Why become a member? ×

Anybody going to see Geddy and friends next month??

Bobby K

[quote name='steverickwood' post='1213170' date='Apr 27 2011, 09:22 PM']Haha yeah - at least I think so. Does the guy from Chicago now play in a KISS tribute?:lol:
I'm glad they had Primus otherwise I may have missed that one and I was bored of the slap players I heard in the late 80s but Claypool seemed to make it a bit more 'attitude' for me so it was a changer for me. Yes - an amazing bass, although I shoved another EMG in it to get more tone. Trouble is, I'm terrified to take it to a lot of gigs!!!

I always wanted a Rick, but I don't do a gig where I could use it. It was the coolest thing though - all hail...Geddy Lee!![/quote]

I loved Les's bizarre style with the slap thing and the raking/strumming thing and tapping he did alongside it; yes, it was a fresh alternative to the more established old slappers like Mark King - but then I'm a massive Mark King fan too. :)

Not surprised you feel uneasy taking the Carl Thompson out, but hey, get it out there and show people what it can do :D An amazing bass that needs to be seen (and heard!)

I love Geddy's Rick tone, not to mention Chris Squier's too, and Bruce Foxton's and all the other great Rick players, but I've never really fancied one. Had a go of one years back and just didn't take to it :)

[quote name='Bobby K' post='1213241' date='Apr 27 2011, 10:11 PM']I loved Les's bizarre style with the slap thing and the raking/strumming thing and tapping he did alongside it; yes, it was a fresh alternative to the more established old slappers like Mark King - but then I'm a massive Mark King fan too. :)

Not surprised you feel uneasy taking the Carl Thompson out, but hey, get it out there and show people what it can do :lol: An amazing bass that needs to be seen (and heard!)

I love Geddy's Rick tone, not to mention Chris Squier's too, and Bruce Foxton's and all the other great Rick players, but I've never really fancied one. Had a go of one years back and just didn't take to it :)[/quote]

Yeah they sound great in the hands of foxton et al, but similarly, didnt work for me. The Thompson is getting use with my originals band but I think I'll avoid the local boozer! Its going to be a buzz seeing Rush again - I'm sure everyone has their own nostalgic era but it was exciting getting into bass back then and so many cool players were around and I had an immense time trying to make my Marlin sound like a Rickenbacker! (It didn't)

[quote name='steverickwood' post='1213478' date='Apr 28 2011, 07:55 AM']I had an immense time trying to make my Marlin sound like a Rickenbacker! (It didn't)[/quote]

As was the case with me and my Kay p bass copy :)

Already in debt up to my eyeballs or I'd be so on it being that Geddy is one of my favourite bassists and I'm pretty into Rush in general right now.
But seats? Man I don't think I could ever bare to go to a rock gig and sit down, I'd rather come out with agnoising back pain and numb feet than be that far back :)

Edited by Ross

Everybody stands anyway...

[quote name='Bobby K' post='1213542' date='Apr 28 2011, 09:30 AM']As was the case with me and my Kay p bass copy :)[/quote]

I got a fairly passable Rick tone out of my (since stolen) Kay that fooled some people, but it required me to really dig in, a bad habit that I've never shaken...

[quote name='jonsmith' post='1213574' date='Apr 28 2011, 09:52 AM']Everybody stands anyway...

I got a fairly passable Rick tone out of my (since stolen) Kay that fooled some people, but it required me to really dig in, a bad habit that I've never shaken...[/quote]

haha - that happened to me. On my first ever recording, I was told to refine my technique as the fret were clattering as I hammered the strings! I did refine it but still like to dig in:)

I must be fairly local to you - who do you play for?

If i dig in on my p bass nowadays, with lively strings, preshape activated on the Trace, as well as some high end boost on the graphic, i can get a Rick-esque crank Great for [b][i]Town called malice[/i][/b] at pub/wedding gigs :)

[quote name='Bilbo' post='1213747' date='Apr 28 2011, 12:40 PM']I saw them at Stafford Bingley Hall on the Moving Piuctures Tour (in the middle of the mob) and at Wembley on what was, IIRC, the Signals tour. I got a front row seat in front of Geddy Lee for that one. Happy days.[/quote]

Very nicely done Bilbo, two tours I wish I'd seen them, definitely :)

At Igliston for both of those tours, if memory serves me right.

[quote name='steverickwood' post='1213661' date='Apr 28 2011, 11:32 AM']haha - that happened to me. On my first ever recording, I was told to refine my technique as the fret were clattering as I hammered the strings! I did refine it but still like to dig in:)

I must be fairly local to you - who do you play for?[/quote]

If you're in Broadstairs, you're extremely local. Rock Candy is the only local band I play for, but we're not out playing just yet (although we're just putting the finishing touches on a few things & I expect we will be out there very soon). Who are you playing for?

