Why become a member? ×

Fender bass guitars

chipmunk_jr

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='4-string-thing' post='1237496' date='May 19 2011, 10:11 PM']I hope this is irony, cos I've always found just the opposite!

Bass players are always forward thinking and looking to try new equipment ie, graphite necks, composite bodies, new cab designs, class D amps etc etc.

Guitarists can't seem to get beyond a strat, tele or les paul through a valve amp, all 50's technology![/quote]

In my humble opinion, the best sound, to this day, is;

Guitar: Les Paul Standard, Marshall Plexi 50
Bass: Fender Precision, Fender Bassman

All up to 50 years old, and still the best.

Fenders, ( well,Precisions,those "Jazz" things are too complicated for me..) are the Transit van of the bass world.There are alternatives that may suit individuals better,but you can rely on it to get the job done.Plus,as you can see on the left,they make me look cool as f*ck.

Edited by Spike Vincent

• 3 months later...

I have been a bassist since 1983 and have nearly always played a Fender Precision, it has all the sounds I need.
I have played other basses in 28 years, but when I pick up a Fender bass its just like putting on an old comfy pair of slippers :)

Edited by Hobbayne

[quote name='Hobbayne' post='1373504' date='Sep 14 2011, 06:26 PM']I have been a bassist since 1983 and have nearly always played a Fender Precision, it has all the sounds I need.
I have played other basses in 28 years, but when I pick up a Fender bass its just like putting on an old comfy pair of slippers :)[/quote]

Nicely put.

Everyone see's the light eventually, just some sooner than others!! :)

I played Rics for a good few years - didn't really click with the Fenders....probably considered them a bit obvious if I'm honest. Bad move.

Owned a Ged Jazz a few years ago, had to let it go but loved it....that was the start of the slide!

Since then, all the regular Ric problems got me looking elsewhere....bass collection now consists of just two, both Fenders (one Ged, one P).

They cover all the spectrum I need. My live sound has improved 1000000% (actually cut right through now, top and bottom), and I reckon these were just built for the job. What more do you need?

What I really like is the range of sounds - even from the P - you can play classic Motown right through a down 'n' dirty JJ Burnel. The Jazz goes from Ged...to well, Jazz and beyond though a million stops.

Millions of records and artists tell the story after all!

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a '70's precision from Bass Direct a few weeks ago. For those of you that haven't met Mark the proprietor, he's got a real downer on Fenders and I can understand that as he has a shop full of exotica like Nordy's, Vigiers, and Dingwalls. He had just 1 precision in and I bought it which tells me a lot but you nothing at all. It's all a matter of personal taste and age may have something to do with it? If you caught OGWT 70's Gold edition on the TV the last weekend nearly every band on had a Fender bass in it, what you've been brought up with??

Having said all this, Bass Direct now have the new Ken Smith 'white tiger' in which I'm drooling over. This is probably a whole new thread but has anyone got a view on Ken Smith's work, especially the white tiger???

It's Fender's for me for now but who knows.......

LC

[quote name='LemonCello' timestamp='1317146199' post='1387366']
If you caught OGWT 70's Gold edition on the TV the last weekend nearly every band on had a Fender bass in it, what you've been brought up with??
[/quote]

I noticed Roxy Musics' bassist was using a 54 P Bass :)

[quote name='LemonCello' timestamp='1317146199' post='1387366']If you caught OGWT 70's Gold edition on the TV the last weekend nearly every band on had a Fender bass in it, what you've been brought up with??[/quote]
Exactly! Back in the 70's there was a lot less choice and Fender basically dominated the market, so kids watching the OGWT saw their hero playing a Fender and it was thus a self propagating circle. :)