Why become a member? ×

Warwick 'Dark Lord' Bass strings review

Dood

Well it has been a long time coming but I have finally received a new set of custom bass nuts to fit these new MONSTER strings!!! Jon (Shuker) kindly cut a set, so I could drop the new gauge strings straight on my bass without any additional fiddling.

I first and foremost must thank Dean from the Bass Centre for hooking me up with Rob Norton, the Vice President of Warwick UK. We spoke by telephone initially and I met with him and Dean at the London Guitar Show this year. Rob very kindly offered to help me out with my 'string issues' and I have a lovely set of these strings to thrash the pants off and give you a review.

Warwick are the only mainstream manufacturer to offer a serious solution for those of us who want to seriously drop tune. More and more bands, especially metal.. but, other genres are demanding a wider selection of strings to create new and exciting sounds.

I have been using the heaviest gauge custom made F# string I could find for the last few months or so.. unfortunately only being a 145 gauge for my bottom string. This, is normally just a heavy B string. It works, but still a wee bit floppy.

Enter Warwick! The gauntlet was thrown down and they have met the challenge with the Warwick Dark Lord bass string set.

The 4 string bass set is gauges 175, 135, 105, 85:-

Nothing really unusual on the outside of the box.. but it's the beast within that had me giggling like a school girl when I first opened the box.

So what do they sound like? Well as you know, I sold both of my Bass cabs recently and will be looking to purchase a new pair soon. So, the neighbours got off very lightly this evening. I demo'd the new strings through my li'l studio and straight into a set of earphones, to really get close to the sound.

I can describe them but I'd urge you to try Warwick strings yourself. I know they have a really good reputation amongst users here on this forum and would expect that you guys would feel the same if you tried them.

They aren't 'pingy' (if thats a good word) like D'addario or NewTone for example. The fundamental tone is deeper and full of harmonics, instead of just zing. This appears to work extremely well with my EMG DC pups. The overall effect being a biting tone and a fairly gutteral resonance. Needless to say I am pretty impressed, as you can imagine.
The F# string is massive in comparison to my 'usual' strings. I don't think the pictures above really do the beast justice!

I did like the fact that when I am dropping below B, the notes didnt just turn into a moosh, but I'd also add that you need to exercise a little bit of restraint if (like me) your action is pretty low. This string needs to move!!

As far as I know, at the moment very few people (if any actually) have the Dark Lord strings yet, so I do feel a little bit chuffed that I have got a chance to give them a play so soon after their release.

Tacked onto the bottom of this review, Jon Shuker has also sent me a set of the Gotoh Res-O-Lite 350 tuning keys for my SHuker 7 string. I'd just like to say that they make a massive difference to the weight of the bass, as the headstock is no longer pulling down on my shoulder. so, a BIG thanks to Jon as well.

Give these strings a go.. I don't think they are a novelty.. and lets face it.. Us ERBers do need help with sourcing strings in the UK!

Cheers all,

Dood

Heh heh! yes.. have you seen the size of my bass?!!!!!

Unfortunately the review set was only a 4 string set.. but I can order a custom set to fit later. The other strings are NewTone ones at the moment.

A 110 'E' string gives me the frights. The 175 doesn't look like it would move if I jumped on it.

Remember to PM me if you're taking that bass out in public so I can have a look. Cheers Dood :)

Quick Edit: Just thought I should add that I don't intend to jump on your bass to prove my initial point :huh:

Edited by peted

[quote name='MacDaddy' post='2359' date='May 19 2007, 06:47 PM']is this when you were fitting the tuning keys?

[/quote]

LOL!!!! Thats awesome! Yes! I'm glad that the truss rod doesnt need a tweak. I couldnt hold the spanner and balance on the strings at the same time ! ;o)

[quote name='nottswarwick' post='2400' date='May 19 2007, 07:39 PM']how have have you mananged to tweak your post count dood? :) :huh:[/quote]

t'wasn't me your honour.. some li'l monkee did it!!! lol .. OK!! I admit it. I am a geek!! I spend too much time on my bass.. too much time here!! lol - well.. Bass is ma life!

[quote name='peted' post='2401' date='May 19 2007, 07:40 PM']A 110 'E' string gives me the frights. The 175 doesn't look like it would move if I jumped on it.

Remember to PM me if you're taking that bass out in public so I can have a look. Cheers Dood :huh:

Quick Edit: Just thought I should add that I don't intend to jump on your bass to prove my initial point :huh:[/quote]

Hey dude! The 175 is a very taught string in comparison to using a 145 as an F#. It has a certain WOOF to the tone. Not the clanky 'drop D tuning' type sound. (Which is lovely) but a more 'standard tuned' sound, if you get me?

I will certainly tell you when she's going out to play. We have no gigs until September.. I'll keep ya posted!

