Why become a member? ×

Michel Camilo + Anthony Jackon 'Not Yet' Transcription

I really like this track, and it's got some great playing on it by the big man himself. This took me an hour or two, and had to resort to slowing it down to catch those crazy runs!

I wasn't sure what he was playing a one or two parts, mainly the triplet, where I just stuck in the root :)

Please tell me any suggestions/improvements! I'll have a midi file up soon.

• Like 1

I'm doing this at the minute as well, to play with a big band (was just about to write another post regarding it funnily enough !)
- and I'm finding it a killer to get up to speed with !
I can't play it on a 5 string, I have to use a 6 to get round some of those bass runs !!
I have the bass chart I can post so you can compare if you like ?

[quote name='phil625sxc' post='1230751' date='May 14 2011, 09:57 AM']I'm doing this at the minute as well, to play with a big band (was just about to write another post regarding it funnily enough !)
- and I'm finding it a killer to get up to speed with !
I can't play it on a 5 string, I have to use a 6 to get round some of those bass runs !!
I have the bass chart I can post so you can compare if you like ?[/quote]

That'd be sweet mate.

[quote name='Michael Currie' post='1230098' date='May 13 2011, 04:26 PM']I really like this track, and it's got some great playing on it by the big man himself. This took me an hour or two, and had to resort to slowing it down to catch those crazy runs!

I wasn't sure what he was playing a one or two parts, mainly the triplet, where I just stuck in the root :)

[b]Please tell me any suggestions/improvements[/b]! I'll have a midi file up soon.[/quote]
I always hate chipping in because it's so hard not to sound snotty....
BUT :)
the rhythm you have used in the 6 4 bars is not what is on the version I have, and even if it were, as a reader I hate it when people write dotted quavers across a stem line, it's really easy to lose a sense of one when you can't see the the beginning of the beat, so I regard joining quavers with dots rather tan ties the cheapest way to write and the most expensive way to read. I'll post my version in a bit. Otherwise great tho.

[quote name='jakesbass' post='1230890' date='May 14 2011, 12:38 PM']I always hate chipping in because it's so hard not to sound snotty....
BUT :)
the rhythm you have used in the 6 4 bars is not what is on the version I have, and even if it were, as a reader I hate it when people write dotted quavers across a stem line, it's really easy to lose a sense of one when you can't see the the beginning of the beat, so I regard joining quavers with dots rather tan ties the cheapest way to write and the most expensive way to read. I'll post my version in a bit. Otherwise great tho.[/quote]

To be fair Jake - sometimes its down to the Score software [and if he is new to that programme]
But otherwise i agree with you... :)
Always better on the eyes if you use dotted quavers and tied semi quavers across the beat.
No need to make something hard even harder.

Thanks Michel for the part.

Garry

[quote name='lowdown' post='1230899' date='May 14 2011, 12:59 PM'][b]To be fair Jake - sometimes its down to the Score software [and if he is new to that programme][/b]
But otherwise i agree with you... :)
Always better on the eyes if you use dotted quavers and tied semi quavers across the beat.
No need to make something hard even harder.

Thanks Michel for the part.

Garry[/quote]
Absolutely... point taken Garry. :)

[quote name='phil625sxc' post='1230909' date='May 14 2011, 01:15 PM']here's the chart I'm working from - enjoy !

[attachment=79870:Not_Yet___016_Bass.pdf][/quote]
That reads very nicely ta...
I prefer it written in cut time too as the 12 bar head makes for unnecessary 6 4 bars in the A section when counted in half time

[quote name='phil625sxc' post='1230909' date='May 14 2011, 01:15 PM']here's the chart I'm working from - enjoy !

Thats the [written] version that i have noticed seems to pop up - Thanks for the chart

Garry

[quote name='jakesbass' post='1230904' date='May 14 2011, 01:06 PM']Absolutely :)[/quote]

I know that in Finale it is a pig to get 6/4 to tie dotted sixteen notes.
Perhaps a Cuban version of Finale might do it easily enough.. :)

Garry

Yeah, thanks for all of the advice guys! I think that I forgot to mention that this was my first real transcription of a bass part, and I actually learned it by ear before writing it down, so the ease of reading it never really occurred to me, so I just wrote in in whatever way seemed 'neatest'.

I definitely will make a stab at learning the whole thing off this chart ^, and maybe just pretend in my head to play all of those runs :)

Thanks.

[quote name='Captain Bass' post='1230927' date='May 14 2011, 01:36 PM']Cheers for the chart!

Was gonna start learning this by ear until this thread pooped up :-)[/quote]

no problem, hope it's saved you some time - although there are some killer bits in it - I've got my fingers round it all but getting it up to speed is a different matter !! :-)

[quote name='Michael Currie' date='May 14 2011, 02:08 PM' post='1230967']

I definitely will make a stab at learning the whole thing off this chart ^, and maybe just pretend in my head to play all of those runs :)

It's a great chart, and the runs aren't too bad if you do them at a slower tempo - I'm just finding it tricky to play them at speed - will hopefully have it nailed in a few days !

Two interesting interpretations. Personally I'd write it with sixteenths and ties (beginning in 6/4) as there is so much backbeat throughout the track. Good luck doing some of those jumps to runs on a 5. There is a good version of this with the Camilo New York band on YouTube (complete with a minor mess-up!) - Anhony looks like he's reading it but plays most of the runs lower down on the top C string. Having also transcribed his parts on the rest of the album, there is some fabulous playing all round. I think the highlight for me is Caribe as it's just nuts!

[quote name='XB26354' post='1231284' date='May 14 2011, 07:32 PM']Two interesting interpretations. Personally I'd write it with sixteenths and ties (beginning in 6/4) as there is so much backbeat throughout the track. Good luck doing some of those jumps to runs on a 5. There is a good version of this with the Camilo New York band on YouTube (complete with a minor mess-up!) - Anhony looks like he's reading it but plays most of the runs lower down on the top C string. Having also transcribed his parts on the rest of the album, there is some fabulous playing all round. I think the highlight for me is Caribe as it's just nuts![/quote]

Care to share those transcriptions :)

Hi guys,

I started work on a transcription of this about thirteen years ago when I was working on cruise ships and had loads of time for such things...!

I recently typed up what I had in Sibelius, and have attached it here for your reference. Not saying it's right or wrong, but maybe it will be useful to those that are figuring out this great tune.

Cheers
Stu

• 10 years later...

Zombie thread alert! ;)

Considering he was last online August 2020, I doubt you’ll get an answer. I believe Bilbo posted a transcription somewhere on his thread. It’s worth mentioning that there are a couple of versions. I am working my way through One More Once, so will get to it eventually, but it also appears on Why Not?