[quote name='jonsmith' post='1213792' date='Apr 28 2011, 01:30 PM']At Igliston for both of those tours, if memory serves me right.

If you're in Broadstairs, you're extremely local. Rock Candy is the only local band I play for, but we're not out playing just yet (although we're just putting the finishing touches on a few things & I expect we will be out there very soon). Who are you playing for?[/quote]

erm - anyone who'll have me!! I do a few local acoustic duos (Mark smith, Jed, Gav alexander) and ocasionally stand in for local stuff like Blow, Llamas and so forth. Then I play with old friends from Medway (my hometown...) and whatever I can fit in. Thanet is what I call home these days. I teach at Christchurch uni.
I'll have to check you guys when you're up and running. Get out and do a beer in folk week hey?!

Been going to see them on and off (sadly more off than on) since Bingley Hall on the Permanent Waves tour in 79. Deeside in 81, too - what a great idea, stand on an ice rink for a couple of hours. I must have been a real fan to brave probably the worst two live venues in the country at the time... Bit too rich for my blood this time, tho I have an outside shot of a freebie from a mate. :)

My first 'proper' bass was a Jetglo 4001, thanks to Geddy. It was pretty awful, but I didn't realise that for years, because everyone else was so impressed... :)

[quote name='Bobby K' post='1213717' date='Apr 28 2011, 12:17 PM']If i dig in on my p bass nowadays, with lively strings, preshape activated on the Trace, as well as some high end boost on the graphic, i can get a Rick-esque crank Great for [b][i]Town called malice[/i][/b] at pub/wedding gigs :)[/quote]

I think by the time of 'Malice' Bruce was actually using a p bass anyway! back on topic, I'll be off to the cavernous shed that is Sheffield Arena to see Ged and the boys for (probably) one last time.

[quote name='Bobby K' post='1213542' date='Apr 28 2011, 09:30 AM']As was the case with me and my Kay p bass copy :)[/quote]

Do you have the documentary DVD from last year. It's a great insight into the band. Well worth buying.
My mates had my copy since last year. - Mmmmmm

Were you aware Geddy used a Jazz to record most of the earlier albums up to Moving Pictures. ?

How did he manage to make his Jazz sound like a Rick. ?
And we were all trying to make our Fenders sound like a Rick sound like a Fender - whow - confusing. ? :)

Hope you all have a great night.
I've been following Rush since 1975/76 first tour i saw was Farewell to Kings.
Even then they were way ahead of everyone else live.

And they didn't try to cover the mistakes on the live albums. That is true commitment to your fans and their art.

Incredible band.

YEP - I'm a big fan.

Cheers
Dave
:lol:

[quote name='dmccombe7' post='1213915' date='Apr 28 2011, 04:08 PM']Do you have the documentary DVD from last year. It's a great insight into the band. Well worth buying.
My mates had my copy since last year. - Mmmmmm

Were you aware Geddy used a Jazz to record most of the earlier albums up to Moving Pictures. ?

How did he manage to make his Jazz sound like a Rick. ?
And we were all trying to make our Fenders sound like a Rick sound like a Fender - whow - confusing. ? :)

Hope you all have a great night.
I've been following Rush since 1975/76 first tour i saw was Farewell to Kings.
Even then they were way ahead of everyone else live.

And they didn't try to cover the mistakes on the live albums. That is true commitment to your fans and their art.

Incredible band.

YEP - I'm a big fan.

Cheers
Dave
:D[/quote]

Yep, that'll be his black and white Jazz with the block markers. I had a Geddy signature Jazz until last year, sold it to someone on here. Never really got on with it strangely, the tone never sat right with me... :)

As for the documentary, yeah, I've got it. Such a great insight into the band. My girlfriend hates Rush but thought the film was great. I'll be giving it another watch before going to see them... :lol:

Saw them the last tour and so much fun on stage.
They all just seem to be great friends.

Alex always does something silly and is an absolute comedian.

Try reading Neil's books. Ghost Rider was an eye opener into how cruel life can be to one person. Although he struggled with it, he dealt with it in his own way and moved on and appears to be a happily married man again.

Another great read is the "Roadshow - Landscape of drums" book which is about Neil, his touring with the band, his drumming and his love of motorcycles. Quite a complex guy but very genuine and tells it like it is. This is also an eye opener into the world of Stadium Touring.

And to think they are all older than me too - :)

Where do they get that energy from.

PS :- Geddy hasn't changed stage side - just in case you were worried :lol: :)

Was going to go again this tour but even with the pre-sales tickets on offer the available seats were terrible at SECC in Glasgow and at that price I wasn't paying for a bad seat. Maybe next time.

