Why become a member? ×

Think im going to give up bass playing..

bubinga5

I'm in the same boat, so can see where you're coming from.

I walked out of a band a few months ago cos I wasn't enjoying it (seems that they had a mate waiting in the wings, so they made things unpleasant for me til I left) I've taken a break and TBH, am thinking that maybe I should pack it in as well. I can't get enthusiastic about music at all and the thought of joining another band fills me with dread! It just seems like too much trouble and effort.

As far as excuses go though, your bands sounds a bit lame, presumably they were happy with your playing when you joined the band, so why not now?

You could do as some have said and take lessons or learn to read or find a band that plays in a more "loose" style, something musically different to what you've been doing. It may just fire you up again. But, whatever you do.... DO NOT SELL YOUR GEAR!!!!!!!!

[quote name='4-string-thing' post='1214947' date='Apr 29 2011, 02:42 PM']I walked out of a band a few months ago cos I wasn't enjoying it (seems that they had a mate waiting in the wings, so they made things unpleasant for me til I left) I've taken a break and TBH, am thinking that maybe I should pack it in as well. I can't get enthusiastic about music at all and the thought of joining another band fills me with dread! It just seems like too much trouble and effort.[/quote]

That's not a failing on your part as a bass player, it's a failing on their part for not having the b*lls to be honest.

Anyway, it's unlikely you'd be in the same band as me so what on earth have you got to dread? :)

[quote name='Len_derby' post='1214912' date='Apr 29 2011, 02:07 PM']Go to see a gig tonight.
If the bassplayer is good, you'll be inspired. If they're not, you'll come away thinking 'F*** me, I can do better than that'.

More seriously, don't give up mate. Anything that's worth doing doesn't come easy all the time.

And definitely do not stop posting on this forum! I love your Youtube links.[/quote]
:) thanks dude

[quote name='icastle' post='1214961' date='Apr 29 2011, 02:48 PM']That's not a failing on your part as a bass player, it's a failing on their part for not having the b*lls to be honest.

Anyway, it's unlikely you'd be in the same band as me so what on earth have you got to dread? :)[/quote]

I'd jump at the chance of playing in a band like yours again (probably)

I was offered an audition tonight actually, but declined after seeing a set list..... I just couldn't ever see myself playing Valerie, Sweet child o' mine, Walking on sunshine etc..... (shudder)

If its any help whatsoever,i've been gigging 20+ years,cant read a note,dont think i even know any scales,play mostly covers and earn a living from it.You are more than likely a far better player than i will ever be.Like someone said,its not a competition.I think about giving up now and again,but just cant.I think that you would be the same.

[quote name='4-string-thing' post='1214977' date='Apr 29 2011, 02:59 PM']I'd jump at the chance of playing in a band like yours again (probably)

I was offered an audition tonight actually, but declined after seeing a set list..... I just couldn't ever see myself playing Valerie, Sweet child o' mine, Walking on sunshine etc..... (shudder)[/quote]

But surely the biggest part of playing live music is to entertain?
It shouldn't really matter if you're playing in a punk covers band or playing Agadoodoodoo (I've done both in one day!).

It's a damn sight easier to hook up with musicians who play the sort of stuff you like if you're actually playing - even if it's stuff you don't like. :)

[quote name='bubinga5' post='1214849' date='Apr 29 2011, 01:28 PM']i think i need to analise my playing[/quote]

that sounds painful :)

You are getting some magic advice from your fellows - I have been in and out of playing for years now. Each time out the buzz brings me back. Take the best advice and get busy.

