Why become a member? ×

New Ashdown 'Little Giant' Heads

Machines

[quote name='Machines' post='373804' date='Jan 8 2009, 08:40 AM']I can guarantee you that if I got it in for review and I didn't like it that you'd know about it ! I may be an Ashdown fan boy but I will criticise anything I dislike :).[/quote]

seeing as you have both ABM and MAG ill look forward to your views on how it sits in the line up.

[quote name='dannybuoy' post='373821' date='Jan 8 2009, 09:25 AM']I'd like to know if anyone else reports that the volume is somewhat lacking...[/quote]

I'm wondering if that's something like the Warwick, where it seems like you have to disregard the clip light on the input.

Could it be that Class D amps might not sound as loud as you'd expect from the ratings?

I've got a Crate Powerblock rated at 150w that I use for practice and occasionally for guitar. For either use it doesn't seem that loud [and yes it is supposed to give 150w into 8ohm when bridged]. I realise 'loudness' is largely down to perception.

[quote name='Adrenochrome' post='373854' date='Jan 8 2009, 10:29 AM']Could it be that Class D amps might not sound as loud as you'd expect from the ratings?

I've got a Crate Powerblock rated at 150w that I use for practice and occasionally for guitar. For either use it doesn't seem that loud [and yes it is supposed to give 150w into 8ohm when bridged]. I realise 'loudness' is largely down to perception.[/quote]

Well.... it's probably more to do with the efficiency of the cabinet your using..

[quote name='Adrenochrome' post='373854' date='Jan 8 2009, 10:29 AM']Could it be that Class D amps might not sound as loud as you'd expect from the ratings?[/quote]

Thats my feeling as well.
I have a feeling the LG1000 will not quite cut it like my LMII will But i hope im wrong.

[quote name='crez5150' post='373857' date='Jan 8 2009, 10:33 AM']Well.... it's probably more to do with the efficiency of the cabinet your using..[/quote]

Possibly - although I have tried it with all my cabs, just my perception. It's also really a guitar head! Quite versatile for a £49 head to use for practice and to have as a spare. I've even driven passive vocal monitors with it in the past.

Also be aware that some amps get really loud within the first half of the volume knob, then don't get any louder, while others behave differently. e.g. 12o'clock on the volume knob on amp may be 50% power, but on others it may be 90%. A cunning ploy to make the amp seem loud when people try it out in the shop environment!

[quote name='Machines' post='373804' date='Jan 8 2009, 08:40 AM']I can guarantee you that if I got it in for review and I didn't like it that you'd know about it ! I may be an Ashdown fan boy but I will criticise anything I dislike :huh:.[/quote]

MB1. :)
We'll have no trouble here!...this is a local shop for local people!
I too am an Ashdown Fan! and look forward to your review Mac! :huh:
wonder whos idea the "jolly green giant" logo was?...YO HO HO!

[quote name='Merton' post='374797' date='Jan 9 2009, 09:26 AM']I think you'll find the line out won't have sufficient level to drive headphones, unless you have a headphone amp? But yes, you can run with no speaker load attached.[/quote]

Great stuff, quite looking forward to getting it now, I should have a compressor turning up today and the refinish on my P-bass is being done in 2 weeks, great times for WPD bad times for Mrs WPD.

I braved the cold and ran the LG1000 up in the garage yesterday. Firstly it works out of the box which is a good start.

The I tried it into my pair of Epifani 1x12s, which are 8-ohms each, and then just one channel into Berg NV610, which is 4-ohms.

Using the passive Duck Dunn I found I had to have the input gain wound right up to make the indicator lights operate. I haven't tried an active bass yet.

The tracking of the volume control is certainly different to the Epi UL502. When driving the two 8-ohm cabs I needed to wind it quite a way up for it to be loud, but then I'm half deaf so it could have been VERY loud. Difficult to tell in the confines of the garage, the test will be when I use it at a venue.

Difficult to comment on the Ashdown woolly thing but it's certainly not as clear as the UL502 although with the EQ out and no presets it sounded quite clean. I also took the opportunity to use an EBS Microbass as a pre-amp and go straight into the Fx Return, so bypassing the pre-amp. That sounded pretty good.

Verdict. It works. I reckon I can eventually dial in my sound. It seems to prefer 4-ohm load to 8-ohm, probably more than other amps I've owned. It's a very light and cheap 500+500-watt power amp. It will make a good back-up and jam session backline amp. I think it would work very well into one or two 4-ohmcabs, preferably a pair of Berg NV610s of failing that a pair of UL310s. :)

tryed the LG 1000 out this morning at pmt.first tryed it with a abm 4x10 cab using a squier cv 60's jazz.sounded good lots of different sounds to be had out of this.seemed better than my abm head imo.secondly tried it with 1x15 and 2x10 superfly cabs using a highway 1 p-bass and this sounded much better,a cleaner and clearer sound.didnt realise till i looked on ashdowns website that the superfly cabs are all 4ohms.so can you use 2x4ohm cabs with it?wont do a full review on the amp i'll leave that to someone more experienced!as has been posted earlier this amp will work best at a 4ohm load,bit quiet with one 8ohm cab imo.still they are small , light and cheap. ashdown on to a winner with these i think!