Why become a member? ×

Fender Jazz Bass FSR/Special Edition

Helderius

[quote name='Helderius' post='1233050' date='May 16 2011, 02:08 PM']Hi,

I need help on a Fender Jazz Bass FSR/Special Edition.
The serial is 005XX.
I can´t seem to fin info on it.
Can anyone inform me if it is USA, MIM or CIJ.

Regards
Helder[/quote]
You lucky boy, it's gorgeous!

It looks like a Fender Japan JB66 but the headstock logo looks more 70s, but I can't recall ever seeing a 70s with a matched headstock.

No info on the bass anywhere on it? Not on the neck heel? have you taken the neck off? I'm no expert but they will probably be along shortly :)

[quote name='Johnston' post='1233086' date='May 16 2011, 02:28 PM']It's a cheap woolworths special probably made in Japan with a Fender sticker . Go for about 50p on ebay. I'll do you a favour though and take it off your hands for a fiver (To cover the price of the sticker) .

I jest of course. But surely with the Blocks, binding and headstock that has to be a Japanese, custom or a limited edition.

'tis rather nice too :)[/quote]

Hi,

I know now it is a limited edition, but still don´t know if it is USA or what
;o(

[quote name='silddx' post='1233071' date='May 16 2011, 02:16 PM']You lucky boy, it's gorgeous!

It looks like a Fender Japan JB66 but the headstock logo looks more 70s, but I can't recall ever seeing a 70s with a matched headstock.

No info on the bass anywhere on it? Not on the neck heel? have you taken the neck off? I'm no expert but they will probably be along shortly :)[/quote]

A friend of mine also says I should check the neck

[quote name='Johnston' post='1233099' date='May 16 2011, 02:41 PM']Looks like USA from a few google references.

Bit of thread from TB

[url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/fender-jazz-bass-fsr-special-edition-496764/"]http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/fender-ja...edition-496764/[/url][/quote]

Yes it does, but still I have seen none with the serial 005XX.
Do you know the proper email adress from Fender to where I send my doubt

Cheers

From the logo an PU placement (correct 70's spacing) it definitely looks like a US 75RI model.
IIRC, around 2002-2003 a couple of MIA 75RI factory special runs were made in CAR, LPB and OW - and a limited number of Sonic/Daphne Blue ones as well.

This bass was a Factory Special Run by USA Fender 2002. They were made in OLY, CAR, LPB and in sonic blue.
I own one in sonic blue. Information about those basses are really rare.
What i found out so far is 250 made in CAR and LPB, 200 made each in OLY and Sonic blue worldwide.
They are Ash Body, Maple Neck/Rosewood Board, Block inlays, three bolt Neck, matching headstock and 70´s PU stringspacing.
These basses are absolutely fantastic and sound awesome. A rare collectors one as well(remember the small number they are made).
This is one of the most beautiful basses ever produced by Fender.
this is my sonic blue one Serial 0003X

and this the only sound impression i found on youtube.

If you need any further help, please contact me also via PM.
Maybe i am able to help you

Edited by 73Jazz

Had mine been a Sonic Blue it would never have left - that^^ is drop dead gorgeous!

Here's my (former) LPB one, great bass even though I tend to always loose it with both LPB and CAR after a while (like eating sweets every day). :)

Got this answer from Fender:

It could be this one.

Model Name: FSR ‘70s Jazz Bass® (Vintage White) for Yamano Japan

Model Number: 017-0010-(841)

Series: American Vintage Series

Body: Alder

Neck: Maple,

(Poly-Urethane Finish)

Fingerboard: Rosewood with White Binding with Pearloid Block Inlay, (7.25” Radius/184 mm)

No. of Frets: 20 Vintage Size

Scale Length: 34” (864 mm)

Width @ Nut: 1.500” (38 mm)

Hardware: Chrome

Machine Heads: American Vintage

Bridge: Vintage ‘70s with Single Groove Saddles

Pickguard: 4-Ply Brown Shell

Pickups: 2 Vintage Jazz Bass Single-Coil Pickups

Pickup Switching: N/A

Controls: Volume 1. (Neck Pickup), Volume 2. (Bridge Pickup), Master Tone

Colors: (841) Vintage White,

(Polyurethane Finish)

Strings: Fender Super Bass 7250ML, #073-7250-005, (.045, .065, .080, .100)

Unique Features: White Binding with Pearloid Block Inlay,

"Bullet” Truss Rod Adjustment,

3-Bolt Neck Plate with Tilt Adjust,

Early ‘70s Logo Decal,

Serial Number on Neckplate,

Early ‘70s Thumbrest Location,

Chrome Pickup and Bridge Covers

Source: CORONA (US)

Accessories: Deluxe Black Hardshell Case

U.S. MSRP: $1,899.99

Specs: Product Prices, Features, Specifications and Availability Are Subject To Change Without Notice

INTRODUCED: 6/2003

DISCONTINUED:

DISCONTINUED COLORS:

COMMENTS: 45 Pieces for Yamano Japan in 2003

WRENCH SIZES: Truss rod and tilt adjust wrenches:

3/32" 0018622000

1/8" X 1-1/4" X 2-3/4" 0023811000

[quote name='bubinga5' post='1234421' date='May 17 2011, 04:20 PM']What makes you say that dude..im interested..[/quote]

- Cause if only 45 delivered to that shop in Japan it would be rather impossible to see one over here..but i have seen 3 times an OLY FSR in Europe.
Now we can discuss about probability :)
- My FSR definitely has ash as bodywood. I do not think that they swap body woods by color.

but maybe i am wrong;)

Maybe the point under comments means that from the whole amount 45 pieces are specially delivered to Yamano, but this doesn´t automatically lead to that only 45 pieces in OLY have been produced.
@BB3000S Do you remember the body wood of your FSR basses?

