Why become a member? ×

Fender bass guitars

chipmunk_jr

[quote name='Robert Manning' post='1240933' date='May 22 2011, 09:14 PM']mmm...

mine says MIA... well i like that because its better than MIM, and it makes me feel better.

just being honest :)[/quote]

yeah i'll admit to that
that's not to detract from the intrinsic differences between the two- some may prefer the MIM

for me; my precision is the best bass i've ever owned- but i've never actually played an MIM version so i can't KNOW it's any better, even though i'd pretty much swear it blind

Edited by lucky

Years ago, I thought Fenders were an over-rated cliche and that many other basses were obviously much better.

A Precision Lyte turned me into a non-skeptic. A superb bass and I ended up with two.
I have owned a couple of ordinary Squier P's and was so-so about them, sold them both.
I have since, however, bought 3 more recent Squier P's and love them.

I bought a 60th anniversary USA Pbass mainly because the Devil made me do it. It's gorgeous.

I never played a Jazz I liked 'til I tried a new USA model a couple of years ago on a trip to America. I bought that one on the spot.

Pics at [url="http://www.crazeeworld.plus.com/nighttrain/gear.htm#ian"]http://www.crazeeworld.plus.com/nighttrain/gear.htm#ian[/url]

There's no right or wrong with anyone's taste in basses. It's just what feels and sounds good to the player.

Edited by 12stringbassist

[quote name='Vibrating G String' post='1241100' date='May 23 2011, 02:52 AM']Yeah but you can get your choice of dozens of celebrity names on them.[/quote]

For all the difference that makes I'd be better off buying a marker pen and practising me joinedy upply writing... :)

[quote name='flyfisher' post='1239049' date='May 21 2011, 10:07 AM']I hope this is irony, cos I've always found just the opposite!

Bass players are always forward thinking and looking to try new equipment ie, graphite necks, composite bodies, new cab designs, class D amps etc etc.

Guitarists can't seem to get beyond a strat, tele or les paul through a valve amp, all 50's technology!

Could it be that guitarists are more concerned with their playing skills and technique rather than constantly looking for some 'magic bullet' technology to do the job for them?[/quote]

I was trying to imply that bass players always seem more willing to embrace technology and changes to the actual instrument, where guitarists seem to stick to the tried and trusted.

Of course, there are many bass players that think a fender through an ampeg is as good as it gets....

Out of interest, I went to PMT in Birmingham on sunday looking to buy a bass. I came away empty handed. Not one of the hundred or so basses on display inspired me enough to hand over my hard-earned! And not one of the half dozen I tried felt or sounded anywhere near as good as my precision!

[quote name='12stringbassist' post='1241795' date='May 23 2011, 04:06 PM']There's no right or wrong with anyone's taste in basses. It's just what feels and sounds good to the player.[/quote]

That's the truest thing in this whole thread and it applies to most of the threads on this forum.

Edited by redstriper

I personally find Fenders (guitar and bass) really boring. They are fantastic sounding instruments don't get me wrong but I find that there isn't any individuality to them unless you mod the living daylights out of them but then there isn't much fender left to them.

[quote name='icastle' post='1241872' date='May 23 2011, 08:58 AM']For all the difference that makes I'd be better off buying a marker pen and practising me joinedy upply writing... :)[/quote]
Let's start a trend of non musician endorsements for our basses. I have a MIM 5 string that needs to be a Natalie Portman model. How about a Carl Sagan Precision? A Bob Fosse Jazz Hands?

When I refinished my old Tokai I made a Phender logo for it. Mock the sheep!

:)

[quote name='Vibrating G String' post='1242531' date='May 24 2011, 01:58 AM']Let's start a trend of non musician endorsements for our basses. I have a MIM 5 string that needs to be a Natalie Portman model. How about a Carl Sagan Precision? A Bob Fosse Jazz Hands?

When I refinished my old Tokai I made a Phender logo for it. Mock the sheep!

:)[/quote]

I already have a Les Dawson Sig. Jazz Bass... :)

I love Fenders because they work,and to me,they feel comfortable and are easy to play and
they sound good. That's why I've got 3 Jazz basses,2 Precisions and a Bullet.
Plus,if they get dinged it's no big deal.

