segregation?[/quote]

I understand your point, maybe 'Worship bass players' would have been a better title.

I have found it an interesting thread, it's a 'gig' that I'll never do and seems very much removed from the type of gig I'd do and the question I did ask had some interesting, eloquent answers.

Ah ace! It's cool to see loads of other Church-going bassists on here!

I play here! [url="http://www.newlifelincoln.org.uk/"]http://www.newlifelincoln.org.uk/[/url] :)

Been to this Church all my life. Absolutely brilliant place! We run loads of cool community work like: [url="http://www.actstrust.org.uk/"]http://www.actstrust.org.uk/[/url] and put on this massive Christian festival every year at the Lincolnshire Showground: [url="http://www.grapevinecelebration.org.uk/2011/"]http://www.grapevinecelebration.org.uk/2011/[/url], from which we produce an album from the Big Top worship :)

We've got a team about 150 musicians in the worship team (on a rotor of course!) and so I swap between five other bassists. We've got a pretty nice Trace 2x10 and 1x15 rig with a bring-your-own head kind of deal :lol:

If any of you guys are ever around the Lincoln area you should pop in :D

Edited by Ben Jamin

[quote name='Mykesbass' post='1246173' date='May 26 2011, 07:11 PM']This is an honest, questioning post, NOT trolling.

Why does there seem to be a need for being a "Christian ......." (insert whatever here). I have recently seen a "Christian Motorbike Club" (out on a Sunday BTW), and this morning pulled up in a car park next to a car plastered in Christian stickers, including "Christian Surfers". Now we have "Christian Bass Players". There doesn't seem to be the need for atheist, Jewish or Muslim versions of these groups, why the need to create this segregation?[/quote]

I think I have seen an atheist bass club somewhere on the Internet quite some time ago. I don't keep up with bass boards too much anymore since, quite frankly, I feel that this is by far the best one.

Well, I've read the thread so thought I'd best join in and put my two penn'orth into the mix. Play in a covers band - currently in semi-retirement due to singers bowel cancer and in the music group at our local church (C of E) and a worship band that lead a monthly service. Aside from the reason we do it, it gives me a great work out on bass guitar and EUB with a far higher turn over of songs than my gigging band! Played for a service in our local Tesco's car park on Good Friday - 150 people singing with us playing, truly awesome!
Great to see so many fellow travellers!

[quote name='Mykesbass' post='1246173' date='May 26 2011, 08:11 PM']This is an honest, questioning post, NOT trolling.

i think my point was more of a ''i play bass at church on a sunday and we play a particular style so i was just wondering if there were any people who play similar stuff to me'' kind of thing!

it wasnt to create segregation, i suppose its similar to having a ''jazz bass players'' or ''punk bass players'' section

i suppose its more of a genre than anything

you get me?

I get where you're coming from.
I think the "Christian whatever clubs" are really just fellow Christians looking to find any like minded folk & as the OP says, it's not really different to any others (eg: Fender appreciation thread) & I wouldn't segregate myself from anyone else on this (or any other) forum.
I joined BC well before I became a Christian & could be argued that by joining BC, I have dingyed all the other musicians, tho I would argue I haven't :)

Ancient Mariner did previously post a topic with the title "Worship Bay Splayers".

At the end of the day I'm glad to say I'm a member on Basschat & despite all the differing beliefs on here, it's a great community to be amongst. :)

Back in the eighties I played with a gospel band called 'Bless you' :) til we all persuaded the singer ,whos band it was to change it to 'portico'.
we played greenbelt arts fest a couple of times and did some prison gigs that were interesting to say the least as the audience were not allowed to move whilst we were playing and were surrounded by guards at all times, in response to waynes earlier post, that was weirder than the gigis where the audience were dancing around.

[quote name='therose789' post='1246475' date='May 26 2011, 11:49 PM']i think my point was more of a ''i play bass at church on a sunday and we play a particular style so i was just wondering if there were any people who play similar stuff to me'' kind of thing!

it wasnt to create segregation, i suppose its similar to having a ''jazz bass players'' or ''punk bass players'' section

i suppose its more of a genre than anything

you get me?[/quote]

Fair point, on here I guess the term can be describing a musical genre, just was the combination of this, the motorbike run a couple of weeks ago and the surfers. Still feel the latter two are a bit unnecessary and divisive.