Edited by 73Jazz

but yesterday you also linked that one

[i]What you have is a 75RI MIA jazz bass, It is a FSR (factory special run). 200 units were made all destined for europe (bass made solely to be sold overseas)! 60 basses went overseas and 140 stayed in the USA. The bass is made of ash and spec's out to 1975 specs. The bass in 2002 sold for $1500 new. This is the only other "true" 75RI MIA bass made by Fender outside the regular production MIA 75RI jazz. What makes it special is CAR w/matching headstock was not offered in 1975, it was only offered (CAR) from 63-73. Btw my serial # is on the back of the neck plate and is VERY CLOSE to you serial#![/i]

so confusion is done :)

Edited by 73Jazz

[quote name='73Jazz' post='1234437' date='May 17 2011, 04:29 PM']- Cause if only 45 delivered to that shop in Japan it would be rather impossible to see one over here..but i have seen 3 times an OLY FSR in Europe.
Now we can discuss about probability :)
- My FSR definitely has ash as bodywood. I do not think that they swap body woods by color.

but maybe i am wrong;)

Maybe the point under comments means that from the whole amount 45 pieces are specially delivered to Yamano, but this doesn´t automatically lead to that only 45 pieces in OLY have been produced.
@BB3000S Do you remember the body wood of your FSR basses?[/quote]
I'd definitely say my LPB had an ash body, and not a light swamp ash, both in terms of sonic character but also because of it weighing a solid 4.6-4.7kg (what's that, 9-10lbs?). In addition, I've played another LPB just like mine plus a CAR and an OW with the exact samt specs, and they were all between 4.5-5kg. They were all wonderful basses and played really really well - IMO some of Fenders finest work and very true to a mid-late 70's vibe.

My guess would be that more than one shop or dealer network globally ordered sets of basses from these FSR series, and perhaps the Japanese guys chose alder to lower the weight. 45 in total for OW, and to boot delivered only to Japan sounds unrealistic - I even think the earlier quoted numbers of around 200 in each colour sounds a bit low.

Edited by BB3000S

I bought andy travis' old FSR lake placid blue it was great (i shouldn't have sold it)

From what I can gather in 2002 they made 200 or 250 of each colour, and then depending on the colour some were like the current '75 re issue with ash bodies and the same pups, others had alder bodies and 'vintage' style pups. I may be wrong but i think two of the colours were nitro too.... that i cant remember.
Given such a small run it would make sense to sell them to dedicated stores in japan and europe (and no doubt in the US too) which would explain why they can say which store they made it for.

My LPB was great, the alder and rosewood giving it a darker deeper tone than the current '75ri. It now lives in barcelona

[quote name='LukeFRC' date='May 18 2011, 02:05 AM']My LPB was great, the alder and rosewood giving it a [b]darker deeper tone[/b] than the current '75ri. It now lives in barcelona[/quote]

Maybe because of the alder being ash :)

@BB3000s thank you

I had one of these too, in LPB, serial# in the high 800's. Mine was alder. But I wished I could have found a Sonic!
Here's what I can tell you from Stateside....
These were first run in 2002 starting with the CAR ones, the other colors ran in 2003. Yes MIA.
The serials I saw tell me there's almost a thousand total (combined all colors) floating around. They were everywhere back then in the big stores and online dealers. I should say the red initially were snatched up quickly, but the LPB and OLY ones were most plentiful by far. By spring of 2004 the dealers here were blowing them out for $999 discontinued!
But the rarest being Sonic Blue, they seemed to have mostly been shipped to Europe, because I've only seen one guy here claim to have one, but I've seen lots of pics from owners outside the States.
I see Bass Direct currently has a Sonic for sale, but the cost and exchange rate puts it $1k dollars over what the other colors typically sell for used here! :)

[quote name='mikeswals' post='1235343' date='May 18 2011, 11:30 AM']but the cost and exchange rate puts it $1k dollars over what the other colors typically sell for used here! :)[/quote]

but still great price..they last i have seen were from 1800-2100 euro, which are, 1585 gbp to 1850 gbp or in your case 2560 USD to 2995 USD

great descriptioon on bass direct
[i]"This was a very limited run with around 200 made in this colour."[/i]

so far so good..
but i like this part:

This solid [b]ash-body[/b] instrument comes with a rosewood fingerboard with white binding, pearloid block inlays and a three-ply white pickguard...
and
Model Name: American Vintage '75 Jazz Bass®
Series: American Special Edition - 2002
Body: [b]Alder[/b]

soundwise and from weight mine is without question an ash body.
i have an original 73 alder jazz also for comparison

Edited by 73Jazz