I find it amusing that the OP is getting at Fenders,yet uses a Behringer Ultrabass head :)

The fact is that in periods of my life when I have been touring constantly, I had no G.A.S. and was more than satisfied with my Fender through Ampeg combination. It worked at gigs and comments about the bands sound were always positive.

The only time I ever feel I need better tone, new gear, etc. is when I am not playing regularly.

Now I'm not getting at anyone because I do exactly this... but I think a big part is that pro players play whatever get the job done professionally, which fender and ampeg will. The playing / technique / rehearsing comes first and the hours spent dreaming of that fancy new bass comes second.

Don't get me wrong, I know LOTS of these guys also have nice custom / boutique gear at home but the fact remains, they don't NEED it.

[quote name='leezo666' post='1242354' date='May 23 2011, 10:07 PM']I personally find Fenders (guitar and bass) really boring. They are fantastic sounding instruments don't get me wrong but I find that there isn't any individuality to them unless you mod the living daylights out of them but then there isn't much fender left to them.[/quote]i used to think this..i didnt want to play what everyone else was playing...Then i realised its what you play thats individual.. not the bass.. its just a tool

also a jazz bass has many tones to form your individuality from

[quote name='Doddy' post='1242875' date='May 24 2011, 01:00 PM']I find it [s]amusing[/s] predictable that the OP is getting at Fenders,yet uses a Behringer Ultrabass head :)[/quote]
:)

As for celebrity endorsements, tools, etc., I've got a packet of Tommy Walsh Rawlplugs in the shed. Light years better than the stock item.

[quote name='Vibrating G String' post='1242531' date='May 24 2011, 01:58 AM']Let's start a trend of non musician endorsements for our basses. I have a MIM 5 string that needs to be a Natalie Portman model. How about a Carl Sagan Precision? A Bob Fosse Jazz Hands?[/quote]

I've seen a few adverts for "CS" Precisions recently. I had no idea that they were Carl Sagan sig models!! Deeply cool indeed. Where can I get one? :)

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='1243075' date='May 24 2011, 03:51 PM']I've got a packet of Tommy Walsh Rawlplugs in the shed. Light years better than the stock item.[/quote]

Ah yes, but take care. They do not do exactly what it says on the tin. They are not standard rawlplugs endorsed by Tommy Walsh, but plastic devices designed specifically for use when one wishes to strongly attach items of furniture [b]TO[/b] Mr. Walsh.

Otherwise the guarantee will be void.

[quote name='leezo666' post='1242354' date='May 23 2011, 10:07 PM']I personally find Fenders (guitar and bass) really boring. They are fantastic sounding instruments don't get me wrong [u][b]but I find that there isn't any individuality to them [/b][/u]unless you mod the living daylights out of them but then there isn't much fender left to them.[/quote]

Says the guy playing a Nikki Sixx signature Epiphone... :)

Back to the OP, personally I pick up a bass and play it. If it sounds good I buy it, if it sounds cr@p I put it back.

I would never judge an entire brand based on the fact that I'd picked up a couple of them and they were/weren't great. That just silly.

Edited by skej21

[quote name='Doddy' post='1242875' date='May 24 2011, 01:00 PM']I find it amusing that the OP is getting at Fenders,[/quote]

I think you have to be one hell of a player before you can start doing that, its like saying standard black umbro football boots are no good due to all the fancy ones on the market

[quote name='Conan' post='1243095' date='May 24 2011, 08:05 AM']I've seen a few adverts for "CS" Precisions recently. I had no idea that they were Carl Sagan sig models!! Deeply cool indeed. Where can I get one? :)[/quote]
They pop up used quite often, after all they made billions and billions of them :)

Stay away from the black ones though.

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='1243075' date='May 24 2011, 03:51 PM']:)

As for celebrity endorsements, tools, etc., I've got a packet of Tommy Walsh Rawlplugs in the shed. Light years better than the stock item.[/quote]

The new Ryan Giggs ear plugs are really good, can't hear anything with those in.