Why become a member? ×

Mesa Boogie Titan V12

Chopthebass

I just returned my DB750 to the Gallery for this! I used the DB twice and just wasn't happy with the woolly sound and lack of clarity. I guess I just preferred my GK1001. Anyway, still got the GK, but wanted a high power head to replace the Aguilar. It had to go down to 2-ohms as I have three DB112 cabs totalling 2.6ohms. The Mesa fits the bill, and what a sound! Its like the DB750 but with some clarity thrown in. Plus two identical footswitchable channels and overdrive makes this extremely versatile. Recommended!

Are there any other MB users out there?

It says its an 8 stage all valve preamp with 22 custom mosfets at the output stage. It is two Big Block 750 preamps, but has more power. Its 1400w into 2-ohms, 1200w into 4, and 840 into 8.

I've yet to try it at a gig, but it sounds promising played at home. I don't know where you'd begin offering sound clips, as you can get pretty much any sound you like. Plus I wouldn't know how to record and save digitally!

Its now gone back in the huge mesa sleeve, as the mounting holes didn't line up with those in the Aguilar (pro-tec) rack case. I thought all rack stuff has standard mountings!

I'll put together a review after its used in anger.

The footswitch controls....

Switches between two inputs (you could have an active and a passive bass, or a bass & a keyboard)
Switches between channel 1 & channel 2
Switches on/off the overdrive for the channel you are on.
Switches on/off the solo (another knob next to the master governs how much over the master vol you wann go)
And a mute

Can't wait to use it! I'll let you know what I think. It better be good as it cost enough!

• 1 month later...

Hey guys. I was hoping some of you might be able to help me on this. I'm thinking of buying a mesa boogie v12, to be honest I'm not great at working out the whole wattage and ohms thing. I have an Ampeg SVT-810E cab, will I be able to run the v12 through it? Any advice would be appreciated, cheers! :)

[quote name='Murph_Orpheus' post='164745' date='Mar 27 2008, 08:11 PM']Hey guys. I was hoping some of you might be able to help me on this. I'm thinking of buying a mesa boogie v12, to be honest I'm not great at working out the whole wattage and ohms thing. I have an Ampeg SVT-810E cab, will I be able to run the v12 through it? Any advice would be appreciated, cheers! :)[/quote]

Hi,
The Titan head runs 1200w into 4-ohms, a bit less into 8-ohms, and if you flick the switch on the rear to 2-ohms you can get 1400w into 2-ohms. So, it will definitely be a trouser-flapping match for your cab!
Go for it. Having two identical channels is sooo useful.
Cheers
Ian

[quote name='Chopthebass' post='164759' date='Mar 27 2008, 08:30 PM']Hi,
The Titan head runs 1200w into 4-ohms, a bit less into 8-ohms, and if you flick the switch on the rear to 2-ohms you can get 1400w into 2-ohms. So, it will definitely be a trouser-flapping match for your cab!
Go for it. Having two identical channels is sooo useful.
Cheers
Ian[/quote]

Cheers Ian. I do get slightly confused by this though, I always thought you had to keep the wattage level lower than the level of the cab? The cab is 800 watt? So wouldnt the v12 be too much for it? I probably sound stupid for asking, but I never had the head for all this stuff!

Dave.

[quote name='Murph_Orpheus' post='164770' date='Mar 27 2008, 08:41 PM']Cheers Ian. I do get slightly confused by this though, I always thought you had to keep the wattage level lower than the level of the cab? The cab is 800 watt? So wouldnt the v12 be too much for it? I probably sound stupid for asking, but I never had the head for all this stuff!

Dave.[/quote]

True to a point. My three cabs total 900w, and my head is 1400w. The amp is never pushed, so I'm always on the safe side. Before I had two Epifani 410 cabs each capable of 1000w, and I was using a GK1001 700w head. I found it sounded better with one cab than two, as I wasn't pushing the cabs enough. Unless you plan to make your ears bleed and disembowel the first 6 rows of your audience, your setup will be very very good.

[quote name='Murph_Orpheus' post='164942' date='Mar 27 2008, 11:38 PM']So you'd recommend the v12 for my setup then? I was going to get the Big Block 750 as an alternative[/quote]

For the extra two or three hundred quid, I'd go for the Titan, as its like having two big block 750 preamps in one. You can set up different sounds for each channel, set different solo and overdrive settings for each channel also. This make it very flexible in my opinion.

You'd have to crank the Titan to very loud levels to damage your 8x10. I'm sure it'll be fine.

I'm putting just over 1200w into 900w of cabs, and I'm getting told to turn down! Go for it.

[quote name='G-bitch' post='166909' date='Mar 31 2008, 01:51 PM']That's the ugliest amp sleeve I have ever seen in my entire life. Amp looks pretty sweet though.[/quote]

When I bought it I thought I was getting the rack mount version! I took it out of the sleeve and tried it in the Aguilar sleeve I had, but the mounting holes didn't line up. So thats why its back in the ugly sleeve.

By the way - you have a way with words!

• 10 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...