Why become a member? ×

Sadowsky's, Out of Fashion?

waynepunkdude

[quote name='molan' post='1242500' date='May 24 2011, 12:20 AM']How old was the one you tried?

They've really improved over the last 18 months or so. I'd definitely rate them up with an NYC Sadowsky now.[/quote]
It was quite recently (in Bass Gear in Harrogate) so I assume that it was quite a recent model

It was a stunning looking instrument (probably the prettiest looking jazz bass that I have ever seen) and I am a big Fodera fan so I really wanted to like it, but it didn't really do it for me! Perhaps if I had 30 minutes with an allen key and a heavier gauge set of strings it might have been different

Unfortunately I have never played a US Sadowsky, so I can’t compare it directly. Would definitely love to try one out properly as I imagine it is probably what I had in mind when I was looking for a ‘super jazz’ (which ended up being the Mayones with the East preamp)!

[quote name='peteb' post='1243574' date='May 24 2011, 10:14 PM']It was quite recently (in Bass Gear in Harrogate) so I assume that it was quite a recent model

It was a stunning looking instrument (probably the prettiest looking jazz bass that I have ever seen) and I am a big Fodera fan so I really wanted to like it, but it didn't really do it for me! Perhaps if I had 30 minutes with an allen key and a heavier gauge set of strings it might have been different

Unfortunately I have never played a US Sadowsky, so I can’t compare it directly. Would definitely love to try one out properly as I imagine it is probably what I had in mind when I was looking for a ‘super jazz’ (which ended up being the Mayones with the East preamp)![/quote]

All of Phil's basses are the newer models - I've had a go on all three of them :)

Was the one you tried the red 4 or the natural 5?

Your theory about strings and set up is really interesting. Most Foderas come with 40-100 nickels and a vaguely medium height set up.

I helped Phil at the London bass show this year and we literally had two people in a row that tried one of the NYC's and one said the action needed drastically lowering and that he was surprised that Foderas weren't set up with a super low action. The very next person said he couldn't get a proper feel for it with the light gauge strings and such a low, 'unplayable', action!

Just goes to show you can't please all of the people all of the time, lol.

I know that I've seen basses 'transformed' with a different set of strings and a set up that suits me. Just changing something as simple as this makes them feel totally different and this improved playability makes them actually 'sound' better to me as well - all totally subjective of course!

Speaking of which - I once ran a little test at my place with three different people and a Sadowsky Will Lee NYC, a Celinder J Update and a Fodera NYC. Each person chose a different one as their favourite!

[quote name='molan' post='1243602' date='May 24 2011, 10:39 PM']All of Phil's basses are the newer models - I've had a go on all three of them :)

Was the one you tried the red 4 or the natural 5?

Your theory about strings and set up is really interesting. Most Foderas come with 40-100 nickels and a vaguely medium height set up.

I helped Phil at the London bass show this year and we literally had two people in a row that tried one of the NYC's and one said the action needed drastically lowering and that he was surprised that Foderas weren't set up with a super low action. The very next person said he couldn't get a proper feel for it with the light gauge strings and such a low, 'unplayable', action!

Just goes to show you can't please all of the people all of the time, lol.

I know that I've seen basses 'transformed' with a different set of strings and a set up that suits me. Just changing something as simple as this makes them feel totally different and this improved playability makes them actually 'sound' better to me as well - all totally subjective of course!

Speaking of which - I once ran a little test at my place with three different people and a Sadowsky Will Lee NYC, a Celinder J Update and a Fodera NYC. Each person chose a different one as their favourite![/quote]
It could well have made all the difference if it had a set of steel 45-105s on and I could have got the action down a fair bit (it was the red 4 BTW)

Would love to have tried out those three basses when I was looking for a jazz bass - I would imagine that there wouldn't be much between them and you would pick the one that just clicked with you for some unidentifiable reason

I really liked the look of the Will Lee Sadowsky but it was way over my budget….

BTW have you ever tried a John East active circuit? A phenomenal piece of kit that really gives you a great active jazz sound with loads of clout

[quote name='peteb' post='1243638' date='May 24 2011, 11:00 PM']It could well have made all the difference if it had a set of steel 45-105s on and I could have got the action down a fair bit (it was the red 4 BTW)

Would love to have tried out those three basses when I was looking for a jazz bass - I would imagine that there wouldn't be much between them and you would pick the one that just clicked with you for some unidentifiable reason

I really liked the look of the Will Lee Sadowsky but it was way over my budget….

BTW have you ever tried a John East active circuit? A phenomenal piece of kit that really gives you a great active jazz sound with loads of clout[/quote]

It was that same red one that I used for the test :)

To be honest it marginally won overall but there was some bias in my 'sample' as the other two people preferred a much brighter sound than me & the Fodera really nailed an aggressive rock tone for one guy :)

Funnily enough I have a real problems with the J East pre-amp. I just don't get on with them at all. I've had a few basses with them and they seemed fine if you just left everything well alone but I didn't like them once I started to 'tune' them :9

Just goes to show - horses for courses, lol.

I have kind of an ambivalent feeling about Sadowsky. Having owned 3 (1 NYC, 1 Metro and 1 Tokyo) and played several others (not just in stores, but also at gigs), I was never truly happy with the sound I got.

They are great playing basses, though, and I must admit that the P/J4 Metro I had sounded pretty damn good. I needed a 5 though, so I bought one from a local store (a Metro P/J 5 rosewood), and it sounded very nice, but not as good as the 4-string I used to have.

