Why become a member? ×

New Ashdown 'Little Giant' Heads

Machines

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='141977' date='Feb 17 2008, 04:59 PM']Hmm... we'll see.

By the way, what's going on with Ashdown's designs at the mo? A lot of the new stuff they're putting out looks awful...[/quote]

It is a bit strange. They seem to be veering off-tangent from the typical head/cab designs we're all used to. Props for originality - but I don't think I'd ever choose a lime green / bright orange head.

I was talking to Peter from MarkBass, they stopped making the SD head with the 2 500W amps in, as there wasn't enough interest in them

I think one of the problems with the idea for both MB and Ashdown, is that it's 2x parallel mono amps. There's no stereo / bi-amp capability... oh yeah .. and the afore mentioned lack of bridge facility.. so, not really a usefull 1k.. more like a possibile 2x500W.

I've got a greeeat idea for an amp... no one seems to have built one in the UK yet... the next time I've got some spare cash, I do actually think a 'weekends' project will be in the making! - It has been a while since I put my electronic skills in to action.

oh.. and personally, I think amps should stick to the 'u' standard for heghts, to make it easier to rack mount with other gear. ;o)

The 350w looks interesting, full 350w into a combined 4ohm load like a conventional amp, rather than the 'fly's 2x250@4ohm.

That, and it reminds me of Green Giant Sweetcorn :)

[url="http://www.ashdownmusic.com/bass/detail.asp?section=labs&ID=211"]http://www.ashdownmusic.com/bass/detail.as...labs&ID=211[/url]

I agree with Hamster, the combined knobs/sliders look as if Ashdown wanted to make EQing harder! Although it's alright on my ABM, the "base" frequencies are covered by knobs, and the others with sliders (this doesn't seem the be the case with the LG's though...). But I'd prefer if it had graphic, or preferably semi-parametric!

Edited by Welshbassist

i used a superfly once at a gig and the digital front end sucked- they have fixed this.
If its only £325 that is good, just a shame it looks so bad.

I think that the moment one of the big companies puts out a simple, cheap light weight amp like this that looks and sounds cool then they will clear up a large chunk of the market.
The sub £500 market for folk who don't a big heavy amp. are just starting/not playing all the time and just want an 'ok' tone.
(Markbass do not have the 'cool' factor or the distribution to do this, i mean selling to the kids with the squier/fenders and the converse on)
With Ashdown's market reach they could easily make this amp and do this but I am not sure they have the amp. The Eq is not as simple as it could be and it looks like a dogs dinner. They need to try going for a classic simple (yet recognisable) style that can sit behind punk bands, rock bands, ska bands, big bands, church bands, etc

For instance unclutter that panel.
The EA Iampseems to do the whole swept mid thing better, or the Markbass amps with the sweepable mid frequencies. What they have not is too complicated. You can tell this by the amount of labels they have felt the need to plaster on it!
If you have I and O on the power switch, and an on light you dont need 'Power on and off' printed beside it.
Make that imput meter look sexy
Make the wee buttons round.
Get rid of that stupid gimicy man
Make the ashdown name bigger than the LG name
really want to make it sexy make the corners curved or something make it look sexy.

grrr bad design. Wanna offer me a job ashdown?

Well,

It says in the blurb "7 band semi-parametric EQ"? and in the specifications only lists 2 band semi-parametric and 2 shelving (but lists Treble +/-15dB Frequency 3.5kHz to 10kHz as shelving :-0) and looks like 3 band semi-parametric and 1 shelving on the fascia?

Awesome ;-)

[quote name='En_Djinn' post='142247' date='Feb 18 2008, 12:30 AM']Well,

It says in the blurb "7 band semi-parametric EQ"? and in the specifications only lists 2 band semi-parametric and 2 shelving (but lists Treble +/-15dB Frequency 3.5kHz to 10kHz as shelving :-0) and looks like 3 band semi-parametric and 1 shelving on the fascia?

Awesome ;-)[/quote]
I spotted that, glad I'm not going mad!

They defo need to sort the web details out - it aint no 7 band EQ. Dont know why some of you guys cant understand that its sliders for level and knobs for frequency for the top 3 of a 4 band EQ. The combination of knobs and sliders is an Ashdown feature after all.

Personally I would prefer the simplicity of the MB heads but I really like the look of the Genz Benz shuttles and I am eagerly awaiting the EBS digital amps (just got to keep the gas at bay until they are available).

[quote name='Muppet' post='141993' date='Feb 17 2008, 05:35 PM']They're at it again - it's 2 x 500w, non bridgeable - in to 4 ohms, so not really 1,000w....!![/quote]

I just noticed that as well.
Damn, i was thinking of getting rid of my LMII but not if its the same output.
Oh, and i would miss the LMII filters. Still quite fancy one for home practice though.

Edited by dave_bass5

I'm very seriously considering getting one of these as a replacement for my old, no-name poweramp, for the weight if nothing else. Plus, it would give me an excuse to buy another cab. Decisions, decisions...

[quote name='JoeS' post='142658' date='Feb 18 2008, 06:45 PM']I'm very seriously considering getting one of these as a replacement for my old, no-name poweramp, for the weight if nothing else. Plus, it would give me an excuse to buy another cab. Decisions, decisions...[/quote]

MB1. :)
Surely The jolly Green Giant must be the Deciding Factor here!

[quote name='MB1' post='142662' date='Feb 18 2008, 06:54 PM']MB1. :)
Surely The jolly Green Giant must be the Deciding Factor here![/quote]

Jolly Green Giant:
Sweet or Corny?
:huh:

They really could do with bouncing these designs and ideas off of us here at bassplayer central.
It's like the basses they released last year - they were Ok but, goodness, anyone here could have told them the f'ugly headstock was a sale stopper

Edited by OldGit