Why become a member? ×

Going of tune in your bag?

gizmo6789

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1225456' date='May 9 2011, 07:34 PM']Thats the one! He still uses it now and its actually very good for intonation and setups because of the analogue needle I bet there a few quid on eBay and by that I mean a few like 2 or 3 :)[/quote]

Only if you include a battery as well... :)

[quote name='Dad3353' post='1225463' date='May 9 2011, 07:38 PM']Good evening...
I gave up on the pitch fork (too dangerous...)
[attachment=79449:Pitc_Fork.jpg]
...now I use a bass...
[attachment=79450:Bass.jpg]
...tuna...[attachment=79451:Tuna.jpg]
:)[/quote]

I thought I was bad but you soooo deserve a slap for that... :)

[quote name='icastle' post='1225460' date='May 9 2011, 07:37 PM']Only if you include a battery as well... :)[/quote]

Like this but mine was in silver...

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Seiko-Tune-Master-Analogue-Guitar-Tuner-/320656618205"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Seiko-Tune-Master-An...r-/320656618205[/url]

I agree with most of what's been said, but there's some concern about over-reliance on tuners. We should all be able to tune up by ear without a problem. For me, I can only recall one tuning problem onstage in 24 years of playing. If you put your strings on properly and stretch them out enough, you can give the strings a fair bit of abuse without going out of tune. If I need to adjust my tuning during a song or a gig, I'll usuially do it by ear. I check with a tuner during the break.

[quote name='arthurhenry' post='1225495' date='May 9 2011, 08:03 PM']I agree with most of what's been said, but there's some concern about over-reliance on tuners. We should all be able to tune up by ear without a problem. For me, I can only recall one tuning problem onstage in 24 years of playing. If you put your strings on properly and stretch them out enough, you can give the strings a fair bit of abuse without going out of tune. If I need to adjust my tuning during a song or a gig, I'll usuially do it by ear. I check with a tuner during the break.[/quote]

Checking by ear is fine, so long as there aren't people there with a better sense of pitch than you, which for me there probably always is!

[quote name='ZMech' post='1225510' date='May 9 2011, 08:14 PM']Checking by ear is fine, so long as there aren't people there with a better sense of pitch than you, which for me there probably always is![/quote]

And presuming that you can hear yourself clearly. I'd rather have a tuner in the floor in front of me for quick reference,than struggle to hear over everything else in a noisy room.

[quote name='arthurhenry' post='1225495' date='May 9 2011, 08:03 PM']....We should all be able to tune up by ear without a problem....[/quote]
What's the point? You don't need silence with a tuner and the most unprofessional thing is to listen to a musician tuning up during a set.

It probably also depends on the ratio of your machine heads. Mine are 1:12. I think Fenders are 1:20.

A quarter turn on my machine head results in an increase of a semitone on my E string on a Fender I would expect this to be around than half of that. Which may explain some of the ridicule that is going on here.

Also you should only ever have one layer of string wound on the post this will affect your tuning.

Here is my 5 minute solution using my tuner (inside it's box) and one of my daughter's scrunchies. When I have more time I will construct something using some wood and the correct size elastic band. Or I may not :)

[attachment=79452:IMG_0353.JPG]

Edited by TimR

[quote name='ZMech' post='1225527' date='May 9 2011, 08:31 PM']I think this is the most that people have ever agreed on a forum. 70 posts all agreeing that tuning is vital immediately before/during a gig (discounting the OP), plus a few about some van.[/quote]

The OP wasn't complaining about the fine tuning he was complaining about how wildly out the tuning goes.

[quote name='ZMech' post='1225527' date='May 9 2011, 08:31 PM']I think this is the most that people have ever agreed on a forum. 70 posts all agreeing that tuning is vital immediately before/during a gig (discounting the OP), plus a few about some van.[/quote]
Yes, I agree, don't bother tuning at home, tune at the gig, and have an inline mutable tuner for checking and be able to use your ear when possible or necessary.

Sorry about the van.

[quote name='TimR' post='1225528' date='May 9 2011, 08:31 PM']Also you should only ever have one layer of string wound on the post this will affect your tuning.[/quote]

what, how? think I've got about 7 round mine, and I don't fancy sawing through my DB [s]string[/s] cable.

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='1225459' date='May 9 2011, 07:36 PM']Don't laugh!

[/quote]

We bought one just like that....rust and all... painted it Racing green....wrecked it a few months later.
We took out our mates car on the way to a village hall rehearsal.

The band was never the same after that...:)

[quote name='icastle' post='1225481' date='May 9 2011, 07:48 PM']Like this but mine was in silver...

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Seiko-Tune-Master-Analogue-Guitar-Tuner-/320656618205"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Seiko-Tune-Master-An...r-/320656618205[/url][/quote]
That's the one or maybe a year or two newer but he never had that fancy case!

[quote name='TimR' post='1225530' date='May 9 2011, 08:33 PM']The OP wasn't complaining about the fine tuning he was complaining about how wildly out the tuning goes.[/quote]

Tim you claim to have good ears in your sig yet have strapped a box to the back of the headstock to stop the tuners moving a quarter turn at most :)