Why become a member? ×

I want a Fender!!!

Evil Undead

Fenders are the wick. They look great, sound like you want them to and can be used for pretty much every single musical application you can think of. Funk, Jazz, Reggae, Metal, Rock etc etc. They will do everything and you won't look or feel like a prat. I think it's having the subconscious knowledge that you can use a Fender to it's potential every time.
Personally, I'd feel weird taking a Thumb or a Corvette to a Jazz gig. In my brain it'd just feel wrong and I reckon I'd be really conscious of what I'm playing and it wouldnt feel natural. With a Fender, no problem!

Truckstop

[quote name='flyfisher' post='1239072' date='May 21 2011, 10:30 AM']My bet is that no one can reliably tell what sort of bass gear is used on a recording because playing technique and gear set-up is the most important factor. After that it's just a fashion show.

So people only really need to decide if they're more worried about their image or their playing skills.

This sort of debate is reminiscent of the 'Canon or Nikon' debates on photo forums when the reality is that it's completely irrelevant and neither will make or break a photographer. The important thing is to learn the craft of taking good photos. Same with bass playing. What's that old saying about poor workmen always blaming their tools?[/quote]

Whilst I see your point, I don't do any recording and it's just for gigs. I'm sure you agree that one has to both sound good and look the part on stage, otherwise ya don't get booked again :)

I'm certainly not blaming my tools for my lack of skills as a bass player! That one's all on me...

What you really want is an Ibanez Blazer. :)

Personally, I've had Squiers of various descriptions from humble Affinities to the mighty and overrated JVs, MIMs, a MIA (the most disappointing of them all), MIJs, CIJs and so on and they were all disappointing in that I could not get what I believed to be the precision tone I've heard on so many recordings and live performances.

So that just left copies to try and when this one came up on the forum I had to have it. Sounds completely different to my Thunderbird which was what I wanted and it gives me what I feel is the 'true' precision tone

[quote name='Evil Undead' post='1239145' date='May 21 2011, 11:25 AM']Whilst I see your point, I don't do any recording and it's just for gigs. I'm sure you agree that one has to both sound good and look the part on stage, otherwise ya don't get booked again :)

I'm certainly not blaming my tools for my lack of skills as a bass player! That one's all on me...[/quote]

Fair point about looking the part - I guess Gene Simmons' image would suffer if he used a P.
Mind you, I'd draw the line at copying his car :)

But a P-bass is a pretty safe choice for all sorts of reasons; it has a proven pedigree and (decently set up of course) is guaranteed to deliver and will 'out-perform' anyone starting out, it won't get laughed off the stage (notwithstanding the above observation) and it'll hold its value.

They're pretty much the reasons I bought mine a couple of decades ago. My only disappointment is that it's still out-performing my playing ability . . . but I'm working on it. :lol:

[quote name='tauzero' post='1238911' date='May 21 2011, 01:59 AM']If I got one now, I would be dreadfully disappointed.[/quote]
How so?

[quote name='Hodgefunk' post='1239219' date='May 21 2011, 12:13 PM']Those Squier CV P basses are great for the money! Cheap and tasty :)[/quote]

Before I got the Fender I borrowed my mates Squier Jazz Bass and it played really nice. He had it set up just right for my playing style and it cost a mere £180.

If you need a bass right now, you could do worse than getting a Squier IMO as a stop gap until you have the funds to upgrade to a Fender.

[quote name='flyfisher' post='1239191' date='May 21 2011, 11:59 AM']Fair point about looking the part - I guess Gene Simmons' image would suffer if he used a P.
Mind you, I'd draw the line at copying his car :)

But a P-bass is a pretty safe choice for all sorts of reasons; it has a proven pedigree and (decently set up of course) is guaranteed to deliver and will 'out-perform' anyone starting out, it won't get laughed off the stage (notwithstanding the above observation) and it'll hold its value.

They're pretty much the reasons I bought mine a couple of decades ago. My only disappointment is that it's still out-performing my playing ability . . . but I'm working on it. :)[/quote]

Woah, that car... I don't think I would want to drive that about!

As well as the tone and the looks, they feel so different to my Warwick. I mean, I adore my 'Wick, but it's like a favourite food... I love chow mein, but I wouldn't wanna eat it every day if you know what I mean?!

[quote name='JayPH' post='1239234' date='May 21 2011, 12:26 PM']If you need a bass right now, you could do worse than getting a Squier IMO as a stop gap until you have the funds to upgrade to a Fender.[/quote]

Well.... technically I don't need a bass right now. But for a good few weeks now, I have been lusting after one of the Matt Freeman signature Squiers (the vintage white one).

I've been trying to build a look-a-like of that from parts, but no amount of looking nice is ever going to make it play as well as the Squier. Although it certainly isn't a bad bass, it's definitely not the quality of the Squier.

to label boutique basses as middy and honky is silly as they're just as diverse in sounds as any other bass, just as saying all precisions just sound thump thump thump!,and there are passive boutique basses as well as active.

[quote name='Truckstop' post='1239078' date='May 21 2011, 10:36 AM']Fenders are the wick. They look great, sound like you want them to and can be used for pretty much every single musical application you can think of. Funk, Jazz, Reggae, Metal, Rock etc etc.[/quote]

Fishbone's music features all of those elements.

At the end of the day only you know what you want from a bass.

For me a stingray looks great, plays great and more importantly sounds great.
A Fender jazz looks great, but for ne isn't comfortable and the sound I dislike.
P's; well I think they look cheap and nasty and sound cheap and nasty.

Personal opinion please don't start flaming me guys :)

However I am hypocritical, as I would love to own a "great" fender jazz and precision just haven't found one yet.
Where as rays do it for me 9 times out of 10.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' post='1239866' date='May 22 2011, 12:45 AM']At the end of the day only you know what you want from a bass.