Now, I have no preference towards active/passive, ash/alder, maple/rosewood, 34"/35". I used to at some point, but having owned a lot of basses, I have found that there is no pattern to be found in the ones that I have decided to keep and play. But as for the 'on stroids' thing. The Celinder Update I used to own was beating any sadowsky I have ever played by far. But hey.. all of the above is just IMO, of course. Many love Sadowsky and they ae great basses - they are just not for me. Cheers! :)

well, I recently put my Sadowsky Metro V4 on bass chat and within a few days I had people almost biting my hand off with offers.

I am only selling mine because I need the money and my Valenti is just as good. Although I will be looking at a custom build later.

The Fodera NYC red 4 string you two are talking about is AMAZING .. myself and CHRISDABASS played it at Bass Day in Manchester and we were blown away!

I do agree that new Sadowsky Metro's are very expensive, but I would never buy new, only second hand. plus, when you can go to Shuker and get a custom build jazz with Sadowsky pre and pups for about £1k ..

• 4 months later...

I think I'm in the same boat as most others, forever I wanted a Sadowsky but could never really afford. I got lucky recently when I managed to get a great deal on a used Metro RV4. However I had never tried a Sadowsky in my life nor did I have the opportunity to play it before buying it....but I took the plunge.

Granted its the cheapest entry level Sadowsky but I love the pre amp and it just feel like a well constructed bit of kit. What I get out of it is vintage looks and a modern tone (and it works for me:) ) and right now I long for no other bass...actually thats a lie...I'm GASing all the time but thats not the point. Basically I am quietly impressed with it.

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1306148789' post='1241405']
However, THIS is the video that's telling me to stop being such an idiot and save up for the Will Lee model. Forget the playing, the tone is just great.

[/quote]

Blimey that sounds awsome. Never heard one of these basses before but it sounds amazing.

[quote name='Robert Manning' timestamp='1306880159' post='1252203']
why would you buy a fender rip off when you could buy a real fender?

;P
[/quote]

.....because they are better for the more modern sounds that a lot of players are after. For the more traditional Fender sound I agree a Fender is better

[quote name='dougal' timestamp='1306151270' post='1241487']

QUOTE (BB3000S @ May 23 2011, 12:42 PM)
Plenty of Sadowsky love here.

...and here...

[/quote]

I'm not one for fender type basses, but that is bloody gorgeous.
I even like the tort guard & I usually hate those.

• 4 months later...

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1318853331' post='1406819']

I'm not one for fender type basses, but that is bloody gorgeous.
I even like the tort guard & I usually hate those.
[/quote]

It is and I think he has a great eye for styling... up there with the very best, IMO.
That wouldn't be my issue... and I'd be interested in a NYC at the right price for me. I could also say that about other makers as well, tho.

If there are a few Sadowsky for sale here, then that is good as you could pick up a nice bass for decent money..
As to why they are selling..?? Well, I think there are people who will buy a 'cool' name .. as in the name may have some kudos here, and
then sell it if that name seems diminshed

Got a Sadowsky NYC but purchased it in the USA new at reasonable cost. They are truly a beautiful. One of the selling points of the NYC models is their weight. Very light indeed which suits my needs. This side if the pond these basses are really expensive due to tax and duty regulations and this effects their popularity. As for Fender, IMO serious quality control issues persist and customer support is not what it should be. These are not issues when you buy Sadowsky NYC

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1306148789' post='1241405']
However, THIS is the video that's telling me to stop being such an idiot and save up for the Will Lee model. Forget the playing, the tone is just great.

[/quote]

Weird. That's the tone that I can't stand that so many people seem to want, the tone I'm trying to get as far away from as possible. To me it sounds like really stiff strings banging against wood amplified through a tweeter and nothing else. Ah well, each to their own I guess!

[quote name='4000' timestamp='1330872451' post='1564117']
Weird. That's the tone that I can't stand that so many people seem to want, the tone I'm trying to get as far away from as possible. To me it sounds like really stiff strings banging against wood amplified through a tweeter and nothing else. Ah well, each to their own I guess!
[/quote]

It's not that I necessarily liked the sound of the Will Lee in the video that I posted up, but rather I can see the potential in it. People do seem to jump on that kind of sound or see it as somehow desirable though (usually without thinking about what it's going to sound like in a mix - it's probably going to get lost if it sounds like that). Generally though I think I can be a good judge of hearing a bass and knowing if its going to work for me or not. Something about the Will Lee model grabbed me, but I suppose I can't be certain whether its the right bass for me as I'm yet to try one out properly.

[quote name='leroydiamond' timestamp='1330870736' post='1564088']
Got a Sadowsky NYC but purchased it in the USA new at reasonable cost. They are truly a beautiful. One of the selling points of the NYC models is their weight. Very light indeed which suits my needs. This side if the pond these basses are really expensive due to tax and duty regulations and this effects their popularity. As for Fender, IMO serious quality control issues persist and customer support is not what it should be. These are not issues when you buy Sadowsky NYC
[/quote]

I played three Sadowsky's this week and off the shelf, none of them struck me as particularly heavy at all. The basses that consistently strike me as the weightiest are always Ernie Balls. I don't think the weight of an instrument will ever bother me until I get a bit older but man, Stingrays can be heavy.