I know jack sh*t about bands,however you overall tone in the post sounds like your on a total downer,for once i`ll agree with SR Pete,chill over the weekend,without patronising you im sure your good on the bass or surely you wouldnt have been in the band in the first place......have a break,come back better and ready to rock til you drop m8,you wont give up,im crap,no im really abismal,fed up hearing mates etc heckling me but ive accepted im a rookie,i get a stiffy when i eventually grasp something new andd it keeps me happy,at last aged 46 ive found a hobby that occupies the few unhinged brain cells i have left and thats what bass is to me....enjoyment.point im making is before you played in a band you must have felt the same,when the fun goes out it thats when you pack it in.
ps if your that down you can give me lessons if you like,you feckin will quit then :)

Going straight into another band might be a good idea - then again it might not.
The next band you go into, might have you feeling paranoid after what has been said to you.
Get a teacher, have a few lessons, let him point you into some kind of direction,
and get you enthusiatic again, and dare i say it, structure it all out a bit.
This will all help with getting the confidence levels up again, and some discipline into your playing.

Some theory under your belt will never go a miss, whatever anyone says.
Upward and onward my friend, and good luck with it all.

Garry

[quote name='lowdown' post='1215144' date='Apr 29 2011, 05:45 PM']Get a teacher, have a few lessons, let him point you into some kind of direction,
and get you enthusiatic again, and dare i say it, structure it all out a bit.
This will all help with getting the confidence levels up again, and some discipline into your playing.

Some theory under your belt will never go a miss, whatever anyone says.
Upward and onward my friend, and good luck with it all.

Garry[/quote]

+1 what Garry said.

A lot of people who get sacked from a job or position of whatever kind were not necessarily happy in their position anyway and many of those sacked move on to find things that make them happier and more rewarded. I know, it's happened to me quite a few times. I used to have a job I hated and I underperformed in it, was asked to leave and went on to do a series of jobs I've loved doing. This is the time to reflect and also to look forward with a positive view.

I was sacked years ago (as a guitarist) from a rockabilly band that I loathed, thought it was the end of the world at the time and within a few months I'd put my own band together that I fronted and that went on to play 200+ gigs and I loved every minute of that.

Another lesson I learned from being dumped is to think about things a bit more before leaping into them; what are the people really like, do I love the music/job/gigs etc and what would happen if it suddenly came to an end?

Stay positive, think about what you fancy doing in the future and work toward it. I'm always trying to learn new things and achieve things that I maybe hadn't thought about years ago and along the way you meet some great folk and learn some incredible life skills and nuggets of wisdom. Maybe bass isn't the instrument for you, I switched to bass 6 years ago from guitar and never looked back; 20 years of guitar wasn't wasted, it was just a stepping stone and part of my journey through music, maybe bass is similar for you, only you will know.

It might feel sh*tty at the present but stay positive and make positive actions from this and you'll look back on it as point in life where things changed for the better in one way or another.

And don't let this temporary downer get in the way of you enjoying the weekend.

Illegitimi non carborundum :-)

Edited by Sean

BB5, you should carry on playing because it's very clear that you enjoy music to an unprecedented degree, I can tell by the music that you post up and the way you talk about music in general in your posts. You don't have to play in a band, but if you don't think your playing is up to scratch then do a bit of wood shedding. Music is about enjoying yourself, clearly you must get some enjoyment out of playing whether it be by yourself or with other people! Don't despair, and don't feel like you need to give up.

[quote name='Clarky' post='1214821' date='Apr 29 2011, 01:05 PM']Chemistry between band members is more important than ability IMHO[/quote]

[i]Perfectly[/i] put sir.

I dropped out too for a while. I meant it to be forever, but I was chomping at the bit start playing bass again after just a few months. Bands are bollocks. It's so hard to keep a band organised and together for a long period of time, the political crap that goes with it is such a ball ache, but there's no feeling like applause at the end of a well played set, and people wanting more, even if it [i]is[/i] alcohol induced by the end of the set.

Try playing at home to some different styles, pop, reggae, jazz, metal, whatever you haven't done before, and leave the band thing alone for a while, it'll open up your mind again. There's nothing worse than only sticking to the type of music you're comfortable with, try something new, and push a few boundaries.

Take a deep breath, and sit back for a while. DO NOT sell off your gear, 'cause I promise you, you'll be back and ready to play again in no time.