For me a stingray looks great, plays great and more importantly sounds great.
A Fender jazz looks great, but for ne isn't comfortable and the sound I dislike.
P's; well I think they look cheap and nasty and sound cheap and nasty.

Personal opinion please don't start flaming me guys :)

However I am hypocritical, as I would love to own a "great" fender jazz and precision just haven't found one yet.
Where as rays do it for me 9 times out of 10.[/quote]

I don't think anyone should be 'flamed' for having an opinion on what they prefer! I like Stingrays but have always been hesitant to buy one as I don't think they sit particularly well in a mix. For me it's more of a case that they sound great by themselves, really ballsy and aggressive, but not necessarily what I'd look for to sit comfortably in the bottom of a track because I don't think they do this well. Just my opinion of course.

Also, whilst I love Fenders (and own one), I've also found that companies like Lakland do Fender a lot better. My Darryl Jones 4 blows most Fender Jazz's I've played out of the water. But I still wouldn't hesitate to order a custom shop Fender or buy a vintage one if I had the money because I just love 'em.

I agree with your first point.
I guess that's why I like them... Maybe it's my treble guitar heritage, but for the music I play and the sound our band has it's great, you are supposed to hear as a separate interty but also hold in the low end.

Can't comment on point 2. Not tried hardly any jazz types and P types other than cheapo bargain ones.

[quote name='risingson' post='1239870' date='May 22 2011, 12:53 AM']I don't think anyone should be 'flamed' for having an opinion on what they prefer! I like Stingrays but have always been hesitant to buy one as I don't think they sit particularly well in a mix. For me it's more of a case that they sound great by themselves, really ballsy and aggressive, but not necessarily what I'd look for to sit comfortably in the bottom of a track because I don't think they do this well. Just my opinion of course.[/quote]

It always amazes me when I see this and then how often we see a thread starting out " I have owned many basses over the years and always loved the look of stingrays but never owned one, last night I lent one at a jam night and oh my god it cut through the mix so well yet later in the set after a quick and simple adjustment of the EQ it was sitting below the mix all fat and punchy, I can't even imagine how good it would of sounded with flats on! :)"

Think disco and how well Rays sit in the mix. Think rock, punk, indie, blues they work everytime just like a p or jazz but better :)

Get one of everything that's the best bet IMO :lol:

[quote name='wizbat' post='1239310' date='May 21 2011, 01:48 PM']to label boutique basses as middy and honky is silly as they're just as diverse in sounds as any other bass, just as saying all precisions just sound thump thump thump!,and there are passive boutique basses as well as active.[/quote]
Well.....I don't get out much, and I can only form an opinion from the sound bites and youtube offerings I see regularly on here. Even the Wife has begun saying "Another posh Bass? It sounds the same as the last one. Get another Fender, Pet" if I am playing the clips through the big speakers, so I must be listening to lots of people who prefer 'that' sound. :)

I can't understand why, when a thread starts "I want a Fender", why so many folk can only reply by trying justify their own (non Fender) tastes and basses.

If you really want a Fender and can raise the cash, I can't see a problem.

Apart from the huge choice available :)

[quote name='grayn' post='1240049' date='May 22 2011, 09:48 AM']I can't understand why, when a thread starts "I want a Fender", why so many folk can only reply by trying justify their own (non Fender) tastes and basses.

If you really want a Fender and can raise the cash, I can't see a problem.

Apart from the huge choice available :)[/quote]
How is suggesting all three a non Fender taste our idea is still 66.66666% Fender based.

Also the thread is presumably created by the OP so people can give opinions and findings on them which the OP may find valid after others owning a Fender actually found something that works better for them and have given their reasons, If the OP was dead set 110% on buying one no matter what anyone else said we wouldnt need a thread in the first place would we?

[quote name='grayn' post='1240049' date='May 22 2011, 09:48 AM']I can't understand why, when a thread starts "I want a Fender", why so many folk can only reply by trying justify their own (non Fender) tastes and basses.[/quote]
I can't understand why if somebody has decided they want a Fender & absolutely nothing else will do why they have to start yet another f***ing thread about it.

Just make sure you try before you buy. I'm not a Fender fan but I always try them out when in music shops and I find a lot of them badly set up and there just doesn't seem to be any 'mojo' in them for me.

Contrary to this - the best bass I've ever played was probably a 2nd hand Fender precision in Dolphin Liverpool about 3 years ago - 1971 model IIRC. It really was just beautiful to play - if I had two and a half grand I would have walked out the shop with it.

I agree with their fans on here who say you need to try loads and you will find the right one.

[quote name='RhysP' post='1240128' date='May 22 2011, 11:01 AM']I can't understand why if somebody has decided they want a Fender & absolutely nothing else will do why they have to start yet another f***ing thread about it.[/quote]

Because it's a forum... you know, to discuss stuff. You don't have to read it.

I started the thread to get opinions, and although I had pretty much decided I want a Fender, if 90% of people had said "don't get a Fender" I probably would have rethought my decision.

No need to be quite such a jerk about it.

Edited by Evil Undead

[quote name='Evil Undead' post='1240159' date='May 22 2011, 11:27 AM']Because it's a forum... you know, to discuss stuff. You don't have to read it.

I started the thread to get opinions, and although I had pretty much decided I want a Fender, if 90% of people had said "don't get a Fender" I probably would have rethought my decision.

No need to be quite such a jerk about it.[/quote]
Thats what I thought :)

There is something nice about owning a pukka Fender, My only guitar now is a USA Standard Strat its classic black and white with a rosewood board its the P bass of the guitar world as it could be seen and heard in any band situation.