Why become a member? ×

amp advice for my precision mexican?

mr.gritstoner

hi guys,

I have finally saved up some bread (around £250) to spend on amplifying my mexican precision.

I play in varied styles, mostly funk,jazz,motown and slap.

so considering i need to have that fat,rounded bottom for walking bass and motown,but the treble and sharpness for slap and some jaco stuff, i really need an all rounder.

Also, I tend to use lighter strings.

so what do you think guys? separate head and cab? if so,what combination? or just a combo? is valve out of the question at this price?

answers to any of these lurking questions would be well appreciated.

thanks for reading.

[quote name='neilb' post='1222317' date='May 6 2011, 04:18 PM']A nice Trace Elliot combo would suit. Prob a 2x10.[/quote]

thanks for the advice,im arranging to audition a trace elliot combo atm.

ive also seen that you can get a behringer head with plenty power without turning the pockets inside out,but ive also heard that behringer are cheap and nasty. have you had any experience with such a brand? or is that just an offensive question for you?

[quote name='mr.gritstoner' post='1222391' date='May 6 2011, 05:17 PM']thanks for the advice,im arranging to audition a trace elliot combo atm.

ive also seen that you can get a behringer head with plenty power without turning the pockets inside out,but ive also heard that behringer are cheap and nasty. have you had any experience with such a brand? or is that just an offensive question for you?[/quote]

The Behringer BX3000 head is not bad sounding, although it's heavy and the fan makes a lot of noise (ok live, but if you ever think of using it quietly at home...)
I bought s/h that head and a matching Behringer 2x10 cab for £100. Not the best, but it worked well and I didn't go without food.

However... if you can afford a bit more, I'd look at a used Peavey Tour 450 head. Used they're around £200. They are well made and sound great. But you still need a cab. Well, the good news is that there are lots available and in particular Peaveys are usually decent. I bought a used TX410 off another basschatter for £75 (he was local). I would say that for £300 you will be able to get a decent head (seriously, try that Tour 450) and a 4x10 cab, and it will be a rig that you won't feel you are really compromising. It will not be the loudest, but it will be more than loud enough... it will definitely not be the lightest or smallest, but it will work well and it will sound good.

That's what I would do, personally, if I found myself amplifier-less and had £250 to spend.

I'd look at a used Peavey Tour 450 head. Used they're around £200. They are well made and sound great. But you still need a cab. Well, the good news is that there are lots available and in particular Peaveys are usually decent. I bought a used TX410 off another basschatter for £75 (he was local). I would say that for £300 you will be able to get a decent head (seriously, try that Tour 450) and a 4x10 cab, and it will be a rig that you won't feel you are really compromising. It will not be the loudest, but it will be more than loud enough... it will definitely not be the lightest or smallest, but it will work well and it will sound good.

excellent,thanks for the advice mate! just a couple of things, did you use a precision with this rig? ive heard that you really need to get a rig that matches your bass. also, will it be versatile enough for me,considering the range of styles i will be playing in?

[quote name='neilb' post='1223459' date='May 7 2011, 05:41 PM']The only thing that will dictate if a rig matches your bass is your own ears.

Good luck and let us know what you end up getting.[/quote]

ahh so thats where the suttle differences come in and your sound can get very unique. thanks for all the information and insight so far.you guys have been loads of help!

[quote name='Slipperydick' post='1222423' date='May 6 2011, 05:46 PM']I use my 91 Mex with a Hartke 3500 4X10 combo. Really punchy, almost knock you off your feet. Great for walking bass lines - for me, anyway.[/quote]

91 mex? im not sure what you mean,by hartke?

[quote name='mr.gritstoner' post='1224446' date='May 8 2011, 08:09 PM']91 mex? im not sure what you mean,by hartke?[/quote]

[url="http://shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=hartke+3500&_sacat=See-All-Categories"]http://shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?_from=R40&am...-All-Categories[/url]

Plus my old trusty Mexian Precision

Whats to not understand ??

Edited by Slipperydick

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='mr.gritstoner' post='1237325' date='May 19 2011, 07:49 PM']hi guys, thanks to all your advice i have landed a bargain:

ashdown mag 250 head.

mag 4x 10 cab (250 w)

mag 1x15 cab. (250w)

cabs are the ones with the blue cones (apparently the best)

8 years old,decent condition, £300.

what do you all reckon?[/quote]

You can't go wrong with an old Ashdown. If it's lasted this long it's probably a goodun. Also probably made in the UK (the newer ones are made in China and not as reliable I've heard). I have one and I've abused it terribly and it's still going strong.

[quote name='gjones' post='1237362' date='May 19 2011, 08:23 PM']You can't go wrong with an old Ashdown. If it's lasted this long it's probably a goodun. Also probably made in the UK (the newer ones are made in China and not as reliable I've heard). I have one and I've abused it terribly and it's still going strong.[/quote]

yes its quite the trucker. do you have the same cabs? see the only thing with it is i get this crackling in the 4 x 10, when its warming up,then it goes away.any clues?

I've got a Hartke 3500 and MAJ 1x15 (eminence) 400 W cab that's sitting around doing nowt. £175 would do the trick ..

[quote name='mr.gritstoner' post='1222297' date='May 6 2011, 04:06 PM']hi guys,

I have finally saved up some bread (around £250) to spend on amplifying my mexican precision.

I play in varied styles, mostly funk,jazz,motown and slap.

so considering i need to have that fat,rounded bottom for walking bass and motown,but the treble and sharpness for slap and some jaco stuff, i really need an all rounder.

Also, I tend to use lighter strings.

so what do you think guys? separate head and cab? if so,what combination? or just a combo? is valve out of the question at this price?

answers to any of these lurking questions would be well appreciated.

thanks for reading.[/quote]