Why become a member? ×

Geddy Lee Fender Jazz sig appreciation thread!

Chest Rockwell

I did a search and couldnt find a specific thread, so Im starting one. Just curious to know how many other people use these as their main bass?

I've never gone higher in value than this bass, and i've never really tried anything other than Fenders and my 80's Aria ProII... but I am just in love with this bass, so I had to share!!!! :)

the neck is smooth as hell, it's like it's not even there, and my clunky unskilled hands roll around it like butter. okay i dont know what im doing, but it's fun trying! my fingers are even landing on notes that sound right on occasion!

I once again took my Fender USA Highway One P to practice last week and it has nothing on the BOOM of the Geddy. it's just TWICE as bass! :)

okay we're tuned to drop B, and the B is 115 gauge, but it's still just awesome.

anyways, wondered how other owners are getting on with em? if you can hear any bass in the tunes below, that's the mighty Geddy :lol:

Used to be my main gigging bass then I ordered a Warmoth as a backup but turned out even better ! Sadly don't use it now as I play 5 string .. but there are some pics here ..

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=134014&hl="]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=134014&hl=[/url]

It's been my main bass for over two years now!

I upgraded the tuner machines to black hipshot ultralites, replaced the Badass bridge for a black Badass II and replaced the pickups and installed Dimarzio Model Js...the bass sounds superb and the playability is awesome.

I'll post a pic asap.

The Gedster is my bass playing hero & I do love my Jazz, however it's not been without its problems.....

The tuners are very average - looking to upgrade them to Hipshot B-2's shortly.

The paintwork doesn't seem to be that durable - a few more minor dings than it should have for its limited use to date.

And then there's the neck - a shocker. Took my local guitar shop an age to adjust the truss rod as it was very stiff even though it wasn't fully tightened if you get my drift, EVERY fret end was sharp - now all very carefully filed back by me, & the D & G strings choke at the 15th fret which my local shop forget to address last time it was in, so it's going in there again.

I bought this new in 2006 & won't bore you with the details of why I am just getting this bass sorted now. I bought it from The Bass Centre by mail order & it's the last thing i bought or will buy from there!!

Thing is, it does sound bloody good though...........

hmmm! i did find the neck/frets a little sharp though I assumed it's cos i play it fairly low. I'm used to it now though. Im curious about your dissatisfaction with the tuners? you mean they're not tight? I do have a mild issue with it going out of tune, not horrifically so, but it tends to tune... UP! most basses I would imagine tune down as the tuners loosen but this one seems to be the other way :) I can only out it down to the neck moving because I dont tickle it and the fact that the strings on it are such high guage... It's never caused me major annoyance, but I would like to get em set so that they stay in, no matter how hard I play it. the intonation's fine (in tune at least?!) so I assume the neck is okay too. if there are corrections I could make to it, that Im not picking up on, I'd like to hear em. I guess im a bit of a workmanlike player and the jazz suits me due to the fast neck and the tone. I feel like Im cheating on it just suggesting it might need a tweaking! :)

here's an 'action' shot, in a moment of calm. notice that thumb firmly rooted :lol:

[quote name='Wilco' post='1242368' date='May 23 2011, 10:15 PM']The Gedster is my bass playing hero & I do love my Jazz, however it's not been without its problems.....

The tuners are very average - looking to upgrade them to Hipshot B-2's shortly.

The paintwork doesn't seem to be that durable - a few more minor dings than it should have for its limited use to date.

And then there's the neck - a shocker. Took my local guitar shop an age to adjust the truss rod as it was very stiff even though it wasn't fully tightened if you get my drift, EVERY fret end was sharp - now all very carefully filed back by me, & the D & G strings choke at the 15th fret which my local shop forget to address last time it was in, so it's going in there again.

I bought this new in 2006 & won't bore you with the details of why I am just getting this bass sorted now. I bought it from The Bass Centre by mail order & it's the last thing i bought or will buy from there!!

Thing is, it does sound bloody good though...........[/quote]

I might have been lucky because I have no problems at all with the neck on mine, frets are fine, no sharp ends, it plays beautifully, action as low as you want to go with no fretbuzz.
Trus rod works well too, I have mine tightened so there's just a tiny bit of neck relief.

I bought one in Jan this year just as they went up in price but managed to get it at last years price. I must say the quality is exceptional in all ways, neck is fantastic, binding perfect (early ones were painted, blocks too :) ), frets etc etc perfect and the paint!! wow. I did hear that they upped the quality control in the last couple of years and gave it new tuners (Schallers?), gig bag is revamped too, more padding than a sofa. Oh and CTS pot's.

[quote name='Chest Rockwell' post='1242388' date='May 23 2011, 10:26 PM']hmmm! i did find the neck/frets a little sharp though I assumed it's cos i play it fairly low. I'm used to it now though. Im curious about your dissatisfaction with the tuners? you mean they're not tight? I do have a mild issue with it going out of tune, not horrifically so, but it tends to tune... UP! most basses I would imagine tune down as the tuners loosen but this one seems to be the other way :) I can only out it down to the neck moving because I dont tickle it and the fact that the strings on it are such high guage... It's never caused me major annoyance, but I would like to get em set so that they stay in, no matter how hard I play it. the intonation's fine (in tune at least?!) so I assume the neck is okay too. if there are corrections I could make to it, that Im not picking up on, I'd like to hear em. I guess im a bit of a workmanlike player and the jazz suits me due to the fast neck and the tone. I feel like Im cheating on it just suggesting it might need a tweaking! :)

here's an 'action' shot, in a moment of calm. notice that thumb firmly rooted :lol:

[/quote]

The poor tuners is a relatively well known issue with this model. Guess the fact you are having some tuning issues backs that up a bit. With most people it's just the fact that they don't have a smooth consistant turn on them. A reply above indicates they may have upgraded the tuners in the last couple of years - certainly the price has shot up since I bought mine (2006)!!

