Why become a member? ×

Overwater J-Deluxe Jazz

lukeward2004

Hi Guys n Gals,

Ive been thinking (uh oh) and ive been scourering the for sale forums for a while for a top notch 5 string Jazz bass, and was incredibly close to buying Ped's and currently Waldo's lovely Bacchus Jazz, however I had to pull out of the sale due to the buyers of my Ibanez Gary Willis and Jazz Bass pulling out.

Im thinking about saving up some moolah and getting to grips with this:

[url="http://www.overwaterbasses.com/bass.aspx?t=1&e=34&c=7"]http://www.overwaterbasses.com/bass.aspx?t...mp;e=34&c=7[/url]

I now there are a few owners of Overwater J basses on here, I wanted to get your honest opinions on these basses? Pro's and cons etc? Rough Prices? Im guessing around £2k...

Cheers!

I've not played any of the Jazz basses mate, but i've played a few of their custom made basses.

Personally i think they are the most comfortable instruments i have ever played, more so than my F Bass and Marleaux. They just seem to hug my body just right. As for build, they're obviously well made instruments, but i think the likes of my F Bass and Marleaux and way ahead in the finish department and general build quality. Sound wise, solid, but not setting the world on fire as such, maybe i just don't like the Overwater circuits and pick-ups, i don't know, but then again, i've never really been after something that sounded distinctive.

Just my thoughts on Overwater basses, i'd certainly consider one myself though...they feel incredible, whether the Jazz range acheives this i don't know!

J

Hiya,
Being the (very) proud owner of an Overwater Jazz, I'd say go for it.

I got in touch with Chris & Laurence in Sept 2003 & once we'd sorted out the spec, it took them 6 months to build. At the end of Feb 2004 the guys confirmed the bass was complete & after a long train ride & an overnight stay in a hotel the bass was in my hands. I spent about 2-3 hours in the shop with Chris & Laurence, & can honestly say it was a blast.

Pros - excellent quality build, the John East (if you go that way) has plenty of tonal variation. Definitely not a heavy bass to wear if you've got one of their excellent straps. Fingerboard is wide but comfy (21 frets). It definitely sounds like Uncle Leo's finest.

Cons - Can't think of any, but maybe I'm being biased. I've never played another custom jazz (i.e. Nordy, Sadowsky, GB, Sei, Alleva Coppollo) to compare it with. I've got a slight problem with a bit of a crackle on the John East at the moment, but having been in touch with the man himself, that should be rectified soon.

I know it's not good form to quote exact pricing on the boards out of common courtesy, but you're in the general area.

Feel free to PM me if you need any more info.

Cheers,
iamthewalrus.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the kind words - ive never been a huge fan of the custom Overwaters, they have all been fantastic basses and nothing wrong with them, but sound wise they just didnt "do it" for me.

As for the Jazzes, im really really really GASsing for one, so im thinking ill put away cash now and within a few months ill get it on the build.

• 2 weeks later...

I had the boys build me a deluxe J5 and it's incredible!!! Quilted top, hand-cut ebony block inlays, East pre-amp, the works. I really can't rave about it enough. I've played Nordys, Copollos and Sadowskys and it's right there with the best of them. The tones are amazing and the construction is faultless.

The Overwater team care about the instrument long after it's left the workshop, the after sales service is second to none.

You're right, they 'aint cheap and with so many tempting options, the price can climb, BUT, if you're GASsing for a custom instument, check them out.

I am not connected to OW by the way, just a long time happy customer. Edited by woodster

[quote name='lukeward2004' post='141921' date='Feb 17 2008, 04:03 PM']Im thinking about saving up some moolah and getting to grips with this:

[url="http://www.overwaterbasses.com/bass.aspx?t=1&e=34&c=7"]http://www.overwaterbasses.com/bass.aspx?t...mp;e=34&c=7[/url][/quote]

Good choice sir, the blue and maple is a great combination - been contemplating one of these myself - [url="http://www.overwaterbasses.com/bass.aspx?t=1&e=31&c=7"]really like the look of this one... I like my black too[/url] ;)

I currently play an Overwater Progress III Fretless 5 custom which is superb, fantastic build quality and the guys up there really know what they're talking about, as a very satisfied customer I'd happily recommend Overwater. I was sensible enough to get my bass built before I got married and bought a house, the next one will be some way off I fear :huh:

You need to get in touch with Stu (Bleedproof) he'll be able to fill you in on all the details :)

Hi,

I actually had that very bass in the link built for me (after they had it photo'd!) but had to sell for financial reasons. Was an amazing bass in all departments, but I will say it did lack abit of output for some unknown reason.
Would highly reccomend them, even just a visit to the factory is a treat!

All the best

Phil

Hi Woodster, thanks i should get Chris May to give me commission eh haha just kiddin.
Yeah definitely was the nicest looking jazz ive ever own, tore me to part with it but such is life.
Hope your enjoying yours anyway mate!

Phil