Why become a member? ×

New Ashdown 'Little Giant' Heads

Machines

[quote name='whynot' post='147463' date='Feb 26 2008, 10:16 PM']This is what I was thinking. The Superfly 1000 is still going for around £500 but once these start to sell the price should fall sharply as with the 500.
Plus you get the compressor and presets with the Superfly.[/quote]

Totally different products though mate, Superfly digital pre amp, little giants pre amps aren't digital. Will sound quite different.

• 1 month later...

I am a bit confused here with amp ratings and ohms etc.

If I buy a 1 x 15 which has a Power Handling of 300 Watts @ 8 Ohms what sort of power am I going to get out of this Little Giant 350?? 350W or half??

If I buy 1 x 15 which has a Power Handling of 300 Watts @ 8 Ohms what sort of power am I going to get out of this Little Giant 1000?? 500W or half??

Will these amps work with a 1 x 15 which has a Power Handling of 300 Watts @ 8 Ohms??

Also, am I right in thinking that if I buy a 1 x15 which has a Power Handling of 300 Watts @ 8 Ohms, and I buy a 300 watt amp head, I am only going to get about 150 watts out of it as it will be running at 8 Ohms??

Sorry if a bit obvious, not bought an amp for about 10 years and everything has gone a bit fuzzy in my head :):)

Was talking with Chris May at Overwater the other day when they had just received a batch of the new EA micro thingies (which by the way are tiny). He had seen the Ashdowns in Frankfurt and apparently they look quite small face-on but are much longer / deeper than the EA and Markbass offerings. Not a mjor issue I guess, but size seems everything these days!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm miffed about the 2X500watt thing as well. It's gives the same problem as the superfly did. The whole point is a lightweight portable rig. This is from the Ashdown website:

"Just sling the amp over your shoulder, pick up a cabinet in one hand and your bass in the other – and you're on the way to the gig! "

Nice idea, but it doesn't really work if you have to carry two cabs to the gig.

[quote name='Burg' post='200264' date='May 16 2008, 11:01 AM']I'm miffed about the 2X500watt thing as well. It's gives the same problem as the superfly did. The whole point is a lightweight portable rig. This is from the Ashdown website:

"Just sling the amp over your shoulder, pick up a cabinet in one hand and your bass in the other – and you're on the way to the gig! "

Nice idea, but it doesn't really work if you have to carry two cabs to the gig.[/quote]
So rewire a 4x10 so it will run as a single 4x10 or two 2x10s. I've done something like this, only with a 2x10 cab that will run as 2x10 at 4 ohms or 2 1x10 at 8 ohms each.

[quote name='tauzero' post='204393' date='May 22 2008, 04:34 PM']So rewire a 4x10 so it will run as a single 4x10 or two 2x10s. I've done something like this, only with a 2x10 cab that will run as 2x10 at 4 ohms or 2 1x10 at 8 ohms each.[/quote]

Yup good idea, the superfly 48 cab does the same thing it has 2 x 4 ohm inputs, so full power into one little cab! So you can take one cab to the gig!

[quote name='tauzero' post='204393' date='May 22 2008, 04:34 PM']So rewire a 4x10 so it will run as a single 4x10 or two 2x10s. I've done something like this, only with a 2x10 cab that will run as 2x10 at 4 ohms or 2 1x10 at 8 ohms each.[/quote]

I see what your saying, but id say 90% of bassists arnt going to want to buy a head thats going to mean they have to re-wire their cabs are they!
Im definately interested in hearing one of these for myself.

OK...so the little giant 1000 has two mono 500 watt amps and it is solid state. Would that not mean you can run one amp and leave the other amp disconnected since solid state amps do not need to be connected to a speaker (contrary to tube amps)? So presuming that is correct the concerns of having to run two 4 ohm cabs with the LG 1000 seem unfounded. Please do correct me if I am wrong.

[quote name='jleguy' post='205362' date='May 24 2008, 01:21 AM']OK...so the little giant 1000 has two mono 500 watt amps and it is solid state. Would that not mean you can run one amp and leave the other amp disconnected since solid state amps do not need to be connected to a speaker (contrary to tube amps)? So presuming that is correct the concerns of having to run two 4 ohm cabs with the LG 1000 seem unfounded. Please do correct me if I am wrong.[/quote]

This is exactly what I would have thought. Just leave one side unconnected.

After dissing these amps a month or so ago because of the way the output is configured (ie, not 1000watts in to one 4 ohm cab) im now seriously looking at these again after just ordering a 4ohms 1212L. Figured if i cant sell the UL212 (also 4 ohms) i could run both together and destroy my guitarist :-).

anyone got one yet?

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='207060' date='May 27 2008, 03:22 AM']After dissing these amps a month or so ago because of the way the output is configured (ie, not 1000watts in to one 4 ohm cab) im now seriously looking at these again after just ordering a 4ohms 1212L. Figured if i cant sell the UL212 (also 4 ohms) i could run both together and destroy my guitarist :-).

anyone got one yet?[/quote]

I have an order in on an LG1000 that will run $450 US all done an said and will let for all know when I have it. And am planning on using it with my two Schroeder 1212Ls each at 4 ohms.

[quote name='ste_m3' post='204810' date='May 23 2008, 10:03 AM']I see what your saying, but id say 90% of bassists arnt going to want to buy a head thats going to mean they have to re-wire their cabs are they!
Im definately interested in hearing one of these for myself.[/quote]

Aye, that sounds like a right ballache.

[quote name='jleguy' post='208545' date='May 29 2008, 12:24 AM']I have an order in on an LG1000 that will run $450 US all done an said and will let for all know when I have it. And am planning on using it with my two Schroeder 1212Ls each at 4 ohms.[/quote]

Thats sounds like a good idea.

I have just got a 1212L 4ohms and was thinking of doing the same with my 1210R 4ohms.

[quote name='Hamster' post='213213' date='Jun 5 2008, 01:56 PM']Are there supply problems with these? Very few shops list them and I would like to hear them in action too. Who's going to be the first to take the plunge?

Hamster[/quote]

I emailed Ashdown and they are expecting the first shipment mid July which would explain why no one had one yet!

• 1 month later...