Why become a member? ×

Guitar amp question

sk8

My main amp is an Ashdown Mag 300 combo but i have dabled in guitar and after selling my electric i'm left with a Hughes and Kettner 100 watt matrix guitar combo doing nothing. I was wondering whether i could intput the stereo output of my EHX Stereo Electric Mistress without major harm to my guitar amp?

[quote name='Machines' post='142411' date='Feb 18 2008, 12:56 PM']So bi-amping with your MAG basically ?

Personally I wouldn't do it - you're still sending a bass signal to the guitar amp which wasn't built to handle the lows (could easily rip the speaker cones at decent volumes).[/quote]
thats what i thought but wanted to check.

Thanks for the reply :)

• 1 month later...

Hi folks,

As I understand it, bi amping is a term generally used when you have two amps amplifying seperate frequencies and sending them to different speakers...

For example using a 300w amp for bass frequency with a 2 x 15" cab and then having a seperate lower wattage amp for mid range and or upper frequencies...

I think it is a carry over from HiFi and possibly PA applications?

With regard using your bass through your guitar amp: Perhaps their is already some bass roll off with the unit you're using being a modulation effect, although I have not tried the one you mention...

Also, the amp itself should roll off some of the bass frequencies due to the components used... If the amp is valve for example, the decoupling caps would limit bass response and the transformers in guitar amps tend to roll off at 100Hz or so or even higher for some (some boutique gear does use full bandwidth units though, but doubt the amp you mention does, although I am not familiar with it...

Many guitarists use guitar cabs, sometimes down tuned to B or A and heavily distorted, seemingly without problems, again many components in the chain will filter out the bass... If you are using as you say to get the idea of the stereo effect at home, then you should be ok as most people are severly limited in domestic situation to lower SPL's

:)

Tom Petersson of Cheap Trick ran a 2/3 way rig with his 12 string basses with a signal going to Hi-Watt guitar amps IIRC. I don't think he ran X-overs or anything like that it was just the full range signal but that is an easy option if you want to develop a signature sound. I do recall reading that one of his basses had different outputs for each pup that was meant to sense the different octave strings but TBH I also recall thinking that was a load of ball-cocks as I couldn't see how his pup could be tuned to only receive the high string octave sounds and not the low. Though I did wonder if it was just a guitar pup in a bass that was wound/filtered/tuned to roll off the bottom end!