Why become a member? ×

1963 Hofner violin bass model 500/1

boywonder

Hello,

We have had a Hofner violin bass in our family for many years but we have decided that it may be the right time to sell the bass. I believe it is an 1963 Hofner violin bass model 500/1 .......... but could be wrong??

Does any body know of a Hofner collectors website or a place where i can get this valued. It is in fair condition but would need a little work to get it gig able again. I would love to find an owner for this who will appreciate it as much as i have.

Thanks

R xx

The Vintage Hofner site is an excellent place to do your research, but don't expect anyone to offer a valuation! You might (maybe) get a bite at Hofner Hounds, but you'll need to supply way more information than you have here and - above all - lots of good quality photographs.

As to it being "the right time to sell" ... erm ... no it isn't. The market peaked over two years ago and is currently in the toilet.

If you need the dosh then sell, but if you can afford to wait, then give it at least another couple of years. If it's a genuine, all-original 1963 in excellent condition then it could easily appreciate by over 50% in that time - [b]IF[/b] the market recovers from its current very depressed state.

If it's a beat-up piece of poo with after-market tuners and knobs and a dodgy neck re-set, then it's not worth anything like as much as you might think. It's only buyers of vintage Fenders who like their basses pre-ruined. :)

I won't offer any further comments until I know a lot more about this bass.

• Like 1

:) thank you both for the feedback.

I will get some pics up asap, (will need to go to my family home and sort this out so my take a couple of weeks)

Not in any urgent rush to sell, we've only just made the decision that its time to let it go but will wait for a better market.

I'll put up serial numbers etc when i have all the details.

Thanks again,

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='1232132' date='May 15 2011, 04:14 PM']If it's a beat-up piece of poo with after-market tuners and knobs and a dodgy neck re-set, then it's not worth anything like as much as you might think. It's only buyers of vintage Fenders who like their basses pre-ruined. :)[/quote]

This is a good example of what I mean: [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Hofner-Violin-Bass-Original-1960s-/160584885653?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item25639ae595"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Hofner-Violin-Bass-O...=item25639ae595[/url]

The vendor says it's "after 1964" and I think he's right; it looks like a 1964/65 with the one-piece back to me and would originally have looked like this: [url="http://tinypic.com/a/r1wm/3"]http://tinypic.com/a/r1wm/3[/url]

He's looking for £750 or thereabouts, but I'll be astonished if he gets that. That's a [i][b]very [/b][/i]well-gigged bass which has clearly had a hard life. That said, the fact that it's still going after nearly 50 years of neglect says a lot about just how robust those basses really are.

:) thanks for that post.

The body is in fair condition, much better than the one on ebay, it does have a few "buckle" marks on the back - legend has it that the bass player from showaddywaddy used to play it and my dad got it in a trade from a friend of a friend? (not sure if thats true tho)

The tone plate is slightly cracked on the side where it is pinned to the bass and with this small fault i think the wiring on the insides may have moved a little and detached?

Still waiting on having enough hours in the day to pop round and get the pics.

Will put pics up on here when i can. I wouldn't want to sell for £750 mark as it holds a lot of family sentimental value. I thought possibly it may be worth double or even more than that if selling at the right time.

• 7 years later...