Why become a member? ×

What's the best bit of kit you've ever bought?

Len_derby

Lexicon MPXG2 - literally a swiss army knife. I've been able to reconfigure it for pretty much every situation regardless of whether bass or guitar, studio or live, stereo or mono. In fact I bought a second very recently because the market rate for them is so low. Absolutely outstanding piece of kit. I've even been able to use it to integrate my MIDI rig into the main bass rig using the switchable insert loop.

[quote name='paul_5' post='1215228' date='Apr 29 2011, 07:04 PM']US made Ampeg SVP PRO blackface. lovely piece of kit. Also MXR M80.[/quote]

My US made Ampeg SVP PRO blackface is a lovely sounding piece of kit. Except it mutes itself whenever it feels like it. No-one has (as yet) found out why.. Or how to fix it.

Best piece of kit? I've got some whirlwind cables that are over 15 years old and have never snapped,crackled or popped.
Otherwise, my PX4D.

Nothing really...
I've had bad luck with gear, always breaking at the most inoppurtune moments.
My epiphone thunderbird was reliable and I wish I hadn't sold it for beer now but I wouldn't buy another, the sound was a bit muddy and it was a bastard to play for more than an hour stood up due to neck dive.

Hmm, I bought a cable from that dude on the forum OBBM, bassic bits cable, thats never let me down and I don't think it ever will.

Without a 2nd thought it has to be my fender jag.

Its the best playing bass that I have owned and although the sound maybe isnt as refined or 'hi-fi' as the higher end section of basses. However this all adds to the amazing voice this bass has.

I nearly sold/traded it a few times but always stayed with it. Im very glad I have.

My Ric on the other hand...............MAKE ME AN OFFER :)

US Precision - finally found "my" sound, the sound that I`d tried, and failed to get, with so many other basses.

My TC Electronic Classic 450 also gets a mention here - this amp has made such a difference, great sound and so easy to carry about, compared to my previous amps, which were back-breakers.

I'd go with the Tascam trainer too -- though I have the guitar one for some reason.

I use it pretty much every day.

The only thing I'd prefer is a more sophisticated version that lets you set the pitch, speed and things like loops for individual songs.

Cheers

Mark

I was going to say a Hipshot De-tuner, but decided to plump for my Line 6 GX Toneport with PodFarm modelling software. It allows me to use my PC at home or laptop when away as a practice amp, playing along to the songs on my computer at a volume that won't annoy other people in the area! I also use it in conjuction with Cubase to record demos.

As far as basses go, my first Jazz bass. I was always a Precision sort of guy, but when I first tried a Jazz, the neck just fitted my hands perfectly, the neck pickup gave me somewhere to park my thumb comfortably and the variation of tone was an eye-opener.

[quote name='Johnston' post='1216471' date='May 1 2011, 12:11 PM']I put a couple of tunes that are de-tuned through Audacity first. So that when played back they are in standard tune.

Saves hassle de tuning the bass or fiddling about with settings when practising.[/quote]
Thanks -- I'll give that a go.

Cheers

Mark

[quote name='misrule' post='1216466' date='May 1 2011, 11:59 AM']I'd go with the Tascam trainer too -- though I have the guitar one for some reason.

I use it pretty much every day.

The only thing I'd prefer is a more sophisticated version that lets you set the pitch, speed and things like loops for individual songs.

Cheers

Mark[/quote]

Yes, Not being able to set pitch and speed for individual tracks is one of the features I'd have liked, and I don't think their new combined bass/guitar one (GB10) does this either.

Also, being able to fine tune the loop start and end positions, which the new one does do.

And if you shift the pitch by much it starts to sound warbly.

And a built in rudimentary drum machine would be nice, but perhaps that's asking too much.

But, all in all still one of the best things I've bought.

I play loads of gigs and have done for years so things that improve that experience are my faves. The mic stand mounted drink sholder is a must for me that I've mentioned before. It's not just a pose- I 100% guarantee that if you don't have one then - one day sonner or later - your drink is going to be put on the top of your amp.

Low frequency shaky shaky -goodbye amp at best , goodbye bass player at worst and it's your own fault.

[quote name='Dr.Dave' post='1216685' date='May 1 2011, 05:02 PM']I play loads of gigs and have done for years so things that improve that experience are my faves. The mic stand mounted drink sholder is a must for me that I've mentioned before. It's not just a pose- I 100% guarantee that if you don't have one then - one day sonner or later - your drink is going to be put on the top of your amp.

Low frequency shaky shaky -goodbye amp at best , goodbye bass player at worst and it's your own fault.[/quote]

and here's the proof.....

My Fender 'Silver' Squire Jazz Bass made in Japan in 92-94. Cost me £200 from ebay and although I have a Geddy Lee and a 62 reissue (both made in Japan) both of which cost me considerably more, I have to admit it does sound the best of my 3 Jazzes . It's mainly because it has a much deeper punchier sound than the other 2 which is almost precision like and fits much better in the mix than a normal Jazz sound.
If you ever get the chance to buy one of these secondhand go for it. You'll be impressed.

Edited by gjones

Thanks for all these brilliant posts guys and gals.
A real mixture of answers, which was what I hoped for.
There's two main messages I've picked up on though.
1. I should dust off my Tascam and start using it again.
2. I need to get some proper moulded ear-plugs.
Cheers!

Mine has to be my Shuker Jazz 5.

The reason being is that I had a lovely Fender Jazz FMT 4 string that basically stopped me playing any 5 string I bought. Every time I bought a 5 string to learn on it could never measure up to my Fender and I always found myself picking up the Fender..................until I bought the Shuker.

To be fair to the Fender it was probably better than the Shuker and I was gutted when I sold it but the Shuker is by far the best 5 string I've played and is the only Bass I play these days (apart from my Crafter Acoustic in my acoustic band).

[quote name='munkonthehill' post='1216432' date='May 1 2011, 11:28 AM']Without a 2nd thought it has to be my fender jag.

Its the best playing bass that I have owned and although the sound maybe isnt as refined or 'hi-fi' as the higher end section of basses. However this all adds to the amazing voice this bass has.

I nearly sold/traded it a few times but always stayed with it. Im very glad I have.

My Ric on the other hand...............MAKE ME AN OFFER :)[/quote]

I also love my jag, its the worlds fastest bass to play. really unrefined, bad electronics, odd design. completely love'able.