Why become a member? ×

Will a double bass fit in my car?

jazzyvee

[quote name='lowlandtrees' timestamp='1469456823' post='3098421']
We were recently shopping about fr a new car and noticed that most/many new cars do not have folding passenger seats. Assume H&S stuff. We have a saloon (A3) and the neck of my DB has to slide between the front seats. I got some funny looks fro salesmen when the first question concerned my DB but lets face it ...it is the most important thing about a car ...assuming that it moves
[/quote]

I picked a 1 series over a 2 series because of the DB fitting issue. And the neck slides between the front seats as well, makes a comfortable enough armrest in the nice padded case :)

• 2 weeks later...

We regularly fit 3/4 size DBs into customer's BMWs. The 3 series saloon is the tightest we've found, but still possible.

The way to get a double bass into BMW saloon is as follows:

Pull the front passenger seat as far forward as it will go.

Wind the front passenger seat back down until it's level with the rear seat. You may want to remove the headrest.

Pull the driver's seat as far forward as possible to give you space to position the bass

Open the rear off side door and put the bass in scroll first towards the front passenger footwell.

Return the driver's seat to driving position.

The body of the bass should sit on the seat back and base of the front passenger seat without too much, if any, upward pressure on the neck/scroll.

Just watch the endpin on the back of the rear seat as you move the bass into position. You can also put the seat belt over the bass carefully, to keep it from sliding about.

With a 7 series the driver's seat bit may not be nessessary because of the cabin space vs a 3 series.

Good luck.

[quote name='Gareth Hughes' timestamp='1305894035' post='1238112']
Now that's just showing off Paul ;)
[/quote]
I actually took my bass with me when car shopping...and ended up with a golf. I can easily fit the bass in the back, along with a K&M stool, bag of stuff, PJB amp and still room for me and 2 passengers.

• 3 months later...

Heartened by my success at fitting my 3/4 DB in my Jaguar XK last June (see previous post), I was curious to see if said instrument would fit in our latest acquisition, a Citroen C3. I stress that this is not a C3 Picasso, but a normal one which is similar in size and shape to a large hiking boot. Why we need yet another car is beyond me, but then I long since recognised the futility of challenging female logic. This car is about half the length of the XK, so I wasn't hopeful. To my amazement it actually fits, not only that, but it will fit two ways; either from the front, scroll first through the passenger door with the passenger seat fully reclined and the body resting on the seat, or through the tailgate with the seat backs down (the squabs don't hinge up) and the front passenger headrest removed, again scroll first from the back of the car.
Perhaps there should be a National Databass (sorry) of cars into which you can fit a Double Bass....................

Hey, just sell the beemer. Not only will you get the bass in, people will let you pull out of side roads too !!! :¬)

But if bass bags says it will go ... it will. He ships more basses around than anyone I've ever met!

I reckon my next car will be a passat or octavia estate, purely to fit the bass in (plus bass stool, music stand, electric bass (or two), amp, guitar stand etc etc ) my wife's SAAB 9-3 hatch struggles with all that.

Edited by NickA

You have a point there NickA, I often wondered why so many drivers pull out of side roads in front of me at the last minute or cut me up after overtaking me, I thought these were just bad drivers but from what you say there is some hatred for us. :-( So If I get a double bass in the car they will ease up on me.... :-)

[quote name='NickA' timestamp='1480886894' post='3187903']
Hey, just sell the beemer. Not only will you get the bass in, people will let you pull out of side roads too !!! :¬)

But if bass bags says it will go ... it will. He ships more basses around than anyone I've ever met!

I reckon my next car will be a passat or octavia estate, purely to fit the bass in (plus bass stool, music stand, electric bass (or two), amp, guitar stand etc etc ) my wife's SAAB 9-3 hatch struggles with all that.
[/quote]

I've got a Skoda Superb estate and I can fit the DB in without it even poking between the front seats, slightly diagagonal, but plenty of room for all my other gear, stool, stand etc.

My Merc E-class estate will fit the bass, stool, amp, bag of stuff and electric bass in with the smaller section of the rear seat folded, so still room for 4 people. Top notch Harmann Kardon stereo too. Recently filled it with two basses, two cellos and a selection of violins and violas, plus a few boxes of sheet music and assorted bits. It's amazing how much you can get in a car when you have to!

[quote name='slapathy' timestamp='1480543108' post='3185356']
Heartened by my success at fitting my 3/4 DB in my Jaguar XK last June (see previous post), I was curious to see if said instrument would fit in our latest acquisition, a Citroen C3. I stress that this is not a C3 Picasso, but a normal one which is similar in size and shape to a large hiking boot. Why we need yet another car is beyond me, but then I long since recognised the futility of challenging female logic. This car is about half the length of the XK, so I wasn't hopeful. To my amazement it actually fits, not only that, but it will fit two ways; either from the front, scroll first through the passenger door with the passenger seat fully reclined and the body resting on the seat, or through the tailgate with the seat backs down (the squabs don't hinge up) and the front passenger headrest removed, again scroll first from the back of the car.
Perhaps there should be a National Databass (sorry) of cars into which you can fit a Double Bass....................
[/quote]

I have absolutely sworn to myself I'll snag an XK next year, and the DB question was a major stumbling block. My other half doesn't drive, so the XK would have to be the only car.

Now, if i can work out whether i can get two dustbins in the back (not necessarily as well as the DB), I'd be good to go. Where I live you have to drive your bins to the main road for collection.

No one has ever accused me of being practical. :)

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='bassace' timestamp='1482579161' post='3201528']
In my early days the bass went on the roof because cars were really small back then. I wish I had some pics.
[/quote]
Me too. In what would now be called a gig bag, then wrapped up in a waterproof tarpaulin and tied into the risk of my old man's car. It also had to carry a 4 piece band, instruments and a small PA system so space was a bit tight.

I used to know another bass player who carried his bass on the car roof. He would go to a gig, have a couple of pints (far more socially acceptable then than it is now), drive home. On at least one occasion he forgot the bass was there and drive into the garage.

Nice one, Pete. I had a little Standard 10 with a roof rack. One evening after a gig I took my girlfriend home. I can't remember why but perhaps I wanted a more comfortable car to 'say goodnight' to the girlfriend so on the way to her house I stopped off at home and swapped my car for my dad's zephyr. On the way back home after dropping off the girlfriend I was hit head on by a pissed army officer. I was hospitalised for a couple of weeks and all my mates wanted to know was if my bass was ok. Which, of course, it was.