Why become a member? ×

Burns bison/marquee

munkonthehill

Hola all,

Seen a burns bass on gumtree and was going to go for it. However due to neck and fret damage I dont think I could go through with it as its in London and would need to see the damage or at least get an opinion on it.

So I am now in the market for one.

Does anyone have experience of these basses and more importantly does anyone want to sell one hahaha.

DAMN GAS

[quote name='andy67' post='1231992' date='May 15 2011, 02:22 PM']Hey Steve,

Is it a guitar or bass you are looking at? If its a bass then a very good friend of mine on here has one. Could arrange for you to try it out. By the way, loving the Hartke gear!! :)[/quote]

Yeah its the bass Andy, they look the dogs danglys and I really fancy one of those white ones.

So whats the Hartke gear you have ended up with? What ampeg stuff do you still have?

[quote name='cocco' post='1231995' date='May 15 2011, 02:27 PM']I played a few bisons in my time, they're beautiful! Plays like butter and the tone is thunderous. The body is huge though, and some think them ugly. Not me![/quote]

funny enough brother,,,its the big body that I really like. I hate the fact basses look small or at least guitar size on me. So having a nice big bass is a big A+ for me.

As for the looks :) :) :lol:

I played a Bison (a modern reissue rather than a vintage one) and I have to say I was thoroughly disappointed by it. I was trying it out at the same time as I was buying my Gibson G-3 through the same amp (a Phil Jones if memory serves) and it couldn't hold a candle to it on any setting (yes I tried them all).

[quote name='munkonthehill' post='1231996' date='May 15 2011, 02:27 PM']Yeah its the bass Andy, they look the dogs danglys and I really fancy one of those white ones.

So whats the Hartke gear you have ended up with? What ampeg stuff do you still have?[/quote]

Hey Steve,

I'll arrange for you to try it out sometime soon. They are ugly and play like pigs though!!

I still have the b410hlf and the 3pro in the practice room. At home I have the LH1000 and AK410, gigged with this rig once and it was fantastic! Tone and volume aplenty!! You need to try it out.

[quote name='neepheid' post='1232016' date='May 15 2011, 02:37 PM']I played a Bison (a modern reissue rather than a vintage one) and I have to say I was thoroughly disappointed by it. I was trying it out at the same time as I was buying my Gibson G-3 through the same amp (a Phil Jones if memory serves) and it couldn't hold a candle to it on any setting (yes I tried them all).[/quote]

oh matt i was hoping you had good info for me :)

[quote name='munkonthehill' post='1232001' date='May 15 2011, 02:30 PM']funny enough brother,,,its the big body that I really like. I hate the fact basses look small or at least guitar size on me. So having a nice big bass is a big A+ for me.

As for the looks :) :) :lol:[/quote]

Wish I had that problem! A P bass makes me look like a midget lol, one of my reasons for returning to guitar. I think the Bisons looks awesome too, I've played a green one - Sounded like a 60s bass, wasn't awful to play but not great either. I don't remember the weight I'm afraid but if your a big guy thats irrelevant. I wouldn't buy one as a workhorse, 60s guitars/basses are great toys though.

Edited by Schnozzalee

[quote name='andy67' post='1232044' date='May 15 2011, 02:53 PM']I still have the b410hlf and the 3pro in the practice room. At home I have the LH1000 and AK410, gigged with this rig once and it was fantastic! Tone and volume aplenty!! You need to try it out.[/quote]

I tried a Hartke rig at a redeye studios in clydebank. Pretty impressed with the 4x10 and 1x15 i was using. A bit overkill for a rehearsal hall but it did remove all cobwebs hahaha.

Is the rig portable compared to the 4x10hlf??????????

[quote name='Schnozzalee' post='1232063' date='May 15 2011, 03:03 PM']Wish I had that problem! A P bass makes me look like a midget lol, one of my reasons for returning to guitar. I think the Bisons looks awesome too, I've played a green one - Sounded like a 60s bass, wasn't awful to play but not great either. I don't remember the weight I'm afraid but if your a big guy thats irrelevant. I wouldn't buy one as a workhorse, 60s guitars/basses are great toys though.[/quote]

If I can get one cheap enough I will use it at for the local jam sessions. However if its decent then it may make its way into my gigs too....If my new band make it out the rehearsal hall that is hahaha

Hi - One thing to bear in mind is the Marquee is 32" scale, but the Bison is the full 34".

