Why become a member? ×

Re-Valving an Orange Bass Terror

Just put in a pair of JJECC81s in my OTB1000. So far so good, they sound similar to to the 83s bit much more clean head room before the warm fuzz builds. A very worthy swap. Next gig is a week today so will see how they do in the mix then.

• 2 years later...
7 hours ago, Noisyjon said:

Jack, Any chance of getting the OP photo's re-uploaded for this useful thread please? The links are all broken...

Had a trawl through my archives, but that's a bust I'm afraid. Those photos are long gone.

• Like 1

some of the images were captured by the way back machine

https://web.archive.org/web/20121015131941/https://www.basschat.co.uk/topic/134869-re-valving-an-orange-bass-terror/

if someone has a bit of spare time they could be retrieved from there and re-posted to an alternative hosting site?

i would do it myself but i'm only here sneakily, i should be buying new seals for the shower screen not looking at basschat 😁

Matt

4 hours ago, Matt P said:

https://web.archive.org/web/20121015131941/https://www.basschat.co.uk/topic/134869-re-valving-an-orange-bass-terror/

if someone has a bit of spare time they could be retrieved from there and re-posted to an alternative hosting site?

I just took a look but unfortunately the image links bring up this error - 'The Wayback Machine has not archived that URL'

• 11 months later...

Hi All,

Reviving this thread with a question but first a bit of context. I just bought a secondhand Terror Bass MKII off fleaBay. It is apparently a year old, give or take. It looks immaculate, so I believe it and it seems to work fine. The manual says amp valves should be replaced every year. Given this is a used amp, etc, it strikes me it might be a good idea to replace the valves before relying on it at a gig.

So… I have the new valves: a Mullard ECC84 and a JJ ECC81. I had a quick look at some YouTube clips about replacing amp valves (there aren’t many) and they gave dire warnings about residual current lurking in the capacitors. One gave instructions on how to bleed the residual charge from the capacitors but TBH it didn’t look like something I would want to attempt. Plus looking in through the heat vents on my Terror, I can see the two valves inside their covers and nothing else. I have a kind of feeling that the really nasty current would be in the output stage of a valve amp rather than the preamp and as this is class D in that stage, that is not an issue.

Am I deluding myself? What precautions do I need to take when changing these valves? Nobody has mentioned taking any when describing doing the swap.

Your experience of doing the swap would be gratefully received!

• 1 year later...
On 31/08/2020 at 10:55, Matt P said:

i would do it myself but i'm only here sneakily, i should be buying new seals for the shower screen not looking at basschat 😁

Matt

Just found this thread this morning. Hip hip hurrah for the way back machine

What a differance a valve makes

Edited by Ralf1e
typo

6 minutes ago, Ralf1e said:

Just found this thread this morning. Hip hip hurrah for the way back machine

What a differance a valve makes

Yes, it’s a good thread that one.

I should have posted an update, in case anyone else was nervous about doing the replacement . I went ahead and did the valve swap but I used two JJ valves in the end. I couldn’t believe how easy it was. The biggest chore was undoing all those screws to get the cover off. I also wore cotton gloves when handling the valves, so as not to leave grease on the glass but I have since been told that it is not really necessary.

The JJs are still going strong, so I have not done a yearly replacement. My local amp tech says that preamp valves don’t need to be replaced anything like that regularly. I guess I’ll leave them until the sound starts to deteriorate.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

I’m aware this old, but gold, topic is likely done but I can’t be the only other person still rocking the Orange Terror Combo Amp? After a decade I’ve decided to finally replace the valves with a much more manageable pair. But does anyone know how you access the valves in it? There’s loads and loads of videos opening Terror head but I can’t find anything anywhere about this combo. 

Cheers in advance to any utter legend out there that can save me before I send these valves back and resign myself to the gain at 9pm for eternity. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, bogleshake said:

I’m aware this old, but gold, topic is likely done but I can’t be the only other person still rocking the Orange Terror Combo Amp? After a decade I’ve decided to finally replace the valves with a much more manageable pair. But does anyone know how you access the valves in it? There’s loads and loads of videos opening Terror head but I can’t find anything anywhere about this combo. 

Cheers in advance to any utter legend out there that can save me before I send these valves back and resign myself to the gain at 9pm for eternity. 

I’m sorry I can’t provide an answer, as I had the head but I understand Orange Technical Support are very helpful. It might be worth dropping them an email.

• Like 1

I don't have experience of this amp exactly (terror head owner) but from a quick look at images on google there are 4 screws on the top of the enclosure, i would loosen these off and see if the chassis seems to be loose, these seem to be the only points where there is a connection so removing them should allow you to slide the chassis out and get to the valves, this is what most amp makers go with for chassis fixing.

if you can take clear photos of each side of the amp we can see if there are any other fasteners to remove, the handle screws might also fix to the chassis but i'd start with the 4 nearer the edges.

Matt

• Like 1

Cheers folks! It was indeed the four screws on the top that fasten the head to the combo, but I had an unexpected use of a flat screwdriver to prise the head from the wood as well. Thank god for the wee random paint chip I noticed in one of the corners of the head part that made me realise this! 🤣

Really straightforward once it was off though. Cheers to everyone that’s recommended different valves. My new JJ ECC81’s have already given me more use of my gain knob than I’ve ever had with the amp. 

• Like 2