Why become a member? ×

New Ashdown 'Little Giant' Heads

Machines

[quote name='MB1' post='142662' date='Feb 18 2008, 06:54 PM']MB1. :)
Surely The jolly Green Giant must be the Deciding Factor here![/quote]

Haha, surely the real question is whether to go for the jolly green giant or the David Dickinson-esque orange bloke on the other amp!

[quote name='OldGit' post='142663' date='Feb 18 2008, 06:58 PM']It's like the basses they released last year - they were Ok but, goodness, anyone here could have told them the f'ugly headstock was a sale stopper[/quote]
+loads. Like a monstrous carbuncle on the face of a familiar friend.

I suppose the bright colours is a nod to the success of Mark Bass - not realise that sucess is despite the colours - not because of it.

[quote name='Rich' post='142697' date='Feb 18 2008, 07:50 PM']Well, I like the look of the Freebass wireless... 150 quid from Dolphin? Hmmm.[/quote]

Yeah, Shouldn't sniff at a freebase er FreeBass
If it works as well as the better Sure or Sennheiser ones then that's a great price...

What frequencies do you get? I can't see any info.
Does it come with a foot switch so you can use the effects stuff live?

I wonder if they will release one without the effects in fluorescent purple in a few years time ...
:)

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='142695' date='Feb 18 2008, 07:46 PM']+loads. Like a monstrous carbuncle on the face of a familiar friend.

I suppose the bright colours is a nod to the success of Mark Bass - not realise that sucess is despite the colours - not because of it.[/quote]

Hmm. don't think the bright colours have anything to do with Marco Bass, are people forgetting that the owner of Ashdown also owned Trace Elliot for the majority of the 80's, that man invented bright neon bass amps way before Mark Bass even had a business plan, guess he's just revisiting his past.

I think they look great, Ashdown are constantly pushing things forward and dont play it safe, some things work, some dont but they have a go and if they do work (which to be fair the majority of their amps are superb) then great, if they dont they move on. I think we should be proud of an English company doing so well and being at the forefront of things. I also think we should critique the Little Giants when we've actually tried them and not before, and as for moaning about the fact that the 1000 is 2 x 500 @ 4 ohms, whats the problem here? A hell of a lot of great amps are 500 watts @ 4 ohms so with this you get yet another poweramp if needs be, all for £325?! I myself think it will be a real winner and cant wait to try one and check it out properly.

[quote name='phatbass787' post='143134' date='Feb 19 2008, 03:50 PM']Hmm. don't think the bright colours have anything to do with Marco Bass, are people forgetting that the owner of Ashdown also owned Trace Elliot for the majority of the 80's, that man invented bright neon bass amps way before Mark Bass even had a business plan, guess he's just revisiting his past.

I think they look great, Ashdown are constantly pushing things forward and dont play it safe, some things work, some dont but they have a go and if they do work (which to be fair the majority of their amps are superb) then great, if they dont they move on. I think we should be proud of an English company doing so well and being at the forefront of things. I also think we should critique the Little Giants when we've actually tried them and not before, and as for moaning about the fact that the 1000 is 2 x 500 @ 4 ohms, whats the problem here? A hell of a lot of great amps are 500 watts @ 4 ohms so with this you get yet another poweramp if needs be, all for £325?! I myself think it will be a real winner and cant wait to try one and check it out properly.[/quote]

Good reply.
My thoughts are though that we are complaining about the 1000watt amp as its not really clear by looking quickly at it that its not 1000watts in to 4 ohms as one would normally expect. But i guess if you have two 4ohms cabs like i do then its a good idea (am i thinking this right?)
I noticed that the Low Eq is set at 100hz, same as the MAG and i liked the tone of the MAG and i get the feeling its going to sound similar to that.

I cant see any mention whether its a digital pre/power section. I actually cant see any mention of digital at all come to think of it.
Seems like the specs for these new products haven't been crafted yet ;-)

I will still check the LG 350 as i want something small and cheap for at home/work. And i actually prefer the look of the Little giant over the MB heads

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='143163' date='Feb 19 2008, 04:28 PM']I think it is digital with regard to the digital switching power supply wigets that are used in all of these light weight amps to avoid using heavy transformers.[/quote]

Oh yes, i agree. its just that its not mentioned as far as i can see.

[quote name='phatbass787' post='143134' date='Feb 19 2008, 03:50 PM']I also think we should critique the Little Giants when we've actually tried them and not before, and as for moaning about the fact that the 1000 is 2 x 500 @ 4 ohms, whats the problem here? A hell of a lot of great amps are 500 watts @ 4 ohms so with this you get yet another poweramp if needs be, all for £325?! I myself think it will be a real winner and cant wait to try one and check it out properly.[/quote]

The price is fab but people have just commented on the things they can see already - visuals, colours, rack height, EQ controls, no bridging for 1x1000 watts.
Fair enough.

[quote name='OldGit' post='143172' date='Feb 19 2008, 04:33 PM']The price is fab but people have just commented on the things they can see already - visuals, colours, rack height, EQ controls, no bridging for 1x1000 watts.
Fair enough.[/quote]

And dont forget the thin sound......oh wait, ill save that comment until i can try one. :)

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='benjo09' post='145818' date='Feb 24 2008, 03:41 AM']The 350 watt head says about a combined 4 ohms. Does this mean a single 4 ohm cab can't be used or does it mean that if you are comining cabs you must have a min of 4 ohms?[/quote]

It means you can do either. A single 4 ohm cab or a pair of 8 ohm cabs giving a minimum nominal load of 4 ohms.

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='142019' date='Feb 17 2008, 06:22 PM']There are likely to be a lot of these compact lightweight heads coming out over the coming years. I know EBS are working on something similar.[/quote]

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='142334' date='Feb 18 2008, 10:45 AM']eagerly awaiting the EBS digital amps (just got to keep the gas at bay until they are available).[/quote]

Didn't know EBS were making a compact head, was looking at little mark but may have to wait for these! :)

350w for £225?

So, it's slightly more powerful than the Mag 300, lacks the compressor (not a major problem), has a more confusing EQ, weighs 3kg compared to 8.5kg, it's a tough choice as they're fairly similar.

I'll have to pop into SoundControl in brum in a few weeks methinks.

[quote name='Buzz' post='146038' date='Feb 24 2008, 02:57 PM']350w for £225?

So, it's slightly more powerful than the Mag 300, lacks the compressor (not a major problem), has a more confusing EQ, weighs 3kg compared to 8.5kg, it's a tough choice as they're fairly similar.

I'll have to pop into SoundControl in brum in a few weeks methinks.[/quote]

Cant really stick a MAG head in the pocket of your gig bag though eh :)

[quote name='Buzz' post='146038' date='Feb 24 2008, 02:57 PM']350w for £225?

I'll have to pop into SoundControl in brum in a few weeks methinks.[/quote]

The MAGs don't have a compressor either. At least my MAG600 doesn't! :)

[quote name='Bassmouseman' post='146373' date='Feb 25 2008, 09:44 AM']The MAGs don't have a compressor either. At least my MAG600 doesn't! :)[/quote]

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='146375' date='Feb 25 2008, 09:47 AM']The New MAG EVOII's do.[/quote]

I only bought it 3 months ago! knew i should have waited :huh: still gave me an excuse to buy my BBE compressor ;)

[quote name='phatbass787' post='147355' date='Feb 26 2008, 06:04 PM']Think this has replaced the Superfly 500 and 1000 mate.[/quote]
This is what I was thinking. The Superfly 1000 is still going for around £500 but once these start to sell the price should fall sharply as with the 500.
Plus you get the compressor and presets with the Superfly.