Never played any myself, but the bass player in Oasis used a Bison from what I remember (not that you could really hear it over Noel Gallagher :) ). This seems to be the best demo on You Tube & funnily enough uses a Hartke amp as a pre (audio clips a bit, mind): -

A few demos of people playing along with tunes on there too, but I've found nothing on the Marquee yet (I was considering one a while ago). Here's [url="http://www.musicradar.com/gear/all/guitars/electric/bass-guitars/4-string-electric/marquee-bass-19715/review"]a review from Music Radar[/url] though - pretty positive.

Cheers,

B.

[quote name='munkonthehill' post='1231984' date='May 15 2011, 02:12 PM']Hola all,

Seen a burns bass on gumtree and was going to go for it. However due to neck and fret damage I dont think I could go through with it as its in London and would need to see the damage or at least get an opinion on it.

So I am now in the market for one.

Does anyone have experience of these basses and more importantly does anyone want to sell one hahaha.

DAMN GAS[/quote]

Hi,
I have got the white bass, the lefty version-It's an awesome guitar-the tones are out of this world,they are heavy tho'but the thin neck is really smooth.
with the wild dog setting you can get the slightly overdriven sound
the have gone up in price over the last 12months tho and a new one will set you back about 500quid.
Trev.

[quote name='munkonthehill' post='1232066' date='May 15 2011, 03:03 PM']I tried a Hartke rig at a redeye studios in clydebank. Pretty impressed with the 4x10 and 1x15 i was using. A bit overkill for a rehearsal hall but it did remove all cobwebs hahaha.

Is the rig portable compared to the 4x10hlf??????????[/quote]

Considering dropping from the valve head and 810, the b410 is easily portable!! lol. The Hartke rig is very portable, the LH1000 head is marginally heavier than the 3pro however the AK410 weighs in at 60lbs and is amazingly portable.

I don't have the bass but I have the Marquee/Marvin-based Double Six. I played an original of these back in the 60s and for me, this is a much better guitar. The original had a bar bridge, the new one has 12 intonatable saddles... The frets & finish, in general are impeccable.

The body on these & I think the bass & the guitar share the same one, is pretty big - just about as big as a J Bass although being Agathis or whatever, isn't overly heavy:

Personally, I'd fancy a 32" Marquee & put it through my MXR-80+, but that's just me!!

G.

Edited by geoffbyrne

[quote name='LeftyBiskit' post='1232205' date='May 15 2011, 05:22 PM']the have gone up in price over the last 12months tho and a new one will set you back about 500quid.
Trev.[/quote]

You do get a nice Burns hardcase with them these days though :)

I nearly bought one a few months back, but was dismayed to find the black ones had a white scratchplate and gold hardware - as well as different pickups. I contacted Burns and they said there was a balls up at the Chinese factory and they had been given the pickups from the more expensive Bison 'Shadows' model.
They assured me the stock would be back to normal around February but this still doesn't seem to be the case.

[quote name='benebass' post='1232174' date='May 15 2011, 04:59 PM']This seems to be the best demo on You Tube & funnily enough uses a Hartke amp as a pre (audio clips a bit, mind): -

[/quote]
Hey, I recognise that duvet cover! :)

That was a quickly-knocked up (and very clippy!) demo I recorded auction, to demonstrate that all was working well with the bass.

I have to say that the Bison bass really surprised me - I don't think I've had a passive bass with such a wide array of sounds. With the neck and middle pickups, it reminded me of my old Rickenbacker 4001 and with the middle and bridge pickups, you have a Precision/Jazz-esque sound, depending on whether you are in mode A or B. I had it strung with a set of D'Addario ProSteels during my time with it - didn't get to try it with flats, which I expect would have sounded very nice indeed.

It's really comfortable to play too, with a lovely neck - the neck looks much longer than it actually is, presumably due to the deep cutaways. The 'horns' also point outward, away from the surface of the body, which is an unusual, but pleasing touch.

Sadly, another 'had to sell at the time' affair.

Hi
i havent tried The burns Bison Bass but i do have the Burns Rostill 1964 Shadows Bass Which Is fantastic
i previously owned a Marquee bass which was very disappointing compared to the Shadows bass.
but then again the marquee was a budget model.
These 2 basses Are as different as Chalk and cheese as They say.

regards
Jay

[attachment=80066:BURNS_ROSTILL_002.jpg] [attachment=80067:BURNS_BASS_002.jpg]