Why become a member? ×

Sadowsky's, Out of Fashion?

waynepunkdude

I think the prices are part of why I gave up on the Metros. A few years back, they were reasonable, but still expensive.

Now, they are almost £2000, or more.

I just cannot justify that much when you can get something like a full spec Dingwall for £2400 ish.

Id still like a nice PJ from Sadowsky, but the economy, the price rises, etc, have totally put me off.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1241314' date='May 23 2011, 10:55 AM']I think the prices are part of why I gave up on the Metros. A few years back, they were reasonable, but still expensive.

Now, they are almost £2000, or more.

I just cannot justify that much when you can get something like a full spec Dingwall for £2400 ish.

Id still like a nice PJ from Sadowsky, but the economy, the price rises, etc, have totally put me off.[/quote]

Couldn't agree more. Whilst I remember getting into a dispute a while ago for saying this, I really don't mind saying it again: the Metro prices are totally unjustified, in as much as you're paying for the name more than anything else. A shame because I would definitely buy one if they weren't so terribly priced. I'll probably buy second hand at some stage.

[quote name='KERMITNT' post='1241412' date='May 23 2011, 12:12 PM']i canot justify giving 2000 for a fender clone[/quote]

^ Says the man with an F-Bass.

Sadowsky's are brilliant basses. I dont think the fact that there are a few in the for sale forum is indicative of anything.

Edited by Toasted

I think quite a few people are unloading their top end gear to raise cash, because they're skint. I know I am. Skint that is.

My experience of Sadowskys are that I've found them a little clinical sounding, and lacking a bit of soul. I had a Metro Jazz, and prefered the Highway One Jazz it was meant to replace. Having said that, Joe (Toasted) had an absolute stunner at one of the Moffat bashes a year or two back, it really was jaw dropping, but not a metro from memory Joe? it was the real deal I think.

[quote name='Toasted' post='1241425' date='May 23 2011, 12:15 PM']Sadowsky's are brilliant basses. I dont think the fact that there are a few in the for sale forum is indicative of anything.[/quote]

+1 on both points.

Because a few have come along at once recently doesn't mean they've fallen out of favour.

I couldn't be more happy with my Metro.

I love Sadowskys, they are real quality

I was lucky enough to get a Metro back when the pound was high
so a new Metro only cost £1100

but I can't agree that with Metros you're paying only for the name;
the quality (and especially the consistency) is considerably higher than typical US Fender,
even taking into account that the latter have improved

I hate mine.
[attachment=80711:IMGP2608.jpg]

In seriousness though, I still rate them very highly although it is unfortunate that the Metro's seem to have taken a bit of a price hike. I paid about 2k for my NYC and it's worth every penny. The "Fender Clone" comments just seem pointless - what do most other basses have thats so different? 2 pickups? maybe JJ, or PJ, of or soapbars? a headstock? some tuners?...

Or are you actually paying for quality and tone that you like - the shape of the bass is a pretty moot point, you will buy one in the shape and colour that you like no?

When a standard US Fender is going for around £1200 and the US Deluxe is going for £1500, the Metro prices don't look that bad. Prices for a lot of stuff has gone pretty sky high. Also the Metro basses are not 'budget' basses built in some massive Cort factory. The quality of construction and design of my Metro is as good as any bass I have tried, and I have tried a few. If folk want to dismiss it because it is an expensive bass that is made in Japan, then let them. Most people that have tried and did not like a Metro would probably not like an NYC either. They are pretty much the same bass.

The Sadowskys look similar to Fenders but have a bit more of a clinical sound to them. Some people like it, some people don't. If you want something to sound exactly like a Fender, just get a Fender.

Only thing I have against them is that the maple fingerboards on the Metros have a very plain look to them. Mind you I also see that in a lot of NYCs that are ordered without the overly fancy options, so I think it is just a Sadowsky trait rather than proof of it being a cheap bass.

Sometimes There was a big thread here last year where everyone got their 'I love/hate Sadowsky' feelings out. I doubt anything has changed frankly and that this will go the same way.

[quote name='thodrik' post='1241560' date='May 23 2011, 01:31 PM']Only thing I have against them is that the maple fingerboards on the Metros have a very plain look to them.[/quote]

This is my only complaint, when next to my maple Fender MIA jazz the fretboard does look a bit cheapy compared. Soon overlooked once you look at everything else about it though. :)

[quote name='Legion' post='1241522' date='May 23 2011, 01:09 PM']I hate mine.
[attachment=80711:IMGP2608.jpg]

In seriousness though, I still rate them very highly although it is unfortunate that the Metro's seem to have taken a bit of a price hike. I paid about 2k for my NYC and it's worth every penny. The "Fender Clone" comments just seem pointless - what do most other basses have thats so different? 2 pickups? maybe JJ, or PJ, of or soapbars? a headstock? some tuners?...

Or are you actually paying for quality and tone that you like - the shape of the bass is a pretty moot point, you will buy one in the shape and colour that you like no?[/quote]

See, thats a beauty, and Id pay £2000 for a NY :)

When the most basic spec (vintage style) NYC now costs $4075 (£2546) before shipping, import duty and tax you can see why people still buy metro's at their current prices here in the UK!

I bought mine from From Guitar Guitar because buying one direct actually worked out more expensive!!

Having owned both nyc and metro i really dont get why there seems to be this wierd thing against the metro range?? The quality is the same but with less paint / wood options :)

I personally wouldnt ever buy a new fender because i dont think they're worth the money but thats just me! :)