[quote name='dood' post='918' date='May 17 2007, 11:42 PM'][/quote]Do my eyes deceive me, or is that string really 5mm thick..??? :)

[size=1]Oh, and if you're getting a string deal from Warwick, put in a good word for me eh? :huh:[/size]

[quote name='dood' post='906' date='May 18 2007, 12:28 AM']I don't think they are a novelty.. and lets face it.. Us ERBers do need help with sourcing strings in the UK![/quote]

I understand they have been introduced earlier this year together with the instrument of the same name. I have also been trying newly introduced Warwick Black .015w as well as .020w in January. Well, in short, they were as good as expected of Warwick Black.

Another company that now offers strings from .017p to .170 is Pyramid. I had them also make a handfull of custom .012p at ok conditions. Of course, sound-wise that's a different world.

Many ERBers seem to use La Bella or SIT, but my dealers of trust had difficulties with their distributors. Guess if you're an endorser and directly negotiate with their US representatives that will work out considerably better.

Edited by Bushmaster

[quote name='Alpha-Dave' post='5430' date='May 23 2007, 10:41 PM']Erm, 0.175 inches is 4.44 mm :)[/quote]

Cheers Dave, I was on my way to getting the calculator out! he he he!!

• 2 weeks later...

That 1.75 looks monstrous, you could probably tow a car with that.
Warwick recently sent me two packs of the new "EMP" strings so i chucked one set on, and although they sound superb and (seemingly) last well, i just don't like them that much. They feel a bit too rough for my babysoft fingers (like Elites do) and i'm used to smoother strings (usually Elixirs.)
But they do sound the monkeys chuff, and the harmonics ring FOREVER. Today i plucked two harmonics, and then made a cup of tea. And yes you could still just-about hear them during the first sip.

Hey Jase, I agree with that completely. They are a little rough on the pinkies, but the harmonic content is definitely stronger than other brands I have tried.

p.s. I love the B3ta.org avatar!!

I was surprised to see that people here actually like Warwick strings...

it all comes down to taste I guess, but I've always had a huge dislike for Warwick strings...

the only good thing about them for me is their cost (usually, I see... lol)

Usually I find them to be really rough on the fingers, they go dead really fast, and they have no flexibility whatsoever.

I usually use Ernieballs, Rotosounds or D'Addario Prosteels depending on the bass.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Aussiephoenix' post='14094' date='Jun 8 2007, 12:38 PM']I was surprised to see that people here actually like Warwick strings...[/quote]

Actually, now it's my turn to be surprised. Oh well, the reciprocity principle :)

[quote]the only good thing about them for me is their cost (usually, I see... lol)[/quote]

Hmm... well, AFAIK many folks play Red or Yellow Label just b/c they're cheap. Black Label or EMP Coasted, however, probably are not quite as inespensive.

[quote]Usually I find them to be really rough on the fingers, they go dead really fast, and they have no flexibility whatsoever.[/quote]

Indeed many do complain about the finish, even with the coated variety. I for one can live with it.

Black Label besides Thomastik-Infeld Powerbass probably ranges amongst the non-coated roundwounds that lasted longest IIRC. It is hard to nonsensical to make generalizing statements about that, though, b/c there's probably nothing that could effectively be of help to people w/ really agressive hand sweat a/o people who play very hard, thereby excercising heavy mechanic stress.

I'm not sure about flexibility. On many basses they probably will sound too aggressive. They're great for basses that need brillant strings, though. That even is including Warwick fretless basses!!

[quote]I usually use Ernieballs, Rotosounds or D'Addario Prosteels depending on the bass.[/quote]

I've been using the former 2 a lot in the 70s to early 80s as they were amongst the brightest strings available back then. What I didn't like was that EB sets weren't balanced, and they sounded a bit bass-shy. RS had a miserable quality control, so I regularly pulled factory-fresh dead strings right out of newly opened packages. Also as great as they sounded the first few days, they started dying way too soon. RS in extremely light gauges also produced annoyingly inorganic harmonics. BTW, their finish is quite rough, too...

The latter is the continuation of DA's XLS/Prism lineage which along with the discontinued Reds were the most brillant and technically best strings that became available in the early 80s. I'm still using these a lot. They also indeed have a very much more pleasurable finish.

[quote name='finnbass' post='4698' date='May 22 2007, 09:34 PM']At £60 for a set of four....there probably wont be many people smashing their piggy bank

[url="http://www.gear4music.com/Warwick_Black_Label_StringsDark_Lord.html?gad=COO_5foBEgjUTSM1_6-iXBi0mZL_AyDfv5AR"]http://www.gear4music.com/Warwick_Black_La...Bi0mZL_AyDfv5AR[/url][/quote]

'course you can allways sell them as scrap metal in the future :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Yes, obviously with such a big string and a dangerously low action, there's more rattle than that of a B string.. but to be honest, it's not that noticeable. the 175 gauge helps with the whole tension issue at such a low tuning.. and is quite 'playable'.

I won't be up north for a while.. but my new band*, I'm sure, if all goes well will have an opportunity to travel a bit.. I'm hoping so anyway!

* still in it's infancy, so no website etc yet.

Oh, and against popular belief, these strings are actually really easy to get hold of. I have a batch on their way now ;o)