Why become a member? ×

New Bass Amp

treeso

No this shouldn't be in the items wanted bit! I'm just asking around to see if any of you out there have any ideas as to what amp I should get. I was looking at the Ashdown minirig here, [url="http://www.ashdownmusic.com/bass/detail.asp?ID=144"]http://www.ashdownmusic.com/bass/detail.asp?ID=144[/url], but that's gone out of production. So anyone else got any ideas? Somewhere around £150, but can stretch a little for a really good deal or something like that!

Edited by treeso

[quote name='treeso' post='141319' date='Feb 15 2008, 07:44 PM']Well, probably a practice amp that would be able to deal with small gigs, and yes I would![/quote]

Behringer do quite a big range of cheap bass combo's. Everything from 45 watt to 450, some of the little 180 watt combo's are pretty cheap i think, be worth having a gander anyway.

ULTRABASS BXL1800A combo is about £169 ish from Dolphin and the 300 watt version is under £200

the ULTRABASS BX1200 120 watt combo is only £118 from Thomann and 7 quid shipping

Edited by ianrunci

[quote name='treeso' post='141590' date='Feb 16 2008, 03:26 PM']Thanks for all the help guys! My Dad is willing to cover the difference, so I've got a choice between 80w warwick take 12 and 180w ashdown electric blue 12

opinions?[/quote]

Personally I would igore the posts about not getting a behringer, its just brand snobbery. IMHO you get a lot for your money which is more than I can say for some of the boutique stuff where you pay a lot for a badge.

[quote name='ianrunci' post='141701' date='Feb 16 2008, 08:39 PM']Personally I would igore the posts about not getting a behringer, its just brand snobbery. IMHO you get a lot for your money which is more than I can say for some of the boutique stuff where you pay a lot for a badge.[/quote]
And your experience of budget and boutique gear is what exactly?

From my experience a lot of budget gear is not roadworthy - great at home but f***ed as soon as you start chucking it in the back of the van/car. This tends to affect the resale value.

Unfortunately brand snobbery extends to your potential bandmates and I suspect a lot of auditions end when you walk into the studio with a Behringer. Fact of life.

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='141765' date='Feb 17 2008, 01:01 AM']And your experience of budget and boutique gear is what exactly?

well I am 46 and have been a pro musician since I was 17. I have owned all kinds of gear over the years and many cheap amps have serve me well as have the marshalls and the cornfords and several Messa's. Bit of a daft question really

From my experience a lot of budget gear is not roadworthy - great at home but f***ed as soon as you start chucking it in the back of the van/car. This tends to affect the resale value.

No different from any other gear from my experience. bang a behringer head in a flight case and its no different for chucking around than a trace or an ashdown in a flightcase

Unfortunately brand snobbery extends to your potential bandmates and I suspect a lot of auditions end when you walk into the studio with a Behringer. Fact of life.

I wouldn't be interested with playing with musicians that thought the tools make the workman. I good player can get a great sound from virtually anything. Its the technique that matters not the gear

I know a bass player who has a massive collection of stuff. Alembic,s Status's, Jaydee's, A couple of Laklands and god knows how many others, along with about 6 bass rigs in the 3 or 4 grand bracket. He's still crap and I can get a better sound than him with a cheap bass and a cheap amp.[/quote]

You have to turn the quote tags off if you want your posts to make sense.

The reason I asked about your experience is there are lots of posters on here that dont have the experience to back up their opinions, and yes you can waste a lot of money on boutique gear.

Crap gear can make a great player sound crap but great gear will still make a crap player sound crap. I played with 2 guys who had Les Pauls and one had a twin and the other a boogie but they still sounded like Bert Weedon.

I dont have any experience of Behringer gear myself but I do know there are lots of posters on here that have and I would not say the overall opinion is that great. I have always believed in getting the best gear you can afford when starting out as I wasted a lot of money on cheap gear that was not roadworthy when I started playing 28 years ago.

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='141833' date='Feb 17 2008, 11:45 AM']You have to turn the quote tags off if you want your posts to make sense.

The reason I asked about your experience is there are lots of posters on here that dont have the experience to back up their opinions, and yes you can waste a lot of money on boutique gear.

Crap gear can make a great player sound crap but great gear will still make a crap player sound crap. I played with 2 guys who had Les Pauls and one had a twin and the other a boogie but they still sounded like Bert Weedon.

I dont have any experience of Behringer gear myself but I do know there are lots of posters on here that have and I would not say the overall opinion is that great. I have always believed in getting the best gear you can afford when starting out as I wasted a lot of money on cheap gear that was not roadworthy when I started playing 28 years ago.[/quote]

Yeah I would agree on that point to be honest, buying the best you can afford is great, I just think myself I would rather spend 150 quid on a 300 watt amp with everything I need to get a decent sound at gigs rather than a little amp that no matter what the make wouldn't be any use outside the bedroom or recording studio.

I think most new gear is pretty much roadworthy now. Especially the non valve stuff. I have had a few bit of Behringer gear in the past but only recently got a Bass head. I have to say that the sound is excellent and the build quality is pretty good too, I would have no worries about it being thrown about in the back of a van.

Most of the Behringer gear is cloned from other manufacturers designs and the bass amps owe more than a nod to ashdowns I would suspect. I recently sold a Marshall JCM 800 head which I have used for the past 10 years despite owning a hand wired Marshall, a Cornford and a Messaboogie Rectifier. The Marshall was built like a tank and sounded better than the other three but it was the least expensive, so paying a lot of money doesn't always guarantee you quality, it just means the manufacturer is richer. On the other hand sometimes you get what you pay for :)