Why become a member? ×

Different Bass Last Minute

Pete Academy

Following on from the thread about Victor Wooten having to borrow a bass at last minute, how would you cope if a similar situation happened to you?

What if your set mainly involved a 5-string and only a 4-string was available? Or you were used to a 4 and had to borrow a 5?

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='1238523' date='May 20 2011, 06:23 PM']Following on from the thread about Victor Wooten having to borrow a bass at last minute, how would you cope if a similar situation happened to you?

What if your set mainly involved a 5-string and only a 4-string was available? Or you were used to a 4 and had to borrow a 5?[/quote]

Has anyone ever been in this situation before?

Yep happened to me, we did a wine festival in Switzerland a few years back, Brass players took their instruments and the rhythm section got agreement to use the local bands kit. I was using a 5 string Schack bass as my main instrument at the time, and got word that the bass player in the Swiss band had a Fender jazz, so at least knew what I was going to get. We did three gigs over the weekend, and fumbled a couple of times forgetting how many strings I had. He was a really nice guy and on chatting after the last gig he asked me what bass I played, and it turned out he had a 5 string Schack at home he could have brought along. What were the chances of that? :)

Left my bass at home once. THe guitarist lived nearby and I borrowed his Hohner jazz bass. Strap fell off the peg at the bridge end during the opening number. To hold up the bass I liften my right thigh to rest the body on (now resembling Ian Anderson from Jethro tull). Stood there hopping around on one leg for as long as possible, while trying to sing into the mic :)

The crowd were laughing from the word go :) got them on our side for the rest of the night

[quote name='Blademan_98' post='1238561' date='May 20 2011, 06:53 PM']I would probably struggle, especially if the bass had those metal things on it :)[/quote]
You mean the "spacers" ? :)

I'd feel the same, a bit, but find a different neck profile to be the biggest throw. I'm so used to the SB neck that anything else just feels wrong - it takes me a week to acclimatise to the jazz profile on my explorer.

I'd accept a five string only if the bandleader was happy with everything being a IVth out.

P.

On holiday in Madeira I was watching a jazz trio and admiring the guys Tobias 5er. I was a bit pissed and they asked if I wanted to play a blues, so I duly obliged, playing a fourth lower than the key they were in...
They must have thought I was a proper gimp, which was a shame as they were nice guys.

[quote name='Blademan_98' post='1238561' date='May 20 2011, 06:53 PM']I would probably struggle, especially if the bass had those metal things on it :)[/quote]

ah, you mean the spacers? yeah, they slow you down, don't they? :)

One of our guitarists often tells the tale of his old band whose bassist mistakenly borrowed a bass tuned to drop-D and only passed comment after playing the entire gig that he thought it sounded 'a bit odd' :)

a while back I auditioned for a band playing originals, a mix of rap/funk/blues...

a few weeks later they call me: I'm in.

They had been offered a 1h gig two weeks later, would I be ok with it? I'll get a couple of rehearsals. I said yes. I can record everything and listen at home and work out what my basslines could be. It's not complicated stuff.

First rehearsal, at the leader's home. He says I don't need to bring anything. He can lend me an acoustic bass. he has no amp. We will all rehearse acoustic and without a drummer that time. Fine.

I show up and he hands me... a 5 string bass... fretless. :)

It was fun. :)

Next time I was in that situation I brought a small amp and my own bass, in the bus, as I didn't have a car then.

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='1238523' date='May 20 2011, 06:23 PM']....Following on from the thread about Victor Wooten having to borrow a bass at last minute, how would you cope if a similar situation happened to you?....[/quote]
Happened to me on the first recording session I did. My amp blew up and the producer suggested I complete the session on the double bass that was standing in the corner! I had never touched a DB before but the last number was a root/five country song and I just about managed to get to the end.

It also happened to Chris Dreja. I went to see The Yardbirds at the Crawdaddy club in Richmond and Dreja's P bass wasn't working. I suggested that he could use my bass. You should have seen the look on his face when I proudly walked back in with my Framus Star Bass! He did the gig with it and said thank you at the end but he didn't look impressed at all!!

I can sound crap on anything so it wouldn't worry me!
Seriously though, Doddy is right, a bit of a twiddle see what the knobs do, turn it up & go.
A 5'er would give me a long thin thumb rest & a fretless would mean I would sound a bit more "off" occasionally.
Cheers,
Norm.

[quote name='chris_b' post='1238922' date='May 21 2011, 03:07 AM']and Dreja's P bass wasn't working[/quote]

Did you check other stuff like gravity and daylight.. make sure it wasn't a complete outage? :)

Would have no problem with any 4 or 5 string, probably a few bum notes in the first song on a 6 string.

Had a quick go on a fanned fret Dingwall, reckon it might take a few hours to get used to that.

Unusual tunings would throw me completely though, never been able to get my head round them.

Edit: Forgot to mention that headless basses confuse me too, I seem to play everything about 4 frets further up than usual, I think my brain thinks the first 4 frets must be headstock :)

Edited by Fat Rich

It's never gonna happen.

I'm a lefty player so the chances of being able to borrow or play anyone else's bass are slim. I have to be completely self-sufficient, which is why I always take a back-up bass to a gig.

That's the main downside about playing lefty. If I went to something like a bass bash all I could do is ogle the wonderful (righty) basses...