I don't think the CTS pots are a recent upgrade though as mine has those in. Mine also has a budget capacitor in (an ic 503Z). These are +/-80% tolerence - fortunately on my Ged Jazz it works ok. There was one of these on my MIM Jazz but it was next to useless, so that's been replaced today (and there are CTS pots in that bass too).

Edited by Wilco

As of this evening I am the proud owner of a new Japanese Geddy Lee JB. Truly average shop setup quickly tweaked and the neck is sublime, thin and fast, very low action with no buzz; I thought my Stingray was good! Finish quality is excellent. Let's see if it drifts. Not played very loud yet but it feels 'All There', will get a better work out at tomoz practice.

(Apologies for the spindly six string content)

I would like to say though that the access to the truss rod adjustment under the scratchplate in this day and age with an instrument of this price is stupid stupid stupid. What were they thinking?

Edited by Al Heeley

Another action shot . . .

I've had mine since 2005. It's my main bass and a lot of fun to play. It's especially suited to people like me with short fingers because of the thin neck profile.

I haven't had any tuner problems at all, it keeps good tune in its gig bag. I'm just about to fit a Hipshot BT2 D-tuner to it so I might notice a difference.

Only problem has been the pickups are a bit prone to picking up 50Hz mains interference, so next time it goes for a setup will get the body cavity lined with copper foil and everything earthed. It's not apparent in normal use but if you ramp up the Sansamp gain, it shows there.

[attachment=81056:RWgigphoto2.jpg]

One gripe I cannot fathom is Fender's anal 'Lets-Hide-The-Truss-Rod' game. Its a super slim neck and it's possibly prone to needing a bit of tweaking, so why bury the truss rod adjustment under the pickguard, just to stay true to 70's J-bass styling? I find this entirely annoying. OK its not a massive job to remove pickguard and carefully insert flat-bladed screwdriver in, but getting enough torque to tweak it is not particularly easy. It would have been so much more sensible to leave the truss rod adjustment at the headstock end.
Having griped about that, I'm really impressed with the slim neck and punchy pups, though I am also getting a bit of mains buzz in the practice room. This is usually down to ring mains lighting with dimmers, they create a racket if the wiring is not isolated.

I used to have two of these. Never had any tuning issues, although the tuners on one seemed slightly more robust than on the other. Took me three months to get the neck stable and setup in a way that satisfied the person I sold one to. I kept the other and I have to say I wanted to get the neck a little straighter than it was, but the truss rod didn't want to give any more assistance with this. However I've recently started playing a tone lower with one of my bands and the bass has just settled down nicely. It always sounded great although not as warm as my main 4003, but the feel is rather good now too. My understanding was that the originals had proper blocks and the later ones have painted 'inlays'.

One of my action shots (photo by Carol White-Griffiths):

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='gafbass02' post='1250213' date='May 30 2011, 01:01 PM']dammit! now i miss mine!!
[/quote]

Thought I would chip in too :)

I am the proud owner of a sunburst GL Jazz which I have owned for over a year. I have swapped the black pickguard for a tort one and replaced the stock pups with Fender Custom shop pups which sound even better.

At the mo I have got D'Addario Chromes on and to be honest I dont really like them.

Any recommendations from any Geddy owners on their preferred string for this bass. I am thinking about a set of rounds or nickel rounds.

Will have pics soon.

Thanks

Deak

[quote name='deaky' post='1267598' date='Jun 13 2011, 05:44 PM']Any recommendations from any Geddy owners on their preferred string for this bass. I am thinking about a set of rounds or nickel rounds.[/quote]

I don't own a Geddy, so feel free to ignore what I am about to say! I have just purchased a set of DR Lo-riders, expecting (in all honesty) to be disappointed. Nothing of the sort! They make even my Squier P bass come to life in a way that I wouldn't have dared imagine... Zingy - yes. I expected zing. I love zing. But the deep richness of tone was something I have never experienced in all my years of using Rotosound, D'addario and Elites.

They are quite pricey admittedly, but they last and last if I am to believe what I read.

Give them a try!

[quote name='Conan' post='1267623' date='Jun 13 2011, 06:07 PM']I don't own a Geddy, so feel free to ignore what I am about to say! I have just purchased a set of DR Lo-riders, expecting (in all honesty) to be disappointed. Nothing of the sort! They make even my Squier P bass come to life in a way that I wouldn't have dared imagine... Zingy - yes. I expected zing. I love zing. But the deep richness of tone was something I have never experienced in all my years of using Rotosound, D'addario and Elites.

They are quite pricey admittedly, but they last and last if I am to believe what I read.

Give them a try![/quote]

Hi Conan

How are you mate?

Thanks for your suggestion. I have DR low riders on my precision and I agree they sound great.
I am a big LaBella fan so I have just ordered a set of Hard Rockin Steels for it. :)

Fancy coming back for the Ashdown 8x10 :)

All the best

Stuart

I had a GL a couple of years back. Love the bass, but sold it as I bought a 4003, and needed the extra cash.

Must say I loved mine. Played it in a loud 5-piece, and it always cut right through.

Reading this thread is giving off dangerous GAS for another!

But that price - about £850 now - £200 up on a couple of years ago!!!

Other concern is that is it really worth the massive odds over a MIM Classic 60's/70's bass?? Just worry that a lot of the extra cash goes towards Geddy's signature on the back!