Why become a member? ×

Temporary GAS insanity

Ross

I've just spent an inordinate amount on a bass body, budget wise I didn't intend on spending a third of what I ended up bidding.
Then I won and the reality set in "OH GOD WHAT WAS I THINKING?"
And in this stupor I paid from the wrong bank account (one with nothing in it) so I have to go and pay in the cash 9am tomorrow to avoid a charge...

Who else has ended up in some kind of mad GAS bidding war?

Just once.I always wanted a Thunderbird,even before I started playing.Being left handed kind of limited my options to bugger all,Gibsons being out of my price range ( not that they made many) and Epiphone followed suit by making none.Which left me cursing people with their affordable Tbirds that I would never have.Then one day,trawling Ebay,after many double takes I realised I was looking at an actual left handed Tbird,which I instantly got into an insane bidding war over.After my opponent peaked,I suddenly realise I had bid well over the retail price of a current production instrument I could have ordered for £150 less from my local music shop..Still,I got what I'd always wanted,and it's not Tokai's fault Thunderbirds don't suit my playing style and I hardly ever use it..Looks ace though.

I almost had this the other day - saw a MM Cutlass II fretless for sale, and had just been watching videos of Tony Levin playing Sledgehammer! BAD IDEA! Luckily I caught myself on before shelling out for it but who knows in the near future eh? Have to consider a few other options first though like a sensible bassist would do.

Awaiting arrival of a guitar amp, one of which I already have, won it on ebay, badly listed, knowing how good they are, stuck on a bid thinking 'it is worth so much more than that, I'll do the guy a favour and push the price', theoretically increasing the value of my own. So now I have two, good thing too, since Shockwave managed to break mine at tonight's jam.

wanted a pickup surround for my rick copy so it would look more like a rick, thought I could get it for a tenner, would have been happy. Got pissed, sat in on the end of the auction and spent nearly 60 on it, for a bit of flipping metal. Got worse, as when I put it on, the pickup I had for it didn't fit. Then it made funny clinky noises after I did some alterations to make it fit, and it cut my fingers.
I sold it on for a considerable loss to someone a lot less stupid.
Ironically I now have a hondo version of the surround on my rickenbastard, and am very happy with it, for a lot less dosh.

Yes, certainly. Rationality flies out the window and for some totally inexplicable reason "I'd quite like" becomes "I absolutely must own". And I wouldn't call myself a particularly spontaneous or impetuous person. I just don't know what comes over me.

When the red mist calms down, you just better hope you can live with the consequences :)

I almost plunged headlong into a deal for an Ampeg SVT 4, until I came to my senses with the realisation that I havn't done a gig for years and years that's needed that much power.

Don't need to blast down walls to have an ampeg sound. What was I thinking ?

Damn GAS !

[quote name='2wheeler' post='1213629' date='Apr 28 2011, 11:01 AM']Yes, certainly. Rationality flies out the window and for some totally inexplicable reason "I'd quite like" becomes "I absolutely must own". And I wouldn't call myself a particularly spontaneous or impetuous person. I just don't know what comes over me.

When the red mist calms down, you just better hope you can live with the consequences :)[/quote]

This is exactly how it is haha

I just spent over a third of my redundancy pay on an American Fender Special Jazz Bass and a Home Recording Rig. Damn it felt good at the time speccing all this gear out. Now I'm getting a bit twitchy.

I honestly started out wanting a bass and amp for around £250 and somthing to record my bass with :)

Don't tell me missus :lol:

[quote name='casapete' post='1213580' date='Apr 28 2011, 10:01 AM']Mrs CP has actually banned me from going on ebay when I'm a little tired and emotional..........[/quote]
Get drunk, calm down, and then go on ebay to buy stuff whilst drunk.

[quote name='4 candles' post='1214405' date='Apr 29 2011, 12:24 AM']regarding gas

a fellow basschatter recentlty commented " you always end back where you started from.

me thinks its true

forgrt about the sei, overwater etc
#
enjoy the playing!!!![/quote]

+100%

I've ended up with two different basses of the same type that I had about 3/4 years ago. Been through a few in the meantime, but now right back at square 1.....for now...!

Edited by spongebob