Enjoy.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7

Yep going to see them at Manchester, I live in hope some band will have a good sound at the MEN it must be possible............ isn't it............. can't be that difficult........................... can it ??

Edited by bigd1

All you people complaining about the MEN are lucky, really. You should come and see a band at the Newcastle Arena.

'See' being the crucial term, as all you'll hear is a rotten mush which might just as well be two hundred wild boars fornicating in an oversized Roses tin.

[quote name='dmccombe7' post='1213915' date='Apr 28 2011, 04:08 PM']Were you aware Geddy used a Jazz to record most of the earlier albums up to Moving Pictures. ?[/quote]

Don't know where you got this from, but my understanding - mainly coming from interviews with Geddy - is that he didn't really use the Jazz [b]until[/b] Moving Pictures, but it features on most of the tracks on MP (including Tom Sawyer, which many people think is a Rickenbacker and confusingly he uses a Rick in the video). The first album was a Precision, after that it's mainly Rickenbacker (bit of P on By-Tor apparently) right through to Permanent Waves (where the Jazz starts to appear). Red Barchetta on MP is Rickenbacker. Signals is mainly Rickenbacker, with some Jazz (?Digital Man). Then Steinberger for GUP, Wal for Power Windows to Roll the Bones (although the Jazz appears in some videos), then back to the Jazz on Counterparts onwards.

[quote name='jonsmith' post='1214384' date='Apr 28 2011, 11:57 PM']Don't know where you got this from, but my understanding - mainly coming from interviews with Geddy - is that he didn't really use the Jazz [b]until[/b] Moving Pictures, but it features on most of the tracks on MP (including Tom Sawyer, which many people think is a Rickenbacker and confusingly he uses a Rick in the video). The first album was a Precision, after that it's mainly Rickenbacker (bit of P on By-Tor apparently) right through to Permanent Waves (where the Jazz starts to appear). Red Barchetta on MP is Rickenbacker. Signals is mainly Rickenbacker, with some Jazz (?Digital Man). Then Steinberger for GUP, Wal for Power Windows to Roll the Bones (although the Jazz appears in some videos), then back to the Jazz on Counterparts onwards.[/quote]

correct.

[quote name='jonsmith' post='1214384' date='Apr 28 2011, 11:57 PM']Don't know where you got this from, but my understanding - mainly coming from interviews with Geddy - is that he didn't really use the Jazz [b]until[/b] Moving Pictures, but it features on most of the tracks on MP (including Tom Sawyer, which many people think is a Rickenbacker and confusingly he uses a Rick in the video). The first album was a Precision, after that it's mainly Rickenbacker (bit of P on By-Tor apparently) right through to Permanent Waves (where the Jazz starts to appear). Red Barchetta on MP is Rickenbacker. Signals is mainly Rickenbacker, with some Jazz (?Digital Man). Then Steinberger for GUP, Wal for Power Windows to Roll the Bones (although the Jazz appears in some videos), then back to the Jazz on Counterparts onwards.[/quote]

Should have done my research before making any comments. My mistake guys - sorry.
What i heard was the Moving Pictures comment as stated above by "jonsmith".
Customised Precision was used on some earlier recordings.

He obviously used the WAL on the Bones album. No mistaking the WAL tone.

You guys are obviously more into it than i am and i stand corrected.
Sorry if I've offended.

Cheers
Dave
:)

Edited by dmccombe7

[quote name='dmccombe7' post='1214501' date='Apr 29 2011, 07:18 AM']Should have done my research before making any comments. My mistake guys - sorry.
What i heard was the Moving Pictures comment as stated above by "jonsmith".
Customised Precision was used on some earlier recordings.

He obviously used the WAL on the Bones album. No mistaking the WAL tone.

You guys are obviously more into it than i am and i stand corrected.
Sorry if I've offended.

Cheers
Dave
:D[/quote]

I think jonsmith is right about the basses Geddy used and when.

The Wal on Bones was a red one, with a slightly bigger body, with a longer horn than his black one and according to Ged, had a bit more bottom end and less twang. He used this Wal on that tour. Then for Counterparts, he dug out the faithful old black and white Jazz again.

Dave, I knew Geddy hadn't changed sides, by the way, i was just playing along :) I've got Ghost Rider in the house somewhere; I did start reading it but being the most indisciplined reader, I never finished it :) Must get round to it..

Let's face it, Geddy gets amazing tone no matter what bass he plays, I think we'd all agree.

An interesting part of it is that he digs in a lot with his fingernails. I read somewhere about him breaking one of his nails, perhaps his right hand index fingernail and that it grew back twice as strong. I think it's on the Rio dvd, he refers to it as his [i]"heavy bastard" [/i] :lol: