Why become a member? ×

15 string bass

steve-soar

Does everyone on here have as much hatred for 12 string basses? I really can't see the issue here, the original clip is of a man at what looks like an exhibition or trade show trying out a bass, getting an idea for the tone and what the bass can do. Similar to what we all do in guitar shops.

The fact that it was disclosed that the chap in the video is a member on here and everyone still felt free to be so rude and offensive is pretty disgusting.

[quote name='JAUQO III-X' timestamp='1327771268' post='1516568']
And to say that you've met me and that I was a douch is a out right lie. I respect people when I am allowed in their space.
[/quote]Oh we've met many times, hung out a bit and I've even helped you in the design of 3 of your basses :)

I was talking about Turner in my quote, who I've also met and stand by my original assessment. You I like. But let's not use real names here ;)

[attachment=98417:BassChat.jpg]

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1327778207' post='1516717']
The fact that it was disclosed that the chap in the video is a member on here and everyone still felt free to be so rude and offensive is pretty disgusting.
[/quote]Is rudeness only to be used when you can use it in secret behind someones back? I find that more disgusting and an example of the problems with tribalism.

[quote name='JAUQO III-X' timestamp='1327771087' post='1516561']People on forums come up with reasons to dislike a person whom they have never ever met in person before.[/quote]

Do you form an opinion of people based on how they behave online or do you assume everybody would be really great if you met them in person and disregard the stuff they type completely? Well there you go.

I've said nothing about your music but since you brought it up: I don't like your music but at least it's different and I appreciate anybody trying something different. As for your skill as an instrumentalist I don't rate anybody by chops alone, I think it's a poor measure of a musician, so I won't comment on your playing. I do think it reflects your personality though and I don't like your personality.

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1305290981' post='1229908']
Not shouting or ranting, just would like to add a bit of perspective to the thread. Sometimes I am amazed at the closed mindedness of some!! - I've long hair, a goatee and long hair..oh dear, I play more than one ERB and like Dream Theater. WTF does that make me?
[/quote]A moderator ;)

A true mod would get more upset with that comment than all the extremely rude comments that came before it. A good mod, well I haven't seen one yet :)

[quote name='Vibrating G String' timestamp='1327787172' post='1516909']
Is rudeness only to be used when you can use it in secret behind someones back? I find that more disgusting and an example of the problems with tribalism.
[/quote]

My point was that several people on here chose to be deliberately offensive and provocative knowing full well that the player in question would probably read their comments. That's just spiteful.

We don't have to like everyone's music or playing, but we have a choice about how we express that distaste.

[quote name='Vibrating G String' timestamp='1327786753' post='1516895']
Oh we've met many times, hung out a bit and I've even helped you in the design of 3 of your basses :)

I was talking about Turner in my quote, who I've also met and stand by my original assessment. You I like. But let's not use real names here ;)

[attachment=98417:BassChat.jpg]
[/quote]

Ok I got it. Where have you been? Well you know how to get in touch with me.

Edited by JAUQO III-X

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1327789196' post='1516938']

My point was that several people on here chose to be deliberately offensive and provocative knowing full well that the player in question would probably read their comments. That's just spiteful.

We don't have to like everyone's music or playing, but we have a choice about how we express that distaste.
[/quote]

agreed.

And I can't see any other good reason to keep this thread alive. If you haven't got anything good to say, it's usually best not to say anything. There's been some pretty sh*tty comments on this thread - amazes me how some behave.

[quote name='JAUQO III-X' timestamp='1327771087' post='1516561']
Here's a clip of me with my original 15 string bass (from the 90's).

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6O0Lgyn6aE[/media]
[/quote]

I like what you're doing here. We've all been there, pushed for time at the end of the set, the sound guy tapping his watch, the bar waiting to cash up. Four songs left on the set list, which do you play?

Genius solution: Everyone plays one song each. At the same time.

IBTL

[quote name='Vibrating G String' timestamp='1327787895' post='1516919']
A true mod would get more upset with that comment than all the extremely rude comments that came before it. A good mod, well I haven't seen one yet :)
[/quote]
Jolly good. Can I get you a saucer of milk?

[quote name='Protium' timestamp='1327956098' post='1519534']
I like what you're doing here. We've all been there, pushed for time at the end of the set, the sound guy tapping his watch, the bar waiting to cash up. Four songs left on the set list, which do you play?

Genius solution: Everyone plays one song each. At the same time.

IBTL
[/quote]

:lol: Well played

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1305292936' post='1229947']
TBH I've not come across JT very often, only that Jaquo MCMLXXXVIII-Psuedonym knobhead. But he does have a horrendous look-at-me bass and he does wear sunglasses indoors when people point a camera at him. These are facts.
[/quote]

Chill with the name calling and lies. I do not and have never worn sunglasses ever.

I don't know why all the hate.

My 15 string bass is tuned E to C.

It's funny how guys talk a bunch of bs about a player while hiding behind a screen name.

Edited by JAUQO III-X

[quote name='JAUQO III-X' timestamp='1327771087' post='1516561']
Thanks for the kind words guys. And for the record the clip of me playing the 15 string bass was the very first time I had ever played it and it wasen't set up to my specs.

And for those who seem to have an issue with me. With all due respect have you ever had an actual conversation with me? Have you met me face to face?

No you have not.

People on forums come up with reasons to dislike a person whom they have never ever met in person before.

Here's a clip of me with my original 15 string bass (from the 90's).

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6O0Lgyn6aE[/media]
[/quote]Hi there. I posted the original clip. Can I just remind you about this?
"And for the record the clip of me playing the 15 string bass was the very first time I had ever played it and it wasen't set up to my specs".

Does the clip not say that you were playing "His, ie, your" 15 strings bass? Your bass, not set up to your specs, what happened?

You just randomly decided to have Pratt Basses build you a 15 string bass and play it for the first time at a trade show, while being filmed, without it being set up?

[quote name='JAUQO III-X' timestamp='1327961966' post='1519708']
Chill with the name calling and lies. I do not and have never worn sunglasses ever.
I don't know why all the hate.
It's funny how guys talk a bunch of bs about a player while hiding behind a screen name.
[/quote]

I've just read this entire thread, and have to say, some comments are rather inappropriate. I don't like this particular style of playing, and as you will see from my own arsenal, i am mortified at the horrendous monstrocity of the 'strung coffee table' being played, but i don't get the personal attack on the guy. Unfair, and uncalled for if you ask me, which of course no-body did, but i don't see the need to make personal comments about an individual who is just playing his weapon of choice.