bass_ferret

Impedance etc

2 minutes ago, Quilly said:

image.png.d47141b2aa29ffdc8a47a46739b3644d.png

I Cant understand why these arent readily available by multiple suppliers. 

Because in order to work their "magic" they will dissipate a significant proportion of the amplifier's power as heat through the resistors required to match the input and output impedances. The more different the input and output impedances are the less efficient it makes your rig in terms of power being used to produce sound. Also the particular device pictured is only good for amplifiers up to 100 Watts, which makes it virtually useless for bass rigs.

A device rated for at least 300 Watts (which is what most bass players will need as a minimum) is going to be significantly bigger, heavier and probably require fan cooling. 

Most sensible people simply buy a rig where the amp and speakers are properly matched.

• Confused 1

I agree that the Z matcher is not an ideal choice for matching a cab to an amp. 

I don’t agree that you need a minimum 300 watts.  Though there’s plenty of threads about that already. 

2 hours ago, xgsjx said:

I agree that the Z matcher is not an ideal choice for matching a cab to an amp. 

I don’t agree that you need a minimum 300 watts.  Though there’s plenty of threads about that already. 

For bass you probably would need to use a 300 Watt amp if you were going also use an impedance matcher, as any setting that isn't a 1:1 match is going dissipate at leat 1/3 of the amp's power as heat through the resistors rather than sound through the speakers.