Nice question, but the need is simply defining the belief and code of the group in question, and it is also true that other faiths and even to some extent now non faiths do form groups

You maybe reading this as they are forming something exclusive to them, but it is most likely the complete opposite, if they are truly christian, welcoming in and being with non believers etc is a big part of being christian

As I said in a previous post, I am not a christian, but am a supporter of my local church, I see them do amazing things through a number of projects, and have found myself getting involved with the music through that

For me, especially as someone who doesn't understand the emotion of worship I see in the crowd where I play, it was very uncomfortable to start with, as I saw people who clearly used the music to connect with their God ? I was used to playing in front of a party crowd and obviously this was different, I even thought my being there might be wrong

But now I really just lose myself in the music and enjoying the evening

Edited by lojo

A very interesting and thought-provoking question, and some great answers so far, better than I could have elocuted :)

I don't think the label 'Christian xyz' is meant to be devisive, more it's an attempt by the OP to find other bass players who just happen to play in church / Christians etc. I think a lot of players have gotten started in playing by being in church or a church-run youth group. I know I got back into playing bass in my thirties after being out in the wilderness for many years! The church has given me an opportunity to serve God in a way that brings my faith out, and an ability to encourage others. Plus as I've intimated before in this (and other threads), it gives me an excuse to rip out the big rig :)

From a musicianship perspective as well, we have several excellent musicians in our worship team / band - people who I respect immensely for their talent as well as their heart for worship. They have given me room to grow into transitioning from Bass Owner to Bass Player to Musician. We're all on a journey together is the best way I can describe the friendships that have grown within the group.

It's widened my musical horizons as well, getting into bands and genres I wouldn't have necessarily discovered had I been a non-believer. I also listen to a lot of main-stream music just to be encouraged in exploring my musical ability.

HTH,
Ian

[quote name='lojo' post='1246629' date='May 27 2011, 08:35 AM']Nice question, but the need is simply defining the belief and code of the group in question, and it is also true that other faiths and even to some extent now non faiths do form groups

You maybe reading this as they are forming something exclusive to them, but it is most likely the complete opposite, if they are truly christian, welcoming in and being with non believers etc is a big part of being christian

As I said in a previous post, I am not a christian, but am a supporter of my local church, I see them do amazing things through a number of projects, and have found myself getting involved with the music through that

For me, especially as someone who doesn't understand the emotion of worship I see in the crowd where I play, it was very uncomfortable to start with, as I saw people who clearly used the music to connect with their God ? I was used to playing in front of a party crowd and obviously this was different, I even thought my being there might be wrong

But now I really just lose myself in the music and enjoying the evening[/quote]
What an excellent post lojo. I'm enjoying this thread. Thanks

[quote name='Bottle' post='1246692' date='May 27 2011, 09:39 AM']A very interesting and thought-provoking question, and some great answers so far, better than I could have elocuted :)

I don't think the label 'Christian xyz' is meant to be devisive, more it's an attempt by the OP to find other bass players who just happen to play in church / Christians etc. I think a lot of players have gotten started in playing by being in church or a church-run youth group. I know I got back into playing bass in my thirties after being out in the wilderness for many years! The church has given me an opportunity to serve God in a way that brings my faith out, and an ability to encourage others. Plus as I've intimated before in this (and other threads), it gives me an excuse to rip out the big rig :)

From a musicianship perspective as well, we have several excellent musicians in our worship team / band - people who I respect immensely for their talent as well as their heart for worship. They have given me room to grow into transitioning from Bass Owner to Bass Player to Musician. We're all on a journey together is the best way I can describe the friendships that have grown within the group.

It's widened my musical horizons as well, getting into bands and genres I wouldn't have necessarily discovered had I been a non-believer. I also listen to a lot of main-stream music just to be encouraged in exploring my musical ability.

HTH,
Ian[/quote]

+1

[quote name='Mykesbass' post='1246612' date='May 27 2011, 08:12 AM']Fair point, on here I guess the term can be describing a musical genre, just was the combination of this, the motorbike run a couple of weeks ago and the surfers. Still feel the latter two are a bit unnecessary and divisive.[/quote]

As some who doesn't attend church, I think the only way it would be divisive is if it meant non-Christians were not allowed to be involved, and I can't see that really being the case in this thread. It's same way you would would have scout club. If you don't like the scouts or their activities, you just wouldn't attend, it doesn't mean you can't get involved.

[quote name='Johnston' post='1246686' date='May 27 2011, 09:34 AM']Why did you convince him to change the name to "Portico" It sounds like a company supplying porta loos :)[/quote]

'Portico' loosly translates as 'door' or 'portal'. 'Bless You' sounds more like an exclaimation after someone sneezes. Portico is a much better name for a band.

[quote name='radansey' post='1242790' date='May 24 2011, 11:59 AM']I progressed through different basses until I settled on my Tanglewood Curbow and Ibanez SR through either a 50W or 150W Peavey combo (and latterly DI-ed through the sound-system).[/quote]

Just to clarify, because I'm curious - do you mean a Tanglewood Canyon or a Cort Curbow?