[quote name='Clarky' post='1214821' date='Apr 29 2011, 01:05 PM']B5, I can guarantee that you are a leagues better bass player than me. I can't read, I sit on root notes etc. Your technical ability (whatever it is) is perfectly adequate for many bands, so wave goodbye to this lot and there will be someone else out there in which you will fit in perfectly. Chemistry between band members is more important than ability IMHO[/quote]

That has to be the most sensible thing I`ve read on here for ages! Look at me, can`t read, can`t do any slapping or fancy stuff and what`s that thin string on the bottom of the bass for yet I play in a reasonably busy covers band having it large as they say :)

It is down to the guys that you play with. Forget about these losers and get yourself another band or start your own. Don`t give up as I think that you will only regret it. You have always come across to me as someone who is quite passionate about your playing when I read your posts.

Jez

Providing you can actually play, just look for another band that does like what you do.

Sounds like the last lot were a load of F##kwits to me. We could all improve, I know I could, and we all try to, but bearing in mind finding a band takes time, work on your weaknesses, and get on with it.

I quit a few times, and always regretted it, all that time just wasted.....

As a fellow Cheltonian basschatter, maybe we should hook up and go for a pint, add me on fbook if you like mate, (Gareth Franks-Bayntun) As, for somewhat different and more complicated reasons, I'm very seriously considering knocking it all on the head as well, although i love the band I'm in :-(
I always had you down as a sharp player mate, I'm sure there's more to it. Drop me a pm or something if you wanna head into town to chew the fat. :)

[quote name='gafbass02' post='1215220' date='Apr 29 2011, 06:52 PM']As a fellow Cheltonian basschatter, maybe we should hook up and go for a pint, add me on fbook if you like mate, (Gareth Franks-Bayntun) As, for somewhat different and more complicated reasons, I'm very seriously considering knocking it all on the head as well, although i love the band I'm in :-(
I always had you down as a sharp player mate, I'm sure there's more to it. Drop me a pm or something if you wanna head into town to chew the fat. :)[/quote]

I'll be kicking around Cheltenham tomorrow night at Lamb as part of the Chelt Jazz festival - I'll be back again on Sunday for the Neil Cowley Trio at the Imperial Gardens Jazz Arena - it starts at 2pm - should be good I'll be around in the beer gardens afterwards around 3.30

[url="http://www.cheltenhamfestivals.com/find-events/jazz/j30-neil-cowley-trio-strings"]http://www.cheltenhamfestivals.com/find-ev...ey-trio-strings[/url]

Let me know if you fancy meeting up guys

Mike

I actually packed in playing for about 5 years, the band that I was in collapsed after too many false dawns and I limped on for a bit playing in some other bands, I had some good times but to be honest I was only doing it for the partying and got a bit jaded. So I just stopped and packed the gear away in a cupboard, I would get a notion to sell my gear every now and then but never did.

After a while I was getting a bit stressed at work and started (I kid you not) to dream about playing, so I dusted the bass off and found I really enjoyed playing again. By a strange series of coincidences ended up hooking up with a my old bandmates as well as a producer guy I know and did a bunch of recording about a month after I picked the bass up again. I Found this site, bought loads of gear and and am right back into it again, happily going nowhere but enjoying it and trying to fill in all the holes I had in my playing when I was busy trying to be a rock star.

I dunno where I'm going with this in regards to the OPs original post other than sometimes life get's a wee bit busy and bass playing can seem irrelevant and a chore, but when all the sh*t dies down it's an amazing thing to play music and do something just for the sheer enjoyment of it.

So don't sell your gear!

Edited by steviedee

[quote name='4-string-thing' post='1215274' date='Apr 29 2011, 07:58 PM']you still looking then?

My g/f reckons I have no structure![/quote]
what does she know? yep still lookin. babyshambles, monkees, clash, violent femmes, lou reed, some originals thrown in, all